Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTonyMontana
Montana RealtyCompany

Two pink dots
    #3292205 - 10/29/04 02:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Two small pink dots about 1/8" or 4mm in diameter appeared on rotini a few days after inoculation. They were both close to each other on the same piece of rotini and didn't get any larger over time. Mycellium took over soon after and it was marked with whiteout on the outside of the jar where the dots were because the piece they were on was right up against the glass.
Jars were not PCed, they were boiled for 45 minutes. Pink sounds like bad news to me. Should The Dude take the precaution of throwing out the part of the cake where the dots were or just case the whole thing?

--------------------
"GULF COAST TEXAS SYRINGE! EVERYTHING IS BIG IN TEXAS! Dear Keeper, I send you these pictures and spores so you may pass on this wonderful strain to the world! My cat accidentally ate a spore print and washed it down with 'Keepers Brew' when I wasn't looking. He took a 'DUMP' in your Kit A and before I new what had happened I found these monsters! WHAT THE HELL IS IN THAT BREW!?!? $35.00 + S/H " - SporeTradingPost's 'Keeper': douchebag of the century! [a not so cleverly fabricated testimonial for his website that is only effective in making even his pretend customers look like morons]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Two pink dots [Re: TonyMontana]
    #3293035 - 10/29/04 10:38 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It sounds like bacteria; regardless, there could be many more pink dots than the ones you can actually see. Imagine the centers of the jar, inside of the rotini pieces themselves. I wouldn't recommend chancing it, even though the odds are slim there would be a problem. 'Pink bacteria' include a buttload of harmless environmentals and a few opportunistic pathogens; the toxin/allergy risk can't be ruled out. That said, it's your decision, your comfort level.

Regardless, you should consider the one-time 45 minute boil not enough in your situation. You might consider adding a second boiling step [8-10 hours later or so] if PC just isn't an option. . .

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum