Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIfIWereARichMan
journeyman
Newbie questions on first harvest
    #2582979 - 04/20/04 01:15 PM (20 years, 1 day ago)

1) My first batch of cakes I shocked/dunked way before they were ready, so they sat in the growth chamber for about 3 weeks before they started doing anything. Now, only a couple of the cakes have produced shrooms and the rest seem to have stalled. Im thinking it could be because most of the water went to the 3 weeks of "mycelium-izing" rather than producing shrooms. So now I have two options - shock and dunk again, or just chop them up and make a casing. Any thoughts?

2) My shrooms cant seem to tell up from down, even with giving them light daily. Maybe its because theyre sitting on aluminum foil on white perlite? Anyway, one of the shrooms grew down into the perlite, and half of the cap is black and (Im assuming) moldy. Its still got a while to grow before the cap opens and it reaches full size - is there any sort of damage control I can do like maybe lop off the moldy side of the cap and let it keep growing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNoG
journeyman

Re: Newbie questions on first harvest [Re: IfIWereARichMan]
    #2583236 - 04/20/04 02:06 PM (20 years, 1 day ago)

if you have cakes in fruiting chamber but arent ready...

A) temps will be wrong you need the higher temp for the mycelium to grown good this could be whats causing the sloooow down in activity

B)just pull the funky one and cut the bad part off and dry it. if the black bits dead its not going to grow anyway your just giving the mushroom time to rott which aint good.

Later NoG

Edited by NoG (04/20/04 02:08 PM)

OfflineMUSHIEMANDANGO
mushiemandan

Loc: on the computer off the s...
    #2583826 - 04/20/04 04:51 PM (20 years, 23 hours ago)

B) mushrooms don't grow towards the light the light is what tells the mycelium it has reached the boundary of the medium and to start fruting so it can deposit spores some where else its the direction of gravity they go by if you have let them colonize with the lid of the jar facing up when you knock them out of the jar and put them in you're growth chamber the wide end of the cake should be facing up other wise they will think down is up if you get my drift the colonizing prosses pumps out co2 witch is heaver than air so if you stand the jar on its lid the co2 can escape easyer and you don't have to start balancing top heavy cakes and worrying about yore shrooms rotting in the water

--------------------
mushroom melted room made of hate and lots of doom plants with teeth a ground that breaths lookin at a fish in breefs underground in the sky the only way is natures high .by the mushiemandan

Offlinethisspock
Masters Student

Loc: haha,..riiiight.
Re: Newbie questions on first harvest [Re: MUSHIEMANDANGO]
    #2584125 - 04/20/04 06:39 PM (20 years, 22 hours ago)

"f you have let them colonize with the lid of the jar facing up when you knock them out of the jar and put them in you're growth chamber the wide end of the cake should be facing up other wise they will think down is up "

I don't think this matters too much in the respect of light since the vegetative growth is relatively unafffected by light. Cap formation is the only process in basidiocarps which is generally affected by light.

The fact that the lid allows no light penetration means that area will not normally produce pinning or fruting bodies invitro. Thus the clear parts of the jars allow for light penetration and pining, and the cake should be placed to facilitate this. So I always assumed it should be placed wiht the 'lid end' down.

However, i'm not certain if fugi orient themselves with gravity, I actually looked it up and couldn't find it in my texts. I had always assumed that vertical and horizontal growth was attributed to the avalability of nutrients and gasses. Do you know this for sure?

I don't mean to sound like an ass, I'm just interested.

Offlinethisspock
Masters Student

Loc: haha,..riiiight.
    #2584146 - 04/20/04 06:48 PM (20 years, 21 hours ago)

I find that if I just birth the cakes, and not case its because they have some contam like cobweb mold, that I don't want on my casings. Casing is simple enough and tends to save you a lot of hassle, at least in my opinion.

Cakes I birth and put in a terranium often grow into the pearlite, and I have found a lot of times its because the humidity is too low, and its way more humid at the bottom of the terranium. You can tell this if all the shrooms are growing off the bottom of your cake.

I can't tell you what would be the best avenue to do with the cakes, but personally I would let them sit as they were. And I would definetly pick that abort off and dry it before it got too slimy and you couldn't use it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck