Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
paxil(SSRI) + mushrooms = conflict?
    #566140 - 02/28/02 05:45 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I am wondering if anyone has any information about wether SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like PAXIL will interfere with the effects of mushrooms. I'm not sure if these are like MAOIs or if there is realy much of a difference (i'm biochemicaly illiterate for the most part). any info or or links to info would be greatly appreciated.
PEACE, concretefeet.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: paxil(SSRI) + mushrooms = conflict? [Re: canid]
    #566149 - 02/28/02 05:58 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

sorry i didn't do a search for related threads before posting but any more info just for my own sense of wellbeing would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinejosh666
enthusiast

Loc: U.S.A.
    #566163 - 02/28/02 06:25 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I'm on zoloft which is also an SSRI....they are completely different then MAOI's.  And in my experience......they DO interfere w/a mushroom trip.  You would need to eat more.  what I do, is plan the day i'm gonna trip and not take my meds for that day and the day b4.  Not sure if that's too good of an idea, but it works for me :smile:  I guess it depends on the severity of your depression. 

OfflineGrimace
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: paxil(SSRI) + mushrooms = conflict? [Re: josh666]
    #566178 - 02/28/02 06:45 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Josh is in fact right about the amount you will need to eat but I think the difference is very small. I recently tripped while I was taking paxil. The trip was completely normal and I had an incredible time. As far as the effect paxil had on the dosage, it was very little. I took around 2 grams of P.C. and the effects would compare to a 1.75 gram trip (while not on paxil). So, there was little to no difference.

Anyway, I was taking paxil for some minor social anxiety problems (i.e. speaking in class, giving speaches, ect.) and for a minor depression. When I say minor, I know what I'm talking about because I was clinically diagnosed with major depression about 4 years ago. My point is that I didn't shroom when I was really depressed, although I did have some trouble in my life (girlfriend problems, and in my book, there's nothing worse). But, I did have a good time, probably due to the low dosage.

All and all, you'll be completely fine shrooming while taking paxil. If you can, skip the dose the day of the trip just to be safe. It doesn't really matter though if you've been taking paxil for a while (like over a month) because your body has adjusted to the new seritonin level. You'll be fine though. If you start to feel a bit strange (apart from a normal mushroom trip), don't panic...It's the FUCKING shrooms and you imagination running wild. Remember, set and setting and number one and when you shroom with the though of Paxil on you mind, you're gonna get feedback from that area. Just relax and remember, there's nothing chemically that is dangerous about mixing mushrooms and paxil.
Hope this helps some.

Grimace

--------------------
"Is there anyway of knowing........which direction we are going?!! Yes!"
Mr. Wonka

OfflineGrimace
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: paxil(SSRI) + mushrooms = conflict? [Re: Grimace]
    #566180 - 02/28/02 06:49 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Please excuse me for all the errors in my previous message. Alcohol does affect my perception!!!!!!!!!!HEH!!

Just read the message and add t's and what-not to the though's and whatever else you can find wrong. BAH!!!

I hate thinknig too much while I'm drunk!

Grimace

--------------------
"Is there anyway of knowing........which direction we are going?!! Yes!"
Mr. Wonka

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: paxil(SSRI) + mushrooms = conflict? [Re: Grimace]
    #566183 - 02/28/02 06:53 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

what dosage where you taking? i am taking the 20mg and i've only been taking it for a week. i don't suppose there should be a problem from what i've read since my original post but thank you both for you time and input.

--------------------

Invisiblelessismore
    #25337963 - 07/20/18 09:44 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome

BAD advice in this Thread, by all involved

SSRI+Mushrooms can kill if you unlucky, serotonin syndrome.
Especially if combined. See above link.

Psychedelics induce serotonin syndrome
SSRIs/SNRIs induce serotonin syndrome

And it can be lethal/fatal, it can fry your nervous system basically

Just wanted to warn, in this old thread that came up as *related* for me.
Never take tramadol + trip, can be deadly. Never take antidepressant + trip or roll, can be deadly.

Young people have died from this.

More proof: Psilocybin,LSD cause deadly serotonin syndrome if mixed with other drugs (especially antidepressants)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047867/

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: paxil(SSRI) + mushrooms = conflict? [Re: lessismore]
    #25339289 - 07/21/18 03:18 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lessismore said:

BAD advice in this Thread, by all involved

SSRI+Mushrooms can kill if you unlucky, serotonin syndrome.
Especially if combined. See above link.

Psychedelics induce serotonin syndrome
SSRIs/SNRIs induce serotonin syndrome

More proof: Psilocybin,LSD cause deadly serotonin syndrome if mixed with other drugs (especially antidepressants)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047867/

None of the classic psychedelics (mushrooms, LSD, DMT, mescaline) can induce serotonin toxicity.

The classic psychedelics do not cause a release/flood of serotonin into the synapse. They do not cause an increase of serotonin through out the CNS.

Serotonin toxicity is mostly a risk with drugs that cause a huge release of serotonin into the synapse and increase the amount of serotonin through out the CNS(mdma, mda, cocaine, meth, etc...)...And only with huge doses and/or if they're mixed with other drugs which inhibit the metabolism and/or re-uptake of serotonin (SSRI, MAOI, other serotonergic drugs, etc..). Or taking large amounts of serotonin pre-cursors like tryptophan or 5htp, by themselves and/or in combination with re-uptake inhibitors and/or enzyme inhibitors.

But eating massive doses of mushrooms or lsd or DMT or mescaline by themselves will not ever induce serotonin toxicity....and there's isn't a risk of serotonin toxicity from taking any of those psychedelics while on an SSRI

Generally speaking...if one is on an SSRI, psychedelics will be attenunated quite a bit. Some folks claim they can't trip at all, other say they can still trip they just have to take a lot more than usual and the trip isn't really as "rich" or full on as it usually is, others say they can trip almost like they normally can but things are just dulled down a bit.

(*Also just saw this thread is more than 16 years old lol)

-OM

--------------------

Edited by openmind (07/21/18 03:24 PM)

Invisiblelessismore
Re: paxil(SSRI) + mushrooms = conflict? [Re: openmind]
    #25339302 - 07/21/18 03:30 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Well then you saying that Doctors lie, that Medicine phd journal link lies!:

Table 1

Drug interactions implicated in serotonin syndrome

Psilocybin,LSD

And it also says serotonin syndrome=deadly potentially,and often, if not treated. Plus gives info about people HOSPITALIZED.

PLEASE READ LINK BEFORE COMMENTING.

You are basically claiming to know more than the doctors there. I don't rule it out. But I highly doubt it, since they treat dangerous accidents as journal says, by overdoses.

Invisiblelessismore
    #25339308 - 07/21/18 03:38 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

from wikipedia

Drugs that can induce serotonin syndrome
Antidepressants Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs),[4] TCAs,[4] SSRIs,[4] SNRIs,[4] nefazodone,[9] trazodone[9] and mirtazapine.[4]

Psychedelics (LSD)

Mushroom is also a psychedelic, and expected to be able to induce it.

I would be HIGHLY CAREFUL about any ssri,snri with psychedelics (lsd,magic mushrooms),or mda/mdma

mdma is also listed in there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome

PLEASE DO NOT COMBINE DRUGS PEOPLE. RESULT CAN BE FATAL. SEROTONIN SYNDROME

THAT WAS MY 2 CENTS.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#25339326 - 07/21/18 04:01 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

If that's what they say then they are wrong and we do know more than doctors. Classic psychedelics do NOT and NEVER HAVE caused serotonin syndrome. This is a perfectly safe combo that people do all the time, the only thing you'll experience certificate is a reduced effect due to the excess 5ht and downregulated receptors. There is NO DANGER, period.

Edit: MDMA is not a psychedelic, it's a serotonin release agent and is one of the best ways to get serotonin syndrome.

Edited by krypto2000 (07/21/18 04:02 PM)

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: paxil(SSRI) + mushrooms = conflict? [Re: krypto2000]
    #25339466 - 07/21/18 05:48 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lessismore said:

PLEASE READ LINK BEFORE COMMENTING.

You are basically claiming to know more than the doctors there. I don't rule it out. But I highly doubt it, since they treat dangerous accidents as journal says, by overdoses.

I read the link....I know what serotonin toxicity ("syndrome") is and what causes it...I understand the basics of how the classic psychedelics work and I know they don't cause serotonin toxicity.

The link gave one example of some kid experiencing serotonin toxicity because he was taking fluoxetine. Yea serotonin toxicity can be lethal :shrug: .

But it is not a risk or an issue with the classic psychedelics. If you understand what serotonin toxicity is, and the basics of how psychedelics work, you'll see why.

Good for you to raise concern and bringing awareness to it, but SS is not a particular issue with the classic psychedelics.

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
If that's what they say then they are wrong and we do know more than doctors. Classic psychedelics do NOT and NEVER HAVE caused serotonin syndrome. This is a perfectly safe combo that people do all the time, the only thing you'll experience certificate is a reduced effect due to the excess 5ht and downregulated receptors. There is NO DANGER, period.

Edit: MDMA is not a psychedelic, it's a serotonin release agent and is one of the best ways to get serotonin syndrome.

:whathesaid:

-OM

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: paxil(SSRI) + mushrooms = conflict? [Re: openmind]
    #25653473 - 12/02/18 10:55 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Damn, blast from the past. Well, it's been almost 17 years and you'll mostly be unsurprised to know nothing killed me. I really disliked paxil though and ceased it as soon as I was able.

--------------------

OfflineCapnCook
Stranger

Loc: 5th dimension
    #25653499 - 12/02/18 11:10 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

canid said:
Damn, blast from the past. Well, it's been almost 17 years and you'll mostly be unsurprised to know nothing killed me. I really disliked paxil though and ceased it as soon as I was able.

glad to hear.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag