Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVorpal
old hand

Loc: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: common mistakes for first time growers?
    #24390 - 07/15/00 06:17 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

If you are using the PF tek and 7-10 cakes, then you should, assuming no contamination be able to get 2 ounces. Which is enough for a couple dozen doses(depending on how much you take of course). Keep in mind that the time from innoculation to your first harvest will probably be at least a month.

The PF tek is not hard, just follow it closely and you should be ok. The time when you need to worry about contamination is right at the beginning. Make sure you sterilize your jars properly. Make sure you're careful not to contaminate your needle during innoculation.

------------------
see me here:
www.geocities.com/vorpal_rd/justapic.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: common mistakes for first time growers? [Re: Vorpal]
    #24392 - 07/15/00 06:42 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

i order the syringes (2) from PF as well. they came with the needle in a protective sleeve and in water? or some liquid.

should i assume that they are sterile?

in between inculation of each cake, should i sterilize the needle again?

[This message has been edited by iris blurred (edited July 15, 2000).]

Anonymous

#24393 - 07/15/00 06:51 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

You can assume the syringe is sterile, but every time before you squirt some of the magical liquid out into the jars, give it a wipe down with a tissue soaked in rubbing alcohol. It does the trick for me.

Anonymous

#24394 - 07/15/00 06:55 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

great!
thank you.

another question:

after the sterization process, and the jars have cooled, how long do i have until i abs. have to inoc. them? is there a time limit? the sooner the better?

OfflineVorpal
old hand

#24395 - 07/15/00 07:10 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Leaving your jars after sterilization for a while is not a bad idea. You can see if contamination is going to develop and save your spores. I'm not sure how long you can wait before it will affect your results. Personally, I wouldn't wait more than a week.

------------------
see me here:

Offlinesurrealthoughts
    #24396 - 07/16/00 07:36 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

how can you tell if its going to be contaminated if you havent innoc. yet?

OfflineVorpal
old hand

#24397 - 07/17/00 04:37 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

The syringe isn't the only way that jars can get contaminated.

If the jars weren't sterilized sufficiently, then contaminants could already be in the jars. Waiting a couple of days is an easy way of checking to see if sterilization was complete.

------------------
see me here:

Anonymous

#24398 - 07/17/00 02:24 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

since i don.t have a pressure cooker, and will be using the pot method, how will i know when the jars are sterlized?

i know to leave the jars in the slow boiling water for about an hour or so approximently. what if i leave them in there longer? how does the pot method work anyways? does the boiling water and steam heat up the jars to the point where it kills all contamination? what is that temperature?

i am going to be using 8 jars i think, and divide 2 syringes (20cc) between them. this, of course, will allow for faster colonization. and a lesser risk of contamination? even if the jars were not fully sterilzed?

OfflineVorpal
old hand

#24399 - 07/17/00 02:38 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

An hour in a pot with boiling water that's about half way up the sides of the jars will do it. 2 syringes between 8 jars is way more than enough. If the jars were not fully sterilized then it won't matter how much spore solution you use, contamination will still develop. You sound like you know what's going on though. good luck

------------------
see me here:

Anonymous

#24400 - 07/17/00 02:39 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Hey man i think you will be fine. I have always used pf and never had contaminants. One jar of my last batch colonized in 9 days using one cc per jar. you would be using like 2.5 it could kinda be a waste. you need a vegatable steamer for the pot method. you dont want the jars acctually in the water. you want them to be slightly above it so steam heats and kills contaminants. to long and you could get carmalized cakes. not good and hour is good than leave them in the pot still covered till its cool to touch. over nite for me. then inoc. make sure to put foil over the lids of the jars other wise it could add water to your substrate. peace and goo dluck

Anonymous

#24401 - 07/17/00 03:33 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

i was under the assumption that if more was innoculated into the jars, then you would get better, longer fruiting and flushes?

would this be a waste, to use 2cc for each jar?

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

#24402 - 07/17/00 03:40 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

You can put the jars in the water and it works fine. You don't have to have a vegetable steamer. The only advantage to using more innoculate would be that it would colonize a little faster(to a certain extent). You would not get more flushes. I would use 1 cc per jar and do more jars. ;-)

------------------
..... LEGALIZE .....

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

Anonymous

#24403 - 07/17/00 03:47 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

*nods* mmmmk. i will save my other syringe for another time or in case i really mess up this first attempt. :0)

the problem with having numerous amounts of jars, is where to keep them and the terranium, as my current living situations won.t allow me to just leave them sitting out. i could use the poor mans terranium, but i would have to have 8 2L bottles, and it can become a hassle having to take care of them a few times a day. and if i have a container that will fit all eight cakes, i still don.t know where i will store it. perhaps in a closet? a shed outside? (though it gets incredibly hot in there (upper 90's it feels like), as no ventilation/curculation excpet for a single window.

*thinks*
something will pop into mind, im sure.

:-)

OfflineVorpal
old hand

#24404 - 07/17/00 07:36 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

while your jars are colonizing, they are easy to hide. You can put them into the box that they came in and hide it in a closet. The terrarium is a little harder to hide becuase you want access to it daily and its much larger. I'm living at home for the summer, so I have had to stealth grow too. I fit a large tupperware container under my bed and put some junk in front of it. Unless you go digging around under my bed, you wouldn't find it.

------------------
see me here:

Anonymous

#24405 - 07/17/00 08:02 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

i would try to put the terranium under by bed.. but.. i only have about 6 3/4 inches from the based of the bed frame to the floor.

would that be enough space for the mushrooms to grow? i mean, the terr. container could only be, at most, like 6 and a half inches tall to be able to slide in and out of from under the bed.

would that be enough space?

Anonymous

#24406 - 07/17/00 09:23 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

That sounds a bit tight. If you figure about two inches for perlite, two inches for the cake, that leaves you with roughly 2 inches. If you have a drip sheild, you will basically have no room for the actually mushrooms to grow. I recall you saying you might use the poorman's terrarium, and those definatley are larger than 6 inches tall...You might have to find a closet or a shelf somewhere that you could diguise. I don't know it sounds pretty tricky. My parents know I'm growing mushrooms, just not psycedelic ones. They think I'm just interested in mushrooms, I must admit most parents aren't this stupid, so it probably wouldn't work for anyone else.

Sorry for the rambling,
I hope I helped...

melter8or

OfflineVorpal
old hand

#24407 - 07/17/00 09:24 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

no, that wouldnt be enough space. You'll just have to find another place.

------------------
see me here:

Anonymous

#24408 - 07/17/00 11:31 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

well, i do have a trunk that i could keep the terranium in, but it would be in complete darkness all day, until i open the trunk.s lid and let light in.

will that be enough light?

[This message has been edited by iris blurred (edited July 18, 2000).]

Anonymous

#24409 - 07/17/00 11:54 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

It seems like the trunk would work, except they do need like 1/2 hour (or so I've read in the various teks) of light per day. Could you open the thing for this long each day?

But on the under-the-bed thing, I think you could pull it off. First, if you're using the pearlite humidification, could you somehow avoid having to stack the cakes on the pearlite? Like maybe put them in cut-in-half coke cans and then put the pearlite all around the coke cans so they're halfway burried in it? That'll save some space. Another idea is to cut the cakes in half, which not only saves you space but can increase your yield. Just go to Kmart or something and get a storage bin (6 bux?) that is as tall as possible while still being able to fit.

Just some ideas.

OfflineMyceliumcake
addicted to weed
Loc: Flint, Michigan
    #24410 - 07/18/00 12:40 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Alright now me.
First i would definatly keep in mind what pf says about testing different water content. And with some tape maybe right on the jar how much water you put in. After the first time you do it you will be able to tell the "field capacity" bye eye. Also, dont of course pack or tamp it down cause this will make colonazation time much longer. As far as all that inoculate, well damn. I only used one cc per when i first did it, that was before I discovered liquid inoculam. After that i still only used about 1/2 cc per hole. The poor mans terrium to me would be a waste of time and space. Tupperware with perlite is all you need. Maybe some vasaline on the lid to keep from dripping. And as an alternative to wipeing with alchahol i would flame steralize with butane in between EVERY HOLE. Makes the needle all black but thats ok. And also the two ounces of mushrooms someone said earliar was probably wet. You only get about an eigth per jar of dry weight. Pf is the best method for begginers as for as im concerned. Wouldnt worry about contams at all if you follow directions. As far as light goes you should try to have them on a 12/12 cycle, try to time it for the light when your home. Really any light will do, even your bedroom light from the celieng will help. But you will have to have some kind of light to iniate fruiting. Best bet is to get some kind of florecent, like a small shop light. Like 8 bucks at home depot. Hope this helps, if anybody disagrees with anything I have said please post.

------------------
Wonder if you can trip off foot fungus.
ALSO KNOWN IN CHAT AS Psilo

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract