Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
fruit flys in grow chamber
    #2799911 - 06/16/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well, recently my buddy has been finding fruit flys in his growing chamber. Hes working on a bulk straw grow, so the straw is in the bottom of a rubbermade type tub. He keeps the lid on but there are a few holes on each side. Hes hoping they're not breeding in his substrate... Every time he opens it up to fan it off, one or two will be in there either flying around or walking on the casing layer.

Are these harmful and is there anyway to get rid of them?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fruit flys in grow chamber [Re: day_tripper]
    #2799921 - 06/16/04 04:55 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #2800083 - 06/16/04 05:52 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

if the stuff is nice and healthy, youd be amazed how much mycellium and its fruits can withstand contamination. I wouldnt worry about fruitflys too much, every setup will face all sorts of contaminatiuon no matter what precautions people take.
But just cover up the holes, and it will cut the chance of contamination down that much more...

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Re: fruit flys in grow chamber [Re: Northernsoul]
    #2801391 - 06/17/04 03:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ugh i really hope they're not fungus gnats. I'll try to not smash one and see if it matches the description on magashs link. Either way, does anybody know a natural or fungi-safe way to get rid of these things? I hope they aren't laying eggs (*puke*) all up in my friends beautiful pinning casing layer. :frown:

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

#2801395 - 06/17/04 03:36 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i found this small thing:

Fungus gnats ride into the house on the fruit you just bought from the grocer. Run the sink full of water and add a dash of mild dishwashing soap. Amway LOC is good for things you plan to eat; Palmolive Green is good because it is pure soap. Swish your fruits -- apples, oranges, and especially bananas in the soapy water for a few seconds and let them dry. Fungus gnats hate soapy water. The soap breaks down their "waxy coating" so that they dehydrate and die.
----

Would it be a bad idea to make a weak soapy solution and mist it in my chamber? Im assuming it would probably fuck up the mycelium but its worth me asking to make sure.

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

#2801417 - 06/17/04 04:08 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, dont let the insects live in there. Ive lost a casing to those fuckers, but once its infested, its infested :frown:

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Re: fruit flys in grow chamber [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #2801423 - 06/17/04 04:21 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well i read about some stuff called "Gnatrol" and its used by commercial mushroom growers and such. It said it can be found at large gardening stores but im having trouble thinking if i have any big gardening stores around here. I live in a somewhat small town. Has anyone seen this stuff around a common store? If not i think i'll just go out tomorrow and look at as many stores as possible until i find it. (hope i can)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #2801427 - 06/17/04 04:28 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The problem is that if you already have an infestation thats not going to get rid of it. Its more of a preventative step. Or at least thats what i thought. Even if it did kill the larvae that are eating away at your mushrooms, if thats the problem you have, then when you went to eat your mushies youd be eating a bunch of dead maggots. Doesnt sound real appealing to me. If you are infested, trash it, disenfect like a mother fucker and start over.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Re: fruit flys in grow chamber [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #2801449 - 06/17/04 04:45 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

well i think my friend is gonna ride it out either way. Hes put too much work into it to not atleast see how it turns out. Plus i think if you dry mushrooms quickly if they're not already eaten away, the nasty maggots will try to escape the drying mushroom. Also i've read they're not poisonous, and actually full of protein. Either way it wouldnt settle too well with me, but i'll update you all with whatever happens with his bulk casing.

InvisibleMESCALATO
hunting.
 User Gallery

Loc: Central Alabama
    #2801528 - 06/17/04 05:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

from my exp with them from about two years ago i tried to wait it out, got a few crappy flushes from the spawned poo infected with gnats, and tossed it.
got ready to fruit secon "clean" spawned horse poo and with in a week or so later more gnats. how did i get rid of them? i threw any available food sorce away, compost, manure, even colonizing brf cakes, cleaned and packed up all of my equipment, and moved to a new house.

i know i didnt have to move but was doing so anyway. but i would suggest to chunk what youve got ( mabey get some outdoor fruit off of it) throw away anything gnats might eat, pack up you afaof's stuff and wait about 2-3 weeks before stating a new attempt.

--------------------

OfflineShift
qwerty
    #2801575 - 06/17/04 06:40 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Try to find a product called diatomacious earth (DE). I think that it is a powder of fossilized micro organisms called diatoms. It feels like what I'd imagine ground coral to feel like. I add this stuff to my casing formula with a ratio of .3 qt. DE to 15 quarts of casing material. I mix it in with the buffers. I am not sure if this is an optimal ratio, just an educated guess. The stuff is basicaly like fine sand i think, so the only way that you can over do it would be if you added enough to your casing to make it structuarlly unsuitable for boomerz... It would take a hell of alot of DE to do that.

From what I've heard, the stuff is microscopicly, extremely jagged. All the little spikes pierce the waxy coating that keeps the bugs workings in balance. They die. Hopfully they do so before laying eggs. Even they do manage to lay eggs or they already have a foot hold, the DE should help.

I've tried dusting infested casings w/ DE but it is quite hard to do so w/o making a mess, this stuff is like baby powder. I think its prolly best to mix it in before hand. I've also tried mixing it w/ water and spraying it around, but that broke the mister.

While it is totally natural, and it seems to be mostly inert, U should wear a mask when dealing w/ this stuff, it makes all kinds of clouds, and i cant imagine that it's very healthy to breath.

You can buy it at pool supply stores, it is used in filtration. Thats where i found it anyway... I ended up w/ a 50# bag, a lifetime supply. It was like 20 bux at most. I hear you can find it @ aquarium stores as well. I think it is considerably more expensive those places though. The up side is that you wont have a huge 50# bag of white powder lying around.

Using conventional flytraps helps too, those little yellow glue mats work well. I've also heard that shining a light on a tub of soapy, sugary water can kill lots of flys.

good luck, and remember that nothing gets rid of flys like a good cleaning of the house and the terrarium.

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Re: fruit flys in grow chamber [Re: Shift]
    #2803702 - 06/17/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for all the advice shift.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #2803853 - 06/17/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

work some venus fly traps in there(they like the humidity), but go with other suggetions first!

mycomancer

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract