Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

ive been looking for 3 days straight! grrrr
    #2772196 - 06/07/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

ive been going to state parks, base ball parks, etc. the one park i went to was well over 20 miles in diamiter spell check) i didnt even find oyster mushrooms growing off of trees, nothing not a thing.

perhaps it was a lil cold?
ive been finding pan. foes like crazy so i figured well those are growing maybe perhaps others have had a chance. i know this is ohio and all but hey there has to be some chance.
i looked so hard that i found snakes bunny rabbits birds landing in front of me every 20 minutes ( i move quiet and look good).
today its 84 degrees theres a park where i found those ink caps at im thinking about checking it out. what im trying to ask is.................
since im in ohio and there are really only 4 species that im likely to encounter what temp should i wait for and how high should the humidity be before i go off to search..... oh yeah when i did search those 3 days i waited till about 6pm and searched till night

hope i can get a few hints and encouragement.

im even hoping to find some edibles ( like ones you can cook with)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejben
Don't panic, it's organic
 User Gallery
Re: ive been looking for 3 days straight! grrrr [Re: JoeyBond]
    #2772842 - 06/07/04 07:25 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

well thats great and all, but no1 really would reply to these cept me since im a crack head. (not really). but keep hunting... thats all it takes.. plus 84 is hot. mushrooms such as pan subbs stop growing around 86. so 84 is almost the cut off.

--------------------
Don't panic, it's organic!

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #2772947 - 06/07/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

86 is optimal growing temps, it may be different for subs but i wouldn't know... And whatever the shroomery says grows there.... well... then thats what grows there. and it is possible that another shroom could grow there at one point in time but its not something commonly found there and probably wont be found there again... and IMO, morning is the best to go out and look cause its so humid with all the morning dew and stuff, usualy later in the afternoon they have dried out in the sun. good luck.

OfflineGForce
Tux The Stoner

Loc: The PNW
    #2773127 - 06/07/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Wait after a nice period of rain and go check the fields before it gets too hot again. Good Luck

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: ive been looking for 3 days straight! grrrr [Re: GForce]
    #2773319 - 06/07/04 09:53 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

done that too ive even done the wait two days worth of sun afterwords
perhaps it doesnt grow this far north or in this region

i really wish you all had representatives from all states lol

Offlinesea_of_weed
Devil without acause
Loc: Planet Earth
    #2773353 - 06/07/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

just grow ur own

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: ive been looking for 3 days straight! grrrr [Re: sea_of_weed]
    #2773412 - 06/07/04 10:50 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

that ive been thinking about but will someone tell me how to do it in simpler terms for sakes damn i check that forum and faq out and it blew my mind its so hard!

im really serious about this shit i hate ohio its pure luck if you find anything up here i swear to god this state need to be burnt or moved to the south lol

contact me dude refer to this thread to give me permission to help a poor feller out dude

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2773561 - 06/07/04 11:50 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

None of your posts are coherant. Why bother?

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: ive been looking for 3 days straight! grrrr [Re: Gumby]
    #2773734 - 06/08/04 12:52 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

ok that does it ive booked for a flight in december of this year for amsterdam

easy does it

ill just continue to try untill that date.

by the way i know there are some ohio folks that are having the same problems!

OfflineGForce
Tux The Stoner

#2773829 - 06/08/04 01:38 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

OK I will 'basically' explain the easiest method there is but you really should check the Guides/FAQs...

You get some 1/2 pint jars and sterilise them, take vermiculite and brown rice flour. Mix just enough water for the brown rice flour to coat the vermicultite (no powdery residue should be left). Spoon in the mix into the jars leaving about an inch for dry vermiculite. Make sure the mix isn't packed in, but loose for the mycelium to grow freely. then put that 1" of dry verm on top and take aluminum foil and tightly cover the top. Take the lid and poke 4 holes (top, bottom and side to side) and take the lid and flip it upside down and put it on top of the jar. secure the lid with the band. Sterilise the spore syringe and inoculate each hole with about 0.25cc (you can use more, but at LEAST use this much) sterlising the needle each hole you press. Take masking tape and cover the holes and put in dark, room temp (80 degrees recommended) spot until white mycelium covers the entire mix, take the cake out of the jar and place in terrarium to fruit.

Seriously, read the guides first...

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

#2774067 - 06/08/04 07:40 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

lol i gotta find a specimen first oh well. at least you tried right
thanks thou lol if i gotta find a specimen thats gonna be the hardest part.

i know you all find it hard to believe but i read the faq's on the cultrivation for beginners and the faq for hunting, the hunting one ive read many times over.

its just that there arent no horse farms around here, nor cow farms. mjshroomer told me that im very unlikely to find anything on cow shit up this far north anyhow.
what i really needed is more specific details, like what type of wilderness to look in, thick, with medium bushes everywhere, or thick with low cut bushes, or lose forests.
i swear to god ive read that faq many times over for hunting!
i even wrote the key things down to help me memorize it.

anyhow thanks for your time

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #2774409 - 06/08/04 10:31 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

He man have you ever heard of FSRCanada??? You just ask for the "strain" you want(they have a list). Pay them a dolar for shipping and they give you a spore print for educational puposus, like studying them under microscopes.

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: ive been looking for 3 days straight! grrrr [Re: Stonerguy]
    #2774452 - 06/08/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/24023
say's vvv
One of the best things you could do would be to get yourself a book on mushrooms. The recommendations at the Hunting forum tend to be US-centric, so you should check your local bookstores for books on mushrooms of your country. If you can get a couple books, that's often a good idea. A list of recommended books mainly for the US can be found here.
Good mycology books for field mycology have keys. Keys are a list of choices where you choose between alternatives and are directed to different places in the book. For example, a typical early choice in the key will be based on what color the spore print is. Don't waste too much time on the big coffee table books with the pretty photographs, at least not at first. Those can be fun books to thumb through, but they're usually not that helpful for identifying mushrooms you find in the woods.

Then go out and find some mushrooms. At first, don't waste time picking everything in sight. You're not going to be able to identify all you find. Stick to a few fairly distinctive, common species. In other words, what are the mushrooms you see most often when you're out looking for them? Pick several and bring them home to identify.

Expect to take a couple hours trying to identify the first ones you find. And expect to be wrong in the end. That's OK. The time you spent reading and trying to ID them will help you next time. As you do it, you'll get better at knowing what you should be looking for.

If you know somebody locally who hunts mushrooms (not just actives or whatever), ask them for assistance. Mushroom people tend to be helpful.

For the first year or two, try to not spend all your time looking at LBMs (Little Brown Mushrooms). They're difficult for everybody, including professionals, to identify. In fact, expect that, no matter how good you get, you will never be able to identify every mushroom you find. I don't know a professional mycologist who can just tell you what every mushroom is.

If there is a mycological society nearby, they often have several experts among their members. Mycological societies tend to be organized mostly by and for people hunting mushrooms to eat, not get high on, so if your interest is in the latter you should be discreet. You especially need discretion if your country has laws prohibiting the possession or use of active species - prisons aren't good places to be anywhere in the world. Even so, you may meet others with your same interests in mushrooms there.

Above all, get out there and find mushrooms, and try to identify them yourself. There are places like this one to help you with the latter task. But help yourself by trying to identify them yourself first, even if only to genus. And let us know what your guess is, so we can confirm it or show you why you're wrong (most of us learn more from our mistakes than our successes).

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23483
say'svvvv
Ohio
Psilocybe azurescens . (Introduced).
Psilocybe caerulipes
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Gymnopilus spectabilis = G. junonius
Gymnopilus aeruginosus

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23484
say'svvv
Active mushrooms grow on a variety of things (substrate) but primarily they grow on horse or cow manure, dead wood or mulch, and on the ground in the grass. Here is a list of active species matched to the thing or substrate that they grow on.

Horse manure (dung):

Panaeolus subbalteatus

Cow manure (dung):

Copelandia cyanescens
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Psilocybe cubensis

Mulch or dead wood and debris:

Psilocybe azurescens
Psilocybe cyanescens

Grass-covered ground:

Psilocybe semilanceata
Panaeolus subbalteatus

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23482
say'svvvv
Which species can be found growing where and when?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conocybe cyanopes
Found from May through September usualy in dense shade scattered among mosses, and in wet soil around bogs, swamps, and ditches in the northwestern USA and as far east as Michigan. Carpophores grow well in sphagnum moss having a range of pH 7-8.

Panaeolus(=Copelandia) cyanescens

Found in early summer through late autumn scattered, grouped, or clustered on cow dung, or rich soil in Florida and other southern states. Spores germinate easily easily on all agar media. Optimum growth occurs on MEA at 80 degrees F. Carpophores can be produced on uncased compost or on rye.

Panaeolus foenisecii

(Also known as Paneaolina foenisecii or Psilocybe foenisecii, and commonly known as haymower's mushroom or harvest mushroom)

Found in late spring and early summer, or in July, August, and September during cool, wet seasons scattered or grouped in large numbers on lawns, pastures, and other grassy places throughout the USA and in Quebec. Tests on specimens found in Washington revealed no psilocybin, but eastern specimens were potent.

Panaeolus sphinctrinus

Found in summer and autumn in small groups in forests, pastures, fields, and roadsides almost always on cow dung in many temperate parts of the world.

Panaeolus subalteatus

Found from spring to autumn grouped or clustered often in rings up to two feet in diameter on open ground, freshly manured lawns, straw piles, all types of compost, dung piles, and roadsides in Ontario and throughout the USA (especially in Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Washington, and Oregon). Optimum growth on MEA is at 86 degrees F. It occasionally occurs as a weed mushroom in commercial mushroom houses.

Pholiotina cyanopoda

Found in August through September solitary to clustered on lawns in such diverse parts of the USA as New York, Washington, and Colorado.

Psilocybe baeocystis

Found in autumn and winter, solitary, grouped, or clustered on earth, lawns, mulch, and decomposing forest wood near scattered trees especially conifers -- in western Oregon and Washington. It does well on Agar media at 77 degrees F. This is a potent species containing Psilocybin, psilocin, baeocystin, and nor-baeocystin. Perhaps it is because of the latter two alkaloids that it is the most visually hallucinogenic of the psilocybin mushrooms. There is a report that in 1960 a six-year old boy died after eating a large number of these mushrooms. There has never been any other indication that these alkaloids are dangerous. Until there is further clarification of this question, we advise that anyone using this species proceed with caution by starting with small doses and progressing gradually to larger ones. This is especially important when using the extracted crude alkaloids which may contain large concentrations of the baeocystin alkaloids.

Psilocybe caerulescens

Found in the summer during rainy season, grouped or clustered but rarely solitary, mostly in shady places on soil, sugar cane mulch, recently turned earth or stream banks -- in Alabama, northern Florida and Mexico. The Mexican variety P. caerulescens var. mazatecorum is known locally as "Durrumbe", which means "landslides." There it is often found among landslides, or near corn or coffee plantations. The mycelium does best on MEA at 81 degrees F. Thermal death occurs at 95 degrees F. It is almost impossible to produce carpophores on sterilized rye medium. They can be grown on vegetable compost in dim light, but the incubation period is long (55-85 days). Although this species is resistant to white mold it's long incubation period leaves it prone to other diseases. It is not one of the more potent species.

Psilocybe caerulipes

Found in summer and occasionally autumn solitary or clustered on decomposing logs and debris of hardwood trees (especially birch and maple) in New York, New England states, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, Tennessee and Ontario.

Psilocybe cubensis

Found from February to November in compact groups in clearings outside forest areas, on cow dung, or horse dung, in rich pasture soil, on straw, or on sawdust/dung mixture in Mexico, Cuba, Florida and other southern states. It grows well on MEA at 86 degrees F. Carpophores appear in 4-8 weeks. Thermal death occurs at 104 degrees F. Carpophores larger than wild specimens can be produced by inoculating vegetable compost in clay pots with agar grown mycelium, casing with silica sand/limestone mix, and incubating 4-6 weeks in daylight at 68 degrees F. It does poorly in darkness. It is a potent mushroom and very resistant to contaminants.

Psilocybe azurescens

Found in autumn scattered, grouped, or clustered in woods, on earth, among leaves and twigs, and occasionally on decomposing wood -- in northwestern USA.

Psilocybe cyanescens

Found in autumn scattered, grouped, or clustered in woods, on earth, among leaves and twigs, and occasionally on decomposing wood -- in northwestern USA.

Psilocybe mexicana

Found from May to October isolated or sparsely at altitudes from 4500 to 5500 feet, especially in limestone regions, among mosses and herbs, along roadsides, in humid meadows, in cornfields, and near pine forests in Mexico.

Psilocybe pelliculosa

Found September to December scattered, grouped, or clustered on humus and debris, in or near conifier forests in northwestern USA and as far south as Marin County, California. This is a small but potent species.

Psilocybe quebecencis

Found from summer to late October scattered in shady areas at forest edges, on sandy soil containing vegetable debris regularly inundated by river flooding, and on decomposing wood and debris (especially birch, alder, fir, and spruce) in the Quebec area. It thrives at lower temperatures than other Psilocybe species and produces carpophores at air temperatures of 43 to 59 degrees F.

Psilocybe semilanceata

Found August through December (with the main season being in October and November) often in large groups on soil, among grasses, in clearings, pastures, meadows, forest edges, open conifier woodlands, and on roadsides -- but never on dung -- in New York, northern USA, British Columbia, and Europe. Generally regarded as one of the most potent species.

Psilocybe strictipes

Found in October rather clustered on soil or on decomposing wood and debris, on conifiers and some other trees in northwestern USA (especially in Oregon). It closely resembles P. baeocystis, but has a longer stem. It tends to be as visually hallucinogenic as that species and probably contains the same or similar baeocystin alkaloids.

Psilocybe sylvatica

Found in September and October in small compact but unlustered groups in woods on leaf mold, debris (especially beech wood), around stumps and logs, but not usually on them -- from New York to Michigan and as far north as Quebec and Ontario. This mushroom is small and is often mistaken for P. Pelliculosa.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23485
say'svvv
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copelandia cyanescens

Found in early summer through late autumn scattered, grouped, or clustered on cow dung, or rich soil in Florida and other southern states.

Psilocybe cubensis

Found from February to November in compact groups in clearings outside forest areas, on cow dung, or horse dung, in rich pasture soil, on straw, or on sawdust/dung mixture in Mexico, Cuba, Florida and other southern states. It grows well on MEA at 86 degrees F. Carpophores appear in 4-8 weeks. Thermal death occurs at 104 degrees F. Carpophores larger than wild specimens can be produced by inoculating vegetable compost in clay pots with agar grown mycelium, casing with silica sand/limestone mix, and incubating 4-6 weeks in daylight at 68 degrees F. It does poorly in darkness. It is a potent mushroom and very resistant to contaminants.

Panaeolus subbalteatus

Found from spring to autumn grouped or clustered often in rings up to two feet in diameter on open ground, freshly manured lawns, straw piles, all types of compost, dung piles, and roadsides in Ontario and throughout the USA (especially in Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Washington, and Oregon). Optimum growth on MEA is at 86 degrees F. It occasionally occurs as a weed mushroom in commercial mushroom houses.

Psilocybe semilanceata

Found August through September often in large groups on soil, among grasses, in clearings, pastures, meadows, forest edges, open conifer woodlands, and on roadsides -- but never on dung -- in New York, northern USA, British Columbia, and Europe. Generally regarded as one of the less potent species, but is sometimes quite potent.

Psilocybe azurescens

Found in autumn scattered, grouped, or clustered in woods, on earth, among leaves and twigs, and occasionally on decomposing wood -- in
northwestern USA.

Psilocybe cyanescens

Found in autumn scattered, grouped, or clustered in woods, on earth, among leaves and twigs, and occasionally on decomposing wood -- in
northwestern USA.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25048
say'svvv
How long do I have to wait after it rains to find mushrooms?

This is based on my P. cubensis hunting experience; hunting cow fields in Louisiana.
Best rule of thumb is that you need to wait till after the next hot day. There will be a few during the rains or even before, but not enough to spend your time for. Basically, what you are looking for is the first hot sunny day after a rain. that night will be the best pickings. In some cases, the fields will be too soggy. These scenarios require patience. Assuming you get multiple sunny days after the rain, go every night to check if the field is dry enough to fruit some mushrooms. During these trips to the field, you may find a few here and there. Remember where these singles are as theres a good chance the area will fruit abundantly after the field dries a little.

The list goes on,and on.

I tried to help,but I'm not doing so good,so I will let you be!

--------------------

OfflineGForce
Tux The Stoner

Re: ive been looking for 3 days straight! grrrr [Re: Stonerguy]
    #2774550 - 06/08/04 11:40 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

And if you do happen to go that route of growing your own, as StonerGuy said.Theres FSRCanada or FSRE

All you need to do is send in $1 US dollar to FSRCanada and they send you a print that they have on their list. Make the spore syringe by taking a shotglass and filling it up a bit with water, take the print and the needle and scrap about 1/5 to 1/4 of the print into the water and stir with needle. Then carefully suck up all the water, that way you don't suck up air.

But remember, the keyword to Mushroom Cultivation is "Sterile". Everything has to be sterile, No windows open for bacteria and shit to fly in, the table has to washed down with bleach, the needle has to be flame sterilised and used with ISO for cooling and extra sterilisation.

If you seriously take Sterilisation into account, then you shouldn't have any serious run-ins with trouble. Good Luck

BY THE WAY... I wouldn't go to FSRCanada, they don't have a good selection like FSRE does... So check out FSRE (it may be $2 US Dollars, but hell its only an extra buck for better selection)

FSRE.org is their website

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

#2775027 - 06/08/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

thats the route im going for the past 4 hours ive been re-reading the cultivation section fucker is long too.
anyhow thanks for the effort on that big list lol
i know you wont believe this but that i already knew you got that off of mushroom johns site.
but the effort was appreaciated.
i think the only luck im gonna have is to grow them fucker my self
thanks

p.s the other site was telling me that its illegal to get the spores in ohio and somwhere else but the spore print places says its georgia and california

OfflineGForce
Tux The Stoner

#2775503 - 06/08/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

What are you talking about? I typed that with my own words...

Show me where Mushroom John speaks the same way I do..

Edited by GForce (06/08/04 05:41 PM)

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

#2775717 - 06/08/04 07:03 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

sorry i forgot to reply to docs lol

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2776105 - 06/08/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Nothing I stated in my prior post to this thread has anything to do with MJ's website!
I found everything here VVVV
http://www.shroomery.org/
Just like you can.

--------------------

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: ive been looking for 3 days straight! grrrr [Re: doc34]
    #2776126 - 06/08/04 09:25 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

oh well alot of it sounded familar from mjshroomers site

lol i guess i pissed a few off tonight lol sorry

p.s i have offically given up on ohio

am resorting to growing

but im still gonna look im just not gonna ask any more

unless of course i find something that i truly think is worht posting or asking about

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2776187 - 06/08/04 09:46 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Then start here VVV
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593

I don't mean to be an ass,buddy,but I have been very nice to you and went out of my way to help you,but,you seem to me to be disrespecting my efforts to help by not even makeing an attempt yourself.Yeah,you read a few paragraphs,find something you like then you post a question that only a child would ask."hey doc are they saying that theres something in those syringes? hint? or should i shut up while im ahead of my self?",geesh dude get real,read!Then if you have any common sense at all you should be able to tell the difference between a syringe(just an empty syringe) and a spore syringe(spores in a syringe).You would know that this is how mycologists and hobbyists innoculate their mushroom substrate in order to grow mushrooms.I think it is all covered in this TEK VVVV
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593

yep,it say's,what? VVVVV

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593/pag/7

Wow,you can even make your own,hmmmmmm?????

BTW, How old are you?

I don't know buddy but your given me the impression that the time I spent searching for you has been a waste of my time.Sorry for being an ass!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order