Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Jars at 23 days...going slow...is it me?
    #2875744 - 07/10/04 01:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So its been 23 days sence I inuculated my jars, and there going quite slow, I would say that on 2 of my jars colonization is about 80%. The sides of the jars are mostly covered in white goodness, but the bottoms of the jars are going slow to colonize. And my 3rd jar is really slow with only about half the jar on the sides covered and nothing on the bottom. I have keept the jars in a incubater at 85-89 degrees sence I started.

I'm just wondering am I on track? or is there a reason mabye why its taking so long? Do I just need to be patient or could there be something I have done wrong?

Also just a bit more info, I'm growing PR stain in half pint jars :tongue2:

Thanks all for your help  :confused:

--------------------
Anything I might post on this site is fictional, the only knowledge I have is from reading post's on this site. I do not conduct any illegal activites whatsoever in any way.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Loc: somewhere in Texas
Re: Jars at 23 days...going slow...is it me? [Re: McKennaFan]
    #2875768 - 07/10/04 01:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i think your temp might be a little hot, though im a noob, what do i know =P

--------------------
I wanna cross The Rainbow Bridge, and see my fathers in The Golden Hall. They beckon me, to join their feast. In my dreams, I hear their call.

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2875781 - 07/10/04 01:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yes your temp is too hot. If you look at the mycelium growth curve in relation to temperature, growth drops off drastically above 82F.

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
    #2875802 - 07/10/04 01:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yes its too long. try putting the jars upside down, i do that if some jars stops.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #2875821 - 07/10/04 01:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yes... its also time to flip your jars... turn them upside down and bang the lids on a tire to knock the cake onto the lid and free from the bottom of the jar... this will aid in colonizing the bottom... also lower your temps just a notch... good luck!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2875841 - 07/10/04 02:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Any holes for air exchange? Maybe they just cant breathe. Though temps are too high too...

Offlinekitteh
yeehaw

Loc: SC
    #2876130 - 07/10/04 05:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Why are the temps to high? I read the faqs here and they say optimal temp is 80-86f ??

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Jars at 23 days...going slow...is it me? [Re: kitteh]
    #2876158 - 07/10/04 05:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yeah they have air, took tape off hole about 2 weeks in. I'll adjust the temp a bit, but like Kitteh why is that to high, thats what the PFtek says to go by 85*  :confused:  Also my jars are flipped for about a week so I guess just be patient then..but normally do jars take this long with the PR strain? or what could have gone wrong?

--------------------
Anything I might post on this site is fictional, the only knowledge I have is from reading post's on this site. I do not conduct any illegal activites whatsoever in any way.

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2876272 - 07/10/04 06:18 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

ok I tapped the jars and they slid down quite a bit, mabye a quater of an inch of space is no open at the bottom of the jar. Thay are inverted, and looking good, is this normal for the cakes to slide that much, or did I tap to hard?

Thanks guys for the help really appricate it  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineQandA
wanderer

#2876580 - 07/10/04 09:33 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You're water content is prob too high. That will most certainly cause growth to slow. Anyone that says you temps are too high, they don't know wtf they're talking about. If your temps are below 90 degrees, then you're okay. I keep mine at 85-88 and they colonize in less than 2 weeks. If you see excessive moisture on the sides on the jars, then decrease the water next time. You can tell if the vermiculite looks like sludge. Just my 2 shits. Good luck!

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

Edited by QandA (07/11/04 07:03 PM)

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #2878236 - 07/11/04 04:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

optimal temperature has indeed been found to be 86 degrees using scientific methods...

what most people don't realize, is that the jars generate heat internally... if the air temp outside the jars is 86F, inside the jars and at the center of those jars is going to be much hotter...

think about it this way... optimal temp for a human is 98.6 degrees... but if its 98 degrees outside, you feel very hot and you start to suffer... drop that temp down to between 70-80, and you feel comfortable again, your body temp does not drop, it stays at 98.6...

now, i'm not saying that a PF jar regulates temperature anything like a human body does, only that 86F air temp is a bit too high for PF cakes...

those experiments that found the 86F optimal temp were done in a lab with agar plates... the dynamics, and thermodynamics, of a PF jar greatly differ from an agar plate

put your cakes in a room where the temperature feels comfortable to you, and you will have great results.

70- 80 is fine, and don't even think of adding a heat source unless nighttime temps go down into the 50's, or else that heater will do more harm than good.

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Jars at 23 days...going slow...is it me? [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #2885768 - 07/13/04 01:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ok well I'm starting to think mabye this is part of the problem, I also think mabye the water content was to high in my jars as well.

Its been 26 days now that my jars have been colonizing, still say 2 of my cakes are 90% done and the other cake is still sitting at 80% done. It seems like growth is practicly stopped, my jars are still inverted but nothing seems to be happening  :frown:

I'm noticing quite a bit of condinsation on the inside of my jars, so from what I have been reading this can slow down growth considerably. I decided to try to open the lids a bit, but alas their on there SUPER tight and I couldnt get them unscrewed LOL  :tongue:

So I'm working on that issue now, so any ideas on what I can do? I'm still really new to this and any help would be appricated. Also is there a point where it will just stop growing, or do factors just make it go really slow....I guess what I'm getting at is there a way that these jars could be a complete waste? Or will I just have to wait for them to grow at a snails pace?

Also I have never attemped casting but if the jars have stopped growing would this be a good idea to try out, to see if I ca nbring the life back to them? Also I have a perlite terrarium will castings do ok in that enviroment?

Thanks for all the halp again all--

--------------------

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #2885850 - 07/13/04 01:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

well, from what you describe, you might just have too much water in those jars... they will colonize right up to the part thats too wet and stop... if you are very clean and very careful, you can birth them, and very carefully remove anything uncolonised at this point... this method works ok if the uncolonized part is on the edge of the cake- if the center of the cake is uncolonized, i would suspect the culprit to be bacterial contams, in which case the jars are garbage now anyway...

but probably your problem is not contams, it seems to be too much water and heat... so you can wait another week, and see if they do recover, or try a partial birth...

a jar at 30 days that is still uncolonized fully probably won't ever...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Jars at 23 days...going slow...is it me? [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #2886051 - 07/13/04 02:33 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So Mike your saying cut away the part of the cake that is un-colonized? Also if I can get the lids open and get some of that water evaporated will that help or is it just best to try and birth, cut, and see what I can salvage? Also would you recommend a dunk/roll at this stage before fruiting...could that help any?

Thanks again

--------------------

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2886727 - 07/13/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

/bump anyone....I'm lost hehe

Thanks all--

--------------------

OfflineQandA
wanderer

#2886821 - 07/13/04 06:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

McKennaFan said:
So Mike your saying cut away the part of the cake that is un-colonized?  Also if I can get the lids open and get some of that water evaporated will that help or is it just best to try and birth, cut, and see what I can salvage? Also would you recommend a dunk/roll at this stage before fruiting...could that help any?

Thanks again

Yeah, you should go ahead and cut the uncolonized part off and birth them. That is, unless the uncolonized part is in the middle like Mike said. If the cake seems like it is pretty solid, I would go ahead and dunk and roll. If it feels a little shaky, I might skip that step this time. You want that cake to be a big firm fungus nugget before you dunk it. Hope it works out for you! Make sure to use a little less water next time. :smile:

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Re: Jars at 23 days...going slow...is it me? [Re: QandA]
    #2886950 - 07/13/04 07:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i have a jar as well, 2 of the innoculation holes didnt grow, so only a little bit more than half of the jar around the sides colonized, but the rest of it is bigginning to creep along the bottom. should i turn my jar over and let it rest on the lid?

--------------------
I wanna cross The Rainbow Bridge, and see my fathers in The Golden Hall. They beckon me, to join their feast. In my dreams, I hear their call.

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Re: Jars at 23 days...going slow...is it me? [Re: PaintedDeath]
    #2886988 - 07/13/04 07:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i just threw my jar away and gave up growing forever, and then went to my friends house and checked his out....

anyways, its doing pretty good. i just checked the bottom, and i can see myc, not coming from the sides, but actually threw the substrate. and its almost wrapped all the way around. my friend is pretty proud of his first attempt. im just waiting for it to blow up, cause thats just his luck =P

--------------------

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Re: Jars at 23 days...going slow...is it me? [Re: PaintedDeath]
    #2887011 - 07/13/04 07:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

MAN! my friend is hoping another week-week and a half and his cake will be ready to come outta the jar. next time he mixes up a batch, hes gonna try 4 cakes. maybe he'll take his grow chamber and turn it into a poormans pod.

one question though, if he was to just take the spray guard outta his grow chamber since hes using perlite, would that matter? cause that would free up allot of space in his chamber. hmmm.......

--------------------

OfflineJuan_del_Pueblo
Mr.Papashroom
 User Gallery

#2887144 - 07/13/04 08:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

McKennaFan
Are u working with pints? I work w/PR's all the time pints usualy take longer. Did u grind up your rice? Was it organic? If not, don't panic. I've had the PR's go up to 45 days before being fully colonized. It does seem like your temp is off. At 80-85f, I had the best grow spurts. When you do something wrong like 2 much water or temps off, it slows the growth. If there are no visual contams, just b patient. If you open the jars 4 some reason, ck the smell. Any other smell besides the sweet smell of mushies, probably means the worst. At 80-90% done I usually just flip the jar and put them in the fruiting chamber. It helps them pin better when the growth seems slow.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation