Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleAJ420
Tribvnica Potestas
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sonora
Amaryllis
    #2552017 - 04/12/04 07:12 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Some friends sent me some amaryllis bulbs that grew into spectacular plants with some of the most amazing flowers I've ever seen. Now that they have flowered, all thats left is a bunch of long leaves comming out of the bulb, some of the older ones are starting to fall off. My question is, what do I need to do to keep them alive untill they may flower again? I haven't much experience with bulbs.
I decided to add a few pics.

These are of the flowers.

This is what it looks like now.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Amaryllis [Re: AJ420]
    #2552494 - 04/12/04 11:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Bulbs wither and die after flowering. Some species are annual in the sense that they have to be replanted each season. These species are dug up after they wither since they are not hardy and are damaged by cold soil temperatures, however Amaryllis is not one of them.

Amaryllis can be induced to flower a few times after it has intially flowered. Cut the flower stem off two inches from the bulb and allow that end to heal. The bulb is spent of energy and requires fertilizer to build a storage of food again. Give your bulb liquid fertilizer about once a month after flowering and give it plenty of sun (if you move it outdoors a shady location is just as good as full sun indoors).

When the threat of frost starts plaguing outdoor plants now is the time to withold water if the leaves haven't already yellowed on their own. If the leaves yellow on their own before the threat of frost then stop watering and place it in a cool dry place. Allow for all foliage to die down completely in cool dry place. Dig up the bulb and allow it to dry, clean any dirt off the bulb and brush with fungicide if you have it then place it in a cool dry place again for storage. If you're growing indoors you can put it in a dorman period for 2 months and replant it again even though it's not spring.

When growing outside Amaryllis should be planted in a neutral soil to sandy loam. Amaryllis bulbs should be planted 6 - 7 inches deep, general rule you could space them about as deep as you plant them. General feeding rules apply when planted outside dig it up before threat of frost and follow previous storing instructions.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden