Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Pink dots on WBS
    #2446497 - 03/18/04 10:41 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I recently did a batch of WBS, having recently purchased a pressure cooker.. The grain all developed tiny baby pink dots.. the size of a pin prick... very very tiny all over the grain.. I know where I went wrong, (PC wasn't maintaining proper pressure) but.. I can't find any information on this contam.. I've never heard of anyone getting it, and am wondering if someone knows what it might be?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Pink dots on WBS [Re: Jared]
    #2446840 - 03/18/04 01:10 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It's hard to tell without a pic you know ....

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pink dots on WBS [Re: MAIA]
    #2448518 - 03/18/04 08:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Imagine tiny dots all over the birdseed.. no bigger around than the tip of a pin.. like 0.1mm wide and pale pink. I'm not sure how to be more descriptive..

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2450939 - 03/19/04 10:04 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Pink can be bacterial or mold.  If the PC wasn't up to pressure, that opens the door for any number of things to have survived--bacterial or mold. 
So as far as ID, it's tough because 'pinpoint-pink', while uncommon as a contaminant, can be a variety of things.  My shower gets some 'pinpoint-pink' every once in awhile :wink:

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
    #2453652 - 03/20/04 07:59 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

CLICK HERE.

Quote:

Lipstick Mold ? Sporendonema purpurescens (Geotrichum candidium)

This fungus colonizes compost or casing. As spores mature, the color of the mold changes from white to pink, to cherry red, and finally to dull orange. It is slow growing. Spores spread in air, during watering, and on pickers. The lipstick mold utilizes certain fats in the compost. It is an uncommon problem. Control is centered around sanitation.

Pink Mold; Red Bread Mold ? Neurospora

Commonly to occasionally seen on agar and grain. Neurospora is fast growing, sometimes taking only 24 four hours to totally colonize a media filled petri dish. It is ubiquitous in nature, occurring on dung, in soils and on decaying plant matter. Since this fungus grows through cotton stoppers or filter discs, a single contaminated jar, though sealed, can spread spores to adjacent spawn jars within the laboratory. This condition is more likely if the filter discs or cotton plugs are the least bit damp; or if the external humidity is high. Furthermore, Neurospora spores germinate more readily at elevated temperatures. The pink mold seen in mushroom culture is most frequently Neurospora sitophila, a pernicious contaminant that is difficult to eliminate. All infected cultures should be removed as soon as possible from the laboratory and destroyed. A thorough cleaning of the laboratory is absolutely necessary. If contamination persists, remove all spawn and start anew.

Any of those look/sound like the one?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum