Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH?
    #25035661 -

I've got over 5 gallons of potash from my wood stove and I'd like to make use of this as a component in a direct liquid fertilizer however I'm concerned about the PH issues it would cause and surprisingly cannot find a straight answer with a cursory search.

I know the general ins and outs of how to add it to the soil, using it in compost, pest deterrents, etc, there seems to be plenty of information on that, but I can't find anything on using it as a liquid fertilizer. Is this not practical?

At first my thought was that I could just balance it with something acidic, however every acidic garden amendment I'm discovering seems to break down slowly overtime, thus I cannot simply mix them together and be done with it, I'd actually have to compost them. I'm sure I could balance it with an acid, vinegar, HCl, or citric seem the most easy to obtain, however is there any reason I do not see this being done? Will that cause some sort of harm to my plants? Would it disqualify it as being organic? As far as that last point goes I could care less about titles, "organic" vs "non-organic" is often arbitrary, but more to the point would it damage the microbial ecosystem in my soil, cause salts to accumulate over time which cannot be utilized by the plants, or result in a salt of potassium that cannot be?

If anyone is curious I tend to use a lot of homemade plant and leave compost. In addition to that I amend my soil with azomite for additional minerals (potassium being one I know), and maybe the odd ingredient here and there such as crab shells or various gaunos. For a liquid fertilizer I mainly use fish emulsions, gauno, and epsom salt. I am not entirely sure I'm not missing some micronutrients with all of that, but the one thing I am lacking, I suspect, is potassium to support heavy fruiting/flowering so that is particularly why I'm eyeing all of this potash that I have collected.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: krypto2000]
    #25036172 -

Vinegar and citric acid must be considered organic, or?
I mean, it comes straight from the plant kingdom so...


--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: Mateo]
    #25036209 -

I would imagine so, but idk. Sulfates and chlorides exist naturally too, yet I don't believe they are considered organic generally. If you combine sulfur and potash they will form potassium sulfate over time for instance, which is considered organic, however if you combine potash with sulfuric acid it will form the exact same compound, potassium sulfate, yet it is now considered synthetic.

Of course the plant doesn't care either way, they're literally the same end result I would think. That's why I say I don't care whether it's technically organic or not, I just care about the end results which is does it harm my plant or soil/microbial life, and I don't know all of the ins and outs of that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: krypto2000]
    #25036703 -

Potash from wood ash is best applied to the surface of the soil. It is a slow release form of potassium.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: karode13]
    #25036776 -

Is there a fast acting form or source you would recommend that I could use as a liquid fertilizer?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: krypto2000]
    #25036831 -

Any liquid potassium fertiliser from a store should be fine, otherwise Sulphate of Potash will serve all your potassium needs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: karode13]
    #25036870 -

Bone meal


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: ferrel_human]
    #25036927 -

SulPoMag

As karode said.


--------------------
"Well it sounds trivial, but the key insight is . . . . . you don't know shit"
~Dennis McKenna

"There is more to human existence and to reality itself than science can ever give us access to."
~His Holiness, The 14th Dalai Lama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: El Torcho]
    #25037247 -

If you have a good microbial and fungal network in your soil, then unsulphured mollases can dupply potassium to your plants. Its generally just a food for the microbes, but again it has some K as well as Ca, Fe and Mg that can feed the plant to some degree. Good stuff all around.

I like to alternate between unsul. Mollases and Meta K from Earth Juice for my potassium needs/feeds


--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

A monkey w/out his jungle is just an inmate-- :heart:lipa

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: Lipa Kreepa]
    #25038033 -

Awesome, thanks guys. I have been meaning to pickup some more molasses, I used to use it but it's been awhile, so I will probably start with that first and supplement as needed from there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Using Potash as liquid fertilizer, how to balance PH? [Re: krypto2000]
    #25046020 -

If you put a little bit of the blue stuff, under a humidity dome, or it settles in a saucer, you eventually get a distinct, ammonia odor. The ingredients said it's pot ash and urea.

I know it's gross. This is not something that I would do, except in special circumstances. I have punctured the ground at the drip line of the crown of the plant, until I hit roots. I filled the hole with fluffy pot ash, then, carefully poured urine, until it the ash settled, then covered it with dirt. Nothing has splashed on the leaves or anywhere else. There was never any after odor, or signs of harm, whatsoever.

Except, very, very lush plants grew from smallish roots, which never had to work too hard. If you suddenly take plants like these out of ferti-gation, they will die.

(When I am asked for advice about failed plants, which people have brought home from a nursery, it is often times in a soil-less potting mix.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Age Old Organics Fertilizer. TheHateCamel 2,448 4 02/08/05 07:41 AM
by Aneglakya
* how much lime do i add to peat moss to balance ph? LSDilocybin 2,619 0 06/28/06 09:32 PM
by LSDilocybin
* Soil pH for Salvia. NeiL 2,038 1 08/21/01 12:55 PM
by Anno
* Fertilizer jellyfish 773 5 10/03/06 02:08 PM
by jellyfish
* (K) Potassium Deficiency? peruvian spark 984 3 11/20/06 09:01 PM
by Dexter_Morgan
* Forceful Insecticides & Fertilizers: Home-Made Recipes NESpores 1,150 8 10/28/05 04:43 PM
by pod3
* Is sceletium self-fertile? Openminded 1,217 6 07/27/04 11:14 AM
by Legoulash
* pH Herbus 485 4 05/03/06 09:41 AM
by Herbus

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
448 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 18 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.