Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
I need some advice about college
    #2748367 - 05/30/04 11:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well....

To make a long story short, I'm going back to college, and THIS time, I'm going to try and stick it out all the way through.  Mother says that it's my last chance to go if I want her to help pay for it, and I've decided that I'm going to do it. 

I need some advice though in regards to finding a major and stuff...my instinct and the writer in me, says to pick English, or Creative Writing.  My main goal with college is to learn things that I don't know, things that will aid me in my writing. 

I am also interested in Philosophy, but I hesitate because I am uncertain as to what "Philosophy" is actually about, or what majoring in Philosophy would entail. 

Essentially...I would just like everyone's opinions on all of this.  I'm rather anxious about the entire thing, because the thought of being committed to college for years on end is daunting to me.  That's why I quit college before, because I freaked out at the thought of being enslaved to education for years on end.  I guess I feel a little insecure about it. 

Any advice/votes of confidence/information is appreciated.  :heart:

thanks Pub

*me*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRequiem
More Better

Loc: Hangin' out on the Sealab
Re: I need some advice about college [Re: MOTH]
    #2748412 - 05/30/04 11:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

As for your major i can't help ya with that.
I hated High School, but I like college. At first I also hated it, but you have a lot of freedom to do what ever you want.
Only thing I can do is to wish you good luck. College isn't bad, you just have to find something you like and run with it.

Sorry I just go off work so....ya...tired :yawn:

:goodluck:

--------------------

"I want your Soul.
I will eat your soul."
-Aphex Twin

:dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing:

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
    #2748413 - 05/30/04 11:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Philosophy is easy for some people and very difficult for others. I'll tell ya right now that there are two things Philosophy majors can do with their degree.

1. teach philosophy
2. work for someone who just wants a smart philosopher around to talk with.

I mean there are other things you can do, but those are the tow major things you can do with your degree. I wouldn't declare a major right away, and take a few philosophy classes to see if you like them. I suggest taking a class on Logic, you'll learn some awesome stuff.

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: I need some advice about college [Re: discoabe]
    #2748484 - 05/30/04 11:29 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

actually, it doesn't matter what you major in when you're looking for a job afterward (countless advisors have told me that here). employers just want to see that you can conform and buckle down when shit gets hectic. that's all the education at school is for, forget what they're teaching you because its about learning how to learn, the content is just filler.

so with that said, pick something to major in that you will really enjoy and the 'learning how to learn' process will be much more tolerable, perhaps even fun. take a variety of classes during your first year and you'll develope a sense for what works for you and what doesn't. best of luck.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

OfflineILoveCowShit
TranscendentalistShroomer
Loc: ATL shawdy dont disrespek...
Re: I need some advice about college [Re: TheDude]
    #2748547 - 05/30/04 11:45 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I can definitely realte to you. Im in high school right now but im already searching for what i want to do, thus far the onyl lead i have is that i love to write. and as it turns out, i seem to be pretty lucky, for i have someone very close to me who holds the answers to many of my questions of where writing can lead me. My brother is gay, and his partner is one of the most knowledgable and intelligent people i have ever met. he too is an incredible writer who has posessed his love for writing since childhood. from what ive learned from him, the college does not matter. he went to small schools got an MFA(master of fine arts), went back to grad school and got his phd. he lived at walden pond for 6 months and wrote his dissertation on thoreau and his life. he is now around 35 or so and is insanely successful. he told me that today many people in a position to hire are looking for MFA's, much more so than MBA's. this is because people with MFA's, especially writers, not only have an extensive education, but a knowledge of how to communicate very well and put both concrete and abstract thoughts down on paper. An MFA opens the doors to communications, advertising, public relations, etc. btw, my brothers partner owns a public relations firm. i guess what im tryin to say is contrary to what most people think, writing REALLY can take u places. just be smart, pick ur major/minor carefully and be sure to take in as much as you can. if u love writing than pick related classes which ull enjoy and cover all the aspects (creative, critical, journalism, etc.) whatever i know this is a ramble but hey fuck it. have fun in college and go for it man. write and enjoy yourself. success is what you make it.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#2748815 - 05/31/04 01:30 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I studied philosophy for two years.
It's probably harder than You think now and prepare to read like >100 books a year... And You don't need a degree to be a philosopher. IMO You can't really learn philosophy :crazy:

Well Philosophy, Psychology, Biology, Physics is between what I'm choosing :smile:

Damn. You reminded me I want to get back into the University this year too...
6 days till the exam and I still haven't opened a book :shiftyeyes:
*looks for the book*

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: I need some advice about college [Re: ivi]
    #2748827 - 05/31/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ivi said:
I studied philosophy for two years.
It's probably harder than You think now and prepare to read like >100 books a year... And You don't need a degree to be a philosopher. IMO You can't really learn philosophy :crazy:

That's a good point...

What I'll probably end up doing is taking my required classes and then take some philosophy classes as well, to feel it all out.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2748933 - 05/31/04 02:08 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You go to college to make money. Remember that.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisiblePJDIDDLE
Female
Re: I need some advice about college *DELETED* [Re: MOTH]
    #2749043 - 05/31/04 02:43 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by Script

Reason for deletion: .

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2749322 - 05/31/04 07:44 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

IMO, you don't need a degree in creative writing to know that you're a writer. If you're interested in writing and you want a degree that has something along those lines, get the English degree. That way you can get employed because of your English degree while writing on the side or in your free time.

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2749333 - 05/31/04 07:55 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheDude said:
that's all the education at school is for, forget what they're teaching you because its about learning how to learn, the content is just filler.

I would that your assertion is probably correct for the 'liberal arts' but it's definately not true for the sciences.

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

Re: I need some advice about college [Re: PJDIDDLE]
    #2749344 - 05/31/04 08:03 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

script said:
Screw English, in my opinion it is a wasted degree.

IMO, it's just as useless as any other arts degree. When combined with something else (eg// a major in english and a minor in a science, it can be very useful).

Quote:

The fact is you don?t have a lot of options with a degree like that and I don?t care whose friend did what.

It depends where you live. I live in a city which has a huge financial sector. They'll hire people with arts or fine arts degrees. It doesn't matter what the major was.

Quote:

Not to mention it would be one of the easiest degrees to achieve. . .

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:

Even though I don?t happen to excel in this field I am confident that I could easily complete a English major.

English isn't about writing and spelling and grammar man. Studying English is basically applying philosophy to language. Studying English is very intense and it involves studying a lot of literary theory. Many of the literary theories taught in English classes are the same theories used by other disciplines such as history and anthropology, so in some ways an English degree is quite versatile. IMO, combining it with a minor or double major in science is the best idea though.

Quote:

Also if you want guaranteed money do a subject that involves allot of Math. The more Math you know the more Money you make, it?s that simple.

False. A major in mathematics will not make you much money. A major in physics has a little less math and it will probably make you pretty good money. A major in chemistry requires relatively little math and will virtually guarantee you employment.

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: I need some advice about college [Re: Phencyclidine]
    #2749353 - 05/31/04 08:09 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

care to explain why? because i fail to see how it doesn't apply to the sciences.

im talking about in the long run, school teaches you how to learn. that is what sticks with you, not the silly facts or equations that faciliate the growth of your learning capabilities/capacity.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2749637 - 05/31/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I was more referring to the statement that the "content is filler." Also, by "learning to learn" the way I understood that was that you meant that colleges are teaching specific skills. In the arts, those skills can be separated from the specific discipline that is being studied and thus the content is irrelevant. In sciences, many of those skills cannot be separated from the discipline. You cannot really learn how to run NMRs by learning theory or by learning how to do SDS PAGE. Also, even much of the theory taught in upper year science classes is specific. Yes, some of what is being practiced is reasoning logically, but learning about general relativity probably won't help you tackle problems in organic synthes. On the other hand, as I pointed out in a previous post, learning cultural constructivism theory and the skill of how to "read" any symbollic construction in a literary theory class could easily be applied to other contexts such as history, anthropology or psychology.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale