Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Tacos

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
What do you do for a living(I need advice)?
    #3536447 - 12/23/04 05:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What is your job? What does it entail? Do you like it? Does it give you satisfaction? Is it boring?

I am at a crossroads right now. I work on computers and could continue to do so and earn a decent living. But, I am so sick of the damn things. I want to do something new. I could go back to college, but I have no idea what to go for. I could also try to look for another job, but the economy is bad around my area, so that isn't really an option if I stay here. I am open to moving. Part of me wants to get a degree and a good job, but the other part of me doesn't want to go through the hassle again(I already went to college for two years).

Yet another part of me wants to get a "physical" job where I work outside and get to do stuff instead of sitting behind a desk.

Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: What do you do for a living(I need advice)? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3536473 - 12/23/04 05:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I draw disability from New York... its not a lot of money, but they give me 8 grand a semester for school...

its not satisfying...

i would suggest that if you want a job that pays well (over 50k a year US) get a delivery route.. I used to own a friehofers route. i was in a truck for half of the day driving around to different rural areas delivering bread. you are outside for part of the day/ inside for part/ working hard for a part/ and relaxing for a part.
the only setback was i went to work at 330am... and if you want a day off you have to pay someone to work for you (except Wed and Sun). Also you have to pay taxes quarterly, and when you sell your route you get jacked with corporate gains and shit like that... but when you do it you will bring home at least 200 dollars every day you work, and thats after expenses.

also you need to be good with records... ie saving receipts and invoices.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleMeatSpace
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What do you do for a living(I need advice)? [Re: Jim]
    #3536487 - 12/23/04 05:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm a waitress
I love my job when everybody else does too.
I work with some realy nice people
I make cash every day $50 on a very slow night.
I'll be a waitress forever!! :thumbup:

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #3536489 - 12/23/04 05:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

well i'm mostly a student - i haven't been in school for the past 6 months or so, but am going back in 2 weeks (mainly anthropology, philosophy and economics). but for the past 6 months, and for the upcoming future, i'm also working in IT. Mainly Apache/MySql/Mod-Perl development - a friend of mine has his own company, and when i moved back to Michigan 6 months ago, he asked me if i wanted a job. So it took me a few months of training, and i guess i'm still learning new things all the time, but i think its a great job. For the time being, that is. I don't think that i want to work in IT for a "living" (except maybe tying that in with work with an NGO or using it to connect parecon-style communities around the world) - but while im in school, i really dig it. i can work out of my house, set my own hours, work while reallllly stoned :smile: anyway, i guess i'm not going to university to gain any employable skills, per se - except that perhaps i can use my university credentials to get grants for traveling and writing!

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #3536501 - 12/23/04 06:01 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

What is your job?

Freeloading atm.

Quote:

What does it entail?

Reading books, making music & poetry, thinking, pot smoking, snow shoveling, internet surfing... etc.

Quote:

Do you like it?

Yeah it's pretty cool, for now.

Quote:

Does it give you satisfaction?

Mostly.

Quote:

Is it boring?

Occasionally.

Quote:

another part of me wants to get a "physical" job where I work outside and get to do stuff instead of sitting behind a desk.
Any suggestions?

I know what you mean. I had a computer job for close to a year, and towards the end I absolutely hated it, and yearned for something that required some physical work. I imagine it's something to do with being a male... We are not built to sit behind a computer 24/7. So anyways, after I got fired from this job I tried a few stock jobs, which were OK for a hot minute, but then they got tedious and I felt like a slave to the man so I said fuck it, took my $$$ and ran.
So here I am.
I would suggest you do some freeloading for a bit, travel around if you can, see some stuff. It's very good for ya! :thumbup:

Peace

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Offlinezenmunk
King of thepickle people.
 User Gallery

Re: What do you do for a living(I need advice)? [Re: Adamist]
    #3536576 - 12/23/04 06:21 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

DEA agent, i put people into prison.

--------------------
Like a meteor, like darkness, as a flickering lamp, An illusion, like hoar-frost or a bubble, Like clouds, a flash of lightning, or a dream: So is all conditioned existence to be seen. -buddha

InvisibleMeatSpace
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What do you do for a living(I need advice)? [Re: zenmunk]
    #3536614 - 12/23/04 06:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

work at a park, or an animal home, or the local vet.
You could work for a landscaper or UPS.
there's lots of things that are entry level and pay well, that aren't behind a desk

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #3536645 - 12/23/04 06:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I operate heavy equipment.  I sometimes think to myself "I should've stayed in college and got a degree."  Then I realize that I wouldn't be doing anything that I would enjoy more then what I'm doing now.  I like my job.  Like any job it has its good days and bad days but I can't think of a whole lot of other things I would rather do all day.  I know for a fact I would never make it in an office environment!  I gotta be outdoors when I work or I'd go nuts.  And operating big construction machinery is kinda like just playing in the dirt all day anyway! :grin:

And after almost 2 decades in the industry I've got myself to the point where I am well repected for my skill and I make good money at it.  Can't complain about that.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineShroom_Herder
Get In...
 User Gallery

Loc: Where The Magic Trees Gro...
Re: What do you do for a living(I need advice)? [Re: MeatSpace]
    #3536649 - 12/23/04 06:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Programmer.

Do I like it?

It's Ok.

Is It Boring?

Sometimes...

I really want to start my own company though. Creating games is my dream...

--------------------
We Can't Stop Here, This Is Bat Country

Invisiblenewusername222
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3536674 - 12/23/04 06:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What is your job? I'm a lawyer

What does it entail? My typical case involves defending any one of a number of corporations that are alleged to have caused someone to contract cancer from exposure to chemicals they make or use. Usually the exposures were back in the 50s, 60s, or 70s, and the people are just now getting the cancer (or other illness).

Do you like it? Sometimes. I don't like when I have to take the deposition of a widow who is blaming me for the death of her husband. When I'm sitting across the table from those people I feel very sorry for their loss. They look at me as the corporation I am representing. It's a difficult place to be in.

Does it give you satisfaction? Sometimes. Most of my cases I settle out of court. It is good to see people receive just compensation. I consider my job more of damage control- keeping a few greedy lawyers from bankrupting companies where a lot of good people work.

Is it boring? Sometimes, like digging through boxes of documents that are 30 years old.

I think education is important, but I think it is more important to find a job you like, and something that you can make a good living at for you and your family, and doing the best you can at it.

My suggestion: Take some shrooms and make a goal for the trip to determine what you are going to do with your future.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#3536756 - 12/23/04 07:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

im an official wexican

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3537174 - 12/23/04 09:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

dont get into construction. unless you actually, honestly, enjoy it.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: What do you do for a living(I need advice)? [Re: kadakuda]
    #3537217 - 12/23/04 09:47 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I work with 0 to 5 years old kids in daycares.  I like it, most of the time.  I studied psychology in university so I get a decent pay... 14.50$ an hour, canadian.

It involves many things, as you can imagine, including a 2 hour nap every day... i'm not supposed to sleep but hey... it's quite hard :wink:

I enjoy it much more now than when I started.  Experience helps a lot when you're dealing with 10 kids...

.fs.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3537228 - 12/23/04 09:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm a self-employed antique dealer. (Furniture mostly)

It involves going to auctions up and down the east coast and buying pieces that I think I can make money on. I try to buy furniture in need of refinishing because I can buy it cheap and with a little work, make 1000% return or more on my money when I sell it at another auction.

I suppose I like it. I LOVE being my own boss and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

I'm quite satisfied with my station in life. It wouldn't hurt to make a little more money but it's weird in this business. Some months are better than others. Working in my own woodshop in my backyard is very satisfying but I don't really draw any satisfaction from the actual work of refinishing the furniture at all. It's just what I do for a living.

It's rarely ever boring. I travel quite often and when it does get boring I just take a day off and go do whatever I want then come back the next day feeling refreshed.

It's not too physically challenging but it does keep me moving and I can go at my own pace. If I get tired I just walk 50ft across the lawn, go inside, fix a sandwich and sit in my recliner watching T.V. Hehe, it's great not having to work for the man. If at all possible, I highly suggest that you find something you can do without having to have an "employer".

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: What do you do for a living(I need advice)? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3537298 - 12/23/04 10:05 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

sounds liek you got a nice job for yourself mr juice! happiness is #1, and if you can make good money at it....well then go all out!

although trades fucking suck you can make good money with no education. a labourers starting wage is $12/hour and uped to 13 after 3 months. any idiot can be a labourer. when i was doing drywalling (sorta apprenticing) i was getting 15. roofing i was getting paid per job but i worked one out and i was getting roughly 45 an hour.

to be a carpentar you need experience and tools but tis 20-25 an hour. hard work and you kill your body, but you can be a high school drop out and make career money.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3537340 - 12/23/04 10:17 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It's not always the same in this business. You have good months and bad months. Christmas time usually sucks in this biz as far as sales go. From early spring through late Fall you can usually clear $10k per/mo. fairly easy. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Then in the winter time it normally slows down. I've made as little as $500 in one month before.

It all depends on the economy in your area and the overall popularity of antiques. If the locals start drying up you just travel a bit and sell at an auction that is bringing in good money. It's not rocket science and any idiot can do it. Maybe not successfully, but anyone could make a living of it.

I personally know 5 men in this business that have made millionaires of themselves either as dealers or auctioneers. I also know a few that live in an old run down trailers and have been doing this all thier lives. I'm 26 years old and I hope to be running and auction hall of my own by 30 and being well on my way to my first million by at least 45. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out. Wish me luck!

--------------------

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: What do you do for a living(I need advice)? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3537356 - 12/23/04 10:19 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

you don't need luck 13eetleJuice... just keep on trucking...

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
    #3537365 - 12/23/04 10:20 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What is your job?
I work computer tech support for a high school.

What does it entail?
I spend most of my days sitting around waiting for something to break, and when it does, it is usually user error, so I get to teach them a little something, and lower my job security all at once. When it isn't  user error, I either try to fix the problem, which is usually finding something on the network that the network guys moved without letting anyone know. Other duties include setting up TVs for people, and supervising at lunch.

Do you like it?
I did at first. Now, it's wearing on me. I've run out of anything to do, and spend most of my time talking to students, and  flirting with girls (I'm a little over a year out of high school, so it isn't too bad :wink:)
I'd say it's the best job I've ever had, but that isn't saying a lot, and it is definately not something I want to keep doing for the rest of my life. It's real cushy too, so I need to get out of there before I become accustomed to it.

Does it give you satisfaction?
Nope. I feel like I'm wasting my time, and not working to my fullest potential.

Is it boring?
Yeah, it's pretty boring. The more I goof off while I'm not working, the less boring it is, but I know I'm going to get in trouble for that sooner or later.

I'm really considering going back to school next year, but, like you, I have NO idea what for. I guess at this point I don't care. School is going to help me figure that out. I always have the IT stuff to fall back on if it doesn't work out, I suppose. It's just time to atleast TRY something new. If I end up coming back to the same thing, then so be it.

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
    #3537785 - 12/24/04 12:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm a fast food restaurant manager. As cheesy as this may sound..I absolutely love my job. I work with great people of all ages. I see new people everyday as well as familiar faces. I'm well liked by 95% of my employees, by all the upper management, and by my customers.
I keep the positive vibe going through the store during our most hectic hours and always keep my team members motivated. I love the position I have and am getting promoted within the next few months.
I get to travel and get paid for it. I get free Taco Bell anytime I want... :wink:
Most people think that fast food jobs are for lower class people or whatever, but I'vw always enjoyed my job and honestly wouldn't want to do anything else....except work on cars.
If I could chose another job, I'd be a mechanic...instead that's my hobby.

I love the responsibilty and the running around and keeping myself busy, keeps me on my toes and out of trouble. I work long hours and my schedule is always different. I don't like routine much so this works out great.

What kind of advice are you looking for?

Do whatever makes you happy and whatever gets the bills paid.
Extra money is always nice to. Just be happy and don't settle for an okay job. Make work count!

Hope things work out for you.

~Desiree~

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

OfflineEuphoricDisaster
CultivationProdigy

Loc: Where the good times roll...
Re: What do you do for a living(I need advice)? [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #3537895 - 12/24/04 01:27 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Im a General Contractor. I do all sorts of things, from landscaping, to masonry, to construction, electric, roofing, plumbing, basically, if it has to do with a house, i do it.

I love my job, if someone wants me to do something, and i dont feel like doing it, i dont have to. I can work inside, outside, whatever. Best business I ever came accrossed. The labor can get hard in construction and masonry, but the money is so fucking woth it.

To sum it all up, I dont see why anyone would pass up my job. Like I said, if i dont want to do it, i dont. Also, there is always work for you, i mean, houses always need work.

--------------------

-------------------------------------------------
Prying open My "Third Eye"--Bill Hicks, Also Tool

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Tacos

Community >> The Pub