Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

conflicting info about cool mist humidification.
    #2459698 - 03/22/04 10:57 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

in the FAQ, it says that cool mist humidifiers are to be left running 24/7, and that this will keep air exchange and humidity at optimal levels.

after searching, i've noticed that there have been a few posts where people have had problems maintaining high humidity with cool mists. the solution has been to either put the cool mist on a timer, and only run it occasionally, or supplement it with an ultrasonic humidifier or perlite.

from what i've read, the cool mist system appears to be more of an air-exchange system than a humidifier for some people. it provides automated air exchange, and even humidifies the air it brings in, but alone is not enough to provide adequate humidity. do they not have their cool mist set up properly?

is it possible to use a cool mist as the sole means of humidification? can one be run 24/7? if so, what key detail are some people screwing up on?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: conflicting info about cool mist humidification. [Re: ]
    #2459778 - 03/22/04 11:43 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Here's my two cents about your concerns. I recently purchased a cool mist for my new terrarium and if I let him run 24/7, I can't get a RH higher than 70% . The cool mist alone is not enough for me. It is an evaporative kind of cool mist. What they say in the faqs concerning cool mist that can hold some high RH are for non-evaporative cool mists. I have abolutely no idea what is a non-evaporative cool mist but I wasn't able to find one i guess.

Now, i'm using my cool mist only for air exchange with a timer. I'm able to raise my RH simply with a rubbermaid container with water and a heater. I put this on the lower shelf and the green house can easily hold 100% RH. In my case 100% is too much so I just have to tweak the heater and the air exchange so it stays between 85% and 95%.

That's what I was able to do recently..

.fs.

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #2459789 - 03/22/04 11:54 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

afoaf is currently having the prob...the humidity in the chamber is 85-95%, but its not moist....so the mushies are bruising atrying to grow and what not...

she has been misting the chamber a few times a day and has seen better growth in just 1 day....she said shes gonna get a heater in a jar of water at the bottom to make it more moist inside.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinephilnweird
highroller
Re: conflicting info about cool mist humidification. [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2459815 - 03/22/04 12:10 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Non evaporative cool mists are the ultrasonic type humidifier. They employ a diaphram which vibrates at a very high frequency creating a fine mist. Evaporative cool mist humidifiers employ a moistened wick. Air is passed through the wick by a fan and the water evaporates from the wick into the air. IMO the latter is not suitable for mycological purposes for two reasons: 1) They can't provide adequate humidity, and 2) the wick has a high probabilty for harboring competitor organisms. Ones best bet, IMO/IME is to use an ultrasonic or impeller type humidifier in conjunction with a separate air intake fan/filter assembly. Timing and settings on the unit will depend on many factors including size of chamber, fan rating, ambient temps. and humidity, humidifier output, etc.

Anonymous

#2459846 - 03/22/04 12:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

the FAQ page that i've been referring to is here:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7994

the web page that it was mostly lifted from is here:

http://www.peterdilley.com/

(click on "mushroom" on the menu at the right and then on the "fruiting chamber" tab).

between the FAQ and the webpage, it has this to say about cool mist tips:

"Cut a bare minimum of 1.5 feet of hose (preferably longer). It must be long enough to connect the humidifier to your terrarium and also allow the mist to have a lot of contact with the inner hose surfaces."

"Regardless of the brand, it should not have a wick inside! It should not have the word "evaporative" anywhere on the box. The inside should have a spinning disk surrounded by a circular splash comb."

"Hook up the terrarium to the hose. The hose needs to be long and curvy enough to "de-mist" the output"

"I would recommend placing an air exit hole and hose / PVC pipe at the opposite end of the terrarium and close to the bottom if not in the bottom itself. This will allow for any built up condensation and CO2 gasses to vent to the outside of the fruiting chamber."

and finally:

"When I first read about using a cool mist humidifier, I read about using a 1" diameter PVC tubing. That doesn't work well. Such a large tube allows free mist to reach the other end, which means you are back to not having the humidifier running constantly to avoid saturating the mycelium. That is the same problem one has with the ultrasonic humidifiers. Finally, if you used more than two such tubes, you would be running out of water very fast. The garden hose limits the output sufficiently so that given one tank water with one hose output, the tank should last several days without need for a refill (even in a dry room). Also, the relatively thin diameter of the garden hose and the turns run the mist against the inner hose walls before it reaches the output. A cool mist set up simply works GREAT!

To emphasize the point, I'm currently running such a humidifier with one output on some elm oyster mushrooms. These mushrooms will not grow using perlite or an aquarium bubbler since they require a lot of gas exchange. Yet using this set up, a single garden hose output provides plenty of gas exchange for two and a half square feet of cropping surface and keeps humidity levels above 90% RH even when operating in an air-conditioned room with air as dry as 25% RH!"

it does sound like it works pretty well when configured properly. maybe people are using tubing that is too wide or short? maybe the wrong type of cool mist? no vent?

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2460226 - 03/22/04 03:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, a non evap cool mist is the kind that has the plastic wheel spinning in it instead of some kind of wick. The vicks cool mist has that. No matter which you use it isn't gonna keep the humidity up where you need it. Small chambers can use perlite and use the cool mist on a timer to exchange the air. Larger systems can use the cool mist all the time and add a ultrasonic.

Check this out it should help.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Anonymous

Re: conflicting info about cool mist humidification. [Re: Magash]
    #2460243 - 03/22/04 03:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i'm thinking about running the hose from the cool mist into a plastic cup full of wet perlite in the terrarium. this way it'll humidify the incoming air even more, hopefully to the point that i can run it 24/7.

i'd line my terrariums with perlite, but they're already lined with straw. maybe an ultrasonic humidifier would help, but i'm poor and they're expensive.... so right now i'm just gonna try to make this cool mist thing work.

i really do think that running the air through a column of moist perlite as it exits the tube will help a lot. we'll see.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2460245 - 03/22/04 03:11 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Let us know, other could use the idea when in a money pinch.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Anonymous

Re: conflicting info about cool mist humidification. [Re: Magash]
    #2460249 - 03/22/04 03:12 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

the idea is of course inspired by the PMP.  :thumbup:

Anonymous

#2461648 - 03/22/04 10:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

does anyone use a cool-mist exclusively?

how well does it work?

Offlinewicish1
Mr. Myco Moron

Loc: Shithole, USA
    #2461800 - 03/22/04 11:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
does anyone use a cool-mist exclusively?

how well does it work?

I just set up a fruiter using a VICKs brand cool mist but havn't birthed my casings yet. The cool mist keeps my fruiting chamber at 90%-92% RH. It seems like it will work very well but I'm not sure if the constant air flow might dry the casings if left to run 24/7.I'm think I'm going to try 1hr on, 2 hrs off at first to see how it works. The humidity from the casings might alter things also. I should be birthing some casings around the mid to end of next week. I'll be sure to post some results.

--------------------
How many times do I have to tell you, I was running through the woods and tripped on some mushrooms!!! Well, at least I'm not lying.:crazy:

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: conflicting info about cool mist humidification. [Re: wicish1]
    #2461896 - 03/22/04 11:31 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

afoaf uses a cool mist with a 3 tier green house. the rh% is always 85-95%. All the air is refreshed every 45minutes for 15minutes. The humidity is right, but its just not moist enough. this friend also mists the inside of the green house a couple times a day and it helps alot. Before she misted a few times a day the mushies were bruising and real dry on the outside...not enough moisture in the air.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinespeedeegee
Stranger
Re: conflicting info about cool mist humidification. [Re: dobinky]
    #2534553 - 04/07/04 12:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok so if I get all that I've learned on this is that you need a "non-evaporative Cool mist humidifier". Ok so what brand exactly what I'm looking for? What is the price range? I need this to keep optimum humidity of 90% for about 3sq of surface area feet 9 cu feet in total.

Will i need to put a piece of plexi-glass in there at an angle to catch the water droplets? I am using the actual container instead of trays because of the depth i am able to utilize with holes drilled in the bottom to run off excess drainage.

Is there a brand of humidifier out there that A. filters air, and b is a non-evarative type?

A humidifier made sepcialized for mushroom growing would not be out of considreation.

This is the last piese to my puzzle any suggestions?

spee-dee-gee
apprentice

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation