Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
ID Help Requested.
    #2854583 -

Hi. This is my first post - only been reading about mycology for a few weeks and about active mushrooms for a few days. I think I may have stumbled on a good find, though.

I have no way to post pictures so I will describe them as accurately as I can.

They have a dark brown nipple on the cap, almost black. The rest of the cap is grayish, getting lighter towards the edges, with intermittent brown spots. They are about 4-7" tall and have off-white, fibrous stems. They darken VERY slightly when bruised (I cut one in half vertically and ran my nails along the inside of the stem.)

I believe the gills are attached (I'm not 100% sure how to differentiate, but the cap does not pull easily from the stem.)
There are partial veil remnants on the stems, and one immature one still had a membrane.

The gills are dark purple, except in the immature one which has dark pink gills. One mature mushroom has a foot/cleft that is too small to be accurately described as a volvo but it is bulbous.

They caps look similar to some of the P. Weilii photos that Lizard King has posted, but I do not see veil remnants in his photos.

Could someone help me narrow down the possible species that this might be? Thanks much to anyone who takes the time.

I'm working on spore prints now.

- Manannan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Help Requested. [Re: Manannan]
    #2854592 -

By the way, I live in central Georgia and I found these amongst dead leaves and pinestraw in a mixed hardwood/conifer forest on the edge of some manicured lawns.

I just found some more dark-purple gilled mushrooms that are very similar but the caps are lighter. Taking a spore print on those as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Help Requested. [Re: Manannan]
    #2854636 -

The spore prints went quickly - they are dark, purple-black.

The second type of mushroom I found is also nippled, has a similar looking veil and foot, but is completely white on the cap with some off-white discolorings. The spore prints came out the same color as the first.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Help Requested. [Re: Manannan]
    #2854742 -

what color did the mushroom bruise? you said dark... was it dark blue? green? and look at the spore prints very carefuly in natural daylight and tell me what the exact color is... and it doesnt sound like an active to me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Help Requested. [Re: Manannan]
    #2854763 -

They bruised a darker color of their natural hue. The spore prints are a very dark purple.

Even if they aren't actives, could you help me identify them? I am still interested.

Thanks for your help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Non-Active ID request ChiefThunderbong 6,706 10 10/11/03 04:43 PM
by orizon
* ID 'request' (but not much info, sorry) koraks 5,165 6 01/11/04 03:15 AM
by koraks
* Found in northern orgon, ID Request puggymalone 6,904 15 10/13/23 10:32 AM
by Mr Piggy
* Dried MD-area ID Request (Newbie!) agentdss 6,364 10 10/15/03 03:40 PM
by agentdss
* id requested Da_Vine 4,274 8 07/07/04 08:16 PM
by canid
* Wild Mushroom ID Request Moon_Tea_Brewer 9,843 3 12/16/02 06:39 PM
by Anonymous
* ID request - England rock_ten 2,915 2 08/14/04 08:38 AM
by adamole666
* ID Request emeraldmist 892 4 11/14/04 03:33 PM
by emeraldmist

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
897 topic views. 0 members, 16 guests and 72 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.