Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: 700 lbs of Cow Shit
    #24466 - 07/17/00 10:49 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry Ru,

it doesn't work that way, especially in CT.

If you lived in Florida or a hot state or even in your own state, you could feed cattle sporeprints in March and maybe in the fall you might get a few mushrooms but only a few. And then again they would not return the next year.

There are over 178 mushrooms throughtout the world which have psilocine and psilocybine in them and only about 25 or so of them grow from cow shit.

And the cow shit used to grow cubensis at home is usually pasturized , meaning it has been heated and treated to be rid of all contamination and spores of everything so that when you innoculate it with spawn there is no other bacteria present other than the spawn you are innoculating it with.

Mjshroomer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFried Brains
Re: 700 lbs of Cow Shit [Re: mjshroomer]
    #24468 - 07/18/00 02:52 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

MJShroomer, I beg to differ as I have grown plenty and big shrooms in unpastuerised manure outside in summer, by mixing colonized birdseed substrate with it and leaving it covered for a week, with a bit of plastic sheeting and there after letting nature take its course. I got plenty pics if you dont believe me. Ru, go for it. If you never try you will never know for sure. I dunno where C.T. is though, so may be its too cold there, even in summer. Where I live the temps are 25c to 30 c in summer.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #24469 - 07/18/00 07:55 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

And just where do you Live Fried Brains?

mj

InvisibleBaldCuban
scruffy-looking
 User Gallery

Loc: here, there, everywhere
    #24470 - 07/18/00 09:38 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Probably not Conneticut. Seems like one of them foriegners to me. That's o.k. Fried Brains, we like you anyway.

------------------
Baldy

Anonymous

#24471 - 07/19/00 10:39 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

I must put in my two cents in here...

If the cow dung is old - GO FOR IT. I live in the Northeast also and do it all the time outdoors (Shaggy manes...). I wish I had open access to a pasture. The best source of substrate is the field.

If it is a bit fresh give it a twenty minute hot water path then innoculate with cakes/grain in a shady spot, cover and keep moist (The Northeast is getting so much rain this summer that mommy nature is keeping the watering end of the deal fairly well).

Happy harvest!

Anonymous

#24472 - 07/19/00 10:50 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

isn't cow shit ani contam anyway

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #24473 - 07/19/00 08:26 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

A professional cultivator here in the PNW has fed spores to cattle on his parents farm and in August he gets a small crop of P. cubensis. However, he fed about forty sporeprints to sicx cows to do so and never getrs more than a few dozen mushrooms and then the next year nothing grows again. so every year he feeds the cattle massive prints.

In a way this is stupid since the prints are worth moree than the amount of mushrooms which he had growing. And it always rains in Seattle most of the time.

I also find it hard to believe that someone puts manure out and gets the shrooms growing.

Even the Thai farmers get theirs from taking shit where the shrooms are already and moving it to a shaded area and watering them with more manure and they only get a few.

This person above must have innoculated his manure because they want decomposed manure which is four to six weeks old for shrooms to fruit. The manure would have to have spores already in it for it to get the growth and as mentioned above that would be after the fresh manure has decomposed.

I am talking thirty years experience watching them grow in most manners possible.

To the person in CT>

Go ahead and see what happens. But i really think you will not get anything in the long run, especially where you are.

Mjshroomer.

OfflineRu
    #24474 - 07/19/00 09:15 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Im not talking about feeding cattle a spore print. What age shit is ideal for growing mushrooms ???

Anonymous

#24475 - 07/19/00 09:21 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

No offense mjshroomer but sometimes your "thirty years of expierience..." seems to do nothing but hinder you.

Ru, old harden horse dung is the best, especially if it comes from a pasture where the horses graze.

Fairly fresh horse dung works also, but it is best to give it a hot water bath.

Forget using even remotley fresh cow dung - its gots to be old. Stick with horses. You will be amazed! Do a search, plenty of threads detailing the specifics.

Happy harvest

OfflineFried Brains
    #24476 - 07/20/00 03:16 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

MjShroomer. I am from Africa. There are no cows where I live.The lions ate them all, but they left thier shit lying around. In nature millions of spores are made only some are eaten by the cow, and then get the pleasure of being mushrooms. What we are doing by adding colonised substrate into the dung is boosting nature and giving it kick start, the spores dont have to go thru the stage of struggling to survive in hot cow shit, we grow them in nice funky birdseed, molly coddle them in a warm protected jar, and when the mycelium has built up a bit of reserve stregth we dump it cow manure and it spreads like shit ! about 2 weeks or so later, Voila ! We got some
great big tasty shrooms. Try it some time, you may pleasantly suprise yourself. I have every respect for your knowledge of mushrooms and regard you as a legend in your own time. I am only telling what I have experienced 1st hand and it appears that QuiGon has had similar experiences. Peace.

OfflineRu
    #24477 - 07/21/00 05:31 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

So i just chuck a cake into some cowshit and expect results ??? I dont have to watter it or make a tent over it or anything?

Anonymous

#24478 - 07/21/00 11:51 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

For best results, RU, there is a bit more to it than just throwing the whole cake in there. Instead, soak the dung then break it up into layers (think sandwhich) with the dung on bottom broken up cake spawn on top then more dung, spawn, etc. Get it? Do a search there is plenty of info on it. Go to drool donkey, I had a thread going there that was very detailed.

Good luck.

OfflineEvery1ShouldBAble2Post
Carpal Tunnel
    #24479 - 07/23/00 01:36 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

damn you better wash those babies.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order