Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineknitsu69
Stranger
Loc: Canada, Ontario area
first time grower needs some advice
    #2775198 - 06/08/04 05:23 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

hi all
im a new grower living in the North America area.. up north
anyways i bought these "Psilocybe Cubensis Spore Syringe"
10cc for 50$ canadian. lookin on the net i relized i got ripped off

i'll be doing my growing in a basement is that a good idea? its furnished and wont be in the heating/air conditioning area....

and ill be using cheap gear for the first time, stuff from like walmart, home depot, etc....

im only going to try 5 jars for the first experiment with .5cc in each jar spread evenly in 4 holes per jar so about .1 cc EACH HOLE

before i use the needle i will use a lighter to disinfect it

i figured for the Substrate Preparation i would mix all chemicals together in one jar mix evenlly and spread it upon 5 unused jars. and post pics to see if you notice any contamination i may think be happening.

i also read that once you put your in the jar you should Fill to the top with clean dry vermiculite..... is this true and if so how much should i full it with dry vermiculite?

i read that "The disadvantage is that every time the syringe needle goes into the cake, there is a slight chance for contamination. "
(i will post pics of when i star this (5-7 days) so i can get the best advice as possible)

so should i just make one hole for each of them and clean the needle each time before i inject??? or do all 4 and not worry about it.

this is my first time growing any help or advice you have for me please help me out on the way
and hopefully one day i can help others out like you helped me

thanks

ohh and 1 more.

say i sterilize my subtrate mix at 8 PM at night ill be cooking them at 15psi for 45-60 minutes,

let it over sit at night in the pressure cooker.. and in the morning say around 8 or 9 in the morning i will be injecting the spores into them.. is that a good idea or to long of a time for them to be sitting there cool down??

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineknitsu69
Stranger
Re: first time grower needs some advice [Re: knitsu69]
    #2775261 - 06/08/04 05:52 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

i forgot to meantion i will be using the Simple Cubensis Growing Technique found on this website for my frist grow

LAB REPORT #1 Substrate Preparation

my mixture will be like this
2 1/2 cups of Vermiculite
1 1/4 cups of Brown Rice grounded to a fine (powder/flour)unless it comes in a fine grounded powder
1 1/4 cups of water..

i will mix all together in a bowl for a while till properly mixed then i will apply evenly into 5 1/2 pint jars making sure it's open and airy and not all like squished together soo ill use a fork and just drop it in softly

should i just fill the rest of the top space with Vermiculite??
i will be covering the top with tinfoil and the lid will have 4 holes in each.North South East West you get what i mean.

im reporting this so if anything happens wrong you guys can tell me where i went wrong.. on Friday i will be starting this porcess so any wrong.... just like a LAB report you do in science class

should i let them SIT before i put them in the pressure cooker?
and once finish the 45-60 min pressure cooker
i shall be letting them sit for about 12 hours..... is that long enough???

my lab #2 will be on inoculation and my steps on how i am going to do it

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

#2775264 - 06/08/04 05:52 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

The basement will be find provided you can maintain proper colonizing/fruiting temperatures. I wouldn't recommend innoculating down there though because it'd be nearly impossible to get it clean enough.

.1 cc per hole will work but close to .25 per hole would decrease colonization time. But you're wise to use just a little during your initial experiment.

The dry vermiculite will help keep contams out because anything that falls through the holes will not gain a foothold because the dry verm is non-nutritive.

Ideally you wipe the needle with alcohol and flame sterilize it. There's varying opinions on whether to do this after each injection or just once per jar. I've always done just once per jar.

Letting your stuff cool overnight should be fine.

Finally, if you want to have an experimental control against contams...I would suggest not innoculating one of your jars. That way if all the other ones contam but the un-innoculated jar is still ok, you know the contamination was during innoculation.

Good luck!

--Aeolus

OfflineLife_of_a_Cell
a biotic unit
Male User Gallery

#2775277 - 06/08/04 05:56 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

What's up knitsu, I'm a newb on my frist grow too, but I think I can answer your questions.

Growing in the basement is fine, the only thing that might be iffy is getting the right temps for fruiting.  What kind of temperature range do you get down there? 

As to cheap gear, search for PMP and you'll find a tight growing chamber that Magash brought to the masses.  And incubator can be made cheaply, look for tub in tub, cover that with a blanket and your incubation temps will not be a problem.

The top layer of vermiculite is a definite plus, it keeps contams out of your baby jars.  Just load jars with substrate up to the thread, wipe it clean with a damp paper towel and make sure you get it all because any substrate left up there will attract floating microbes, and then fill to the top with dry verm.

Innoculation, use four holes about the same distance from the center, inject toward the glass.  Flame the needle until it glows, you can use an alcohol swab/wipe too if you like.  I'd reccomend using 1cc per jar, divided among the four holes.  Don't worry about running out, you can use any remaining to grow liquid mycelium, or just get a spore print if your grow goes well. 

Cover the jars with aluminum foil or some kind of breathable tape before you throw them in the PC, you already have the right amount of water in your substrate and you don't want more dripping in through the holes.  15psi for 60 minutes, don't start timing until the pressure is up to 15 though.  10-11 hours to cool should be good, maybe cover the air intake (sorry, don't know the anatomy of pressure cookers very well) with a filter, but you primary concern there would be not injecting the spores while the substrate is still hot enough to kill them. 

So, best of luck to you, and don't worry too much about contamination, just read up on sterility and don't improvise :wink:  Pressure cookers and PF jars are a great match for each other so you should do fine.

Offlineknitsu69
Stranger
Re: first time grower needs some advice [Re: Life_of_a_Cell]
    #2775302 - 06/08/04 06:09 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

thanks alot for the advice
im going to pick up a pressure cooker tomorrow from walmart or homedepot and compare the prices... any special picks???

and im definatly going to buy a nice box of latex gloves and such so i dont have to wash my hands durring this process

my basement is usually warm around 70-84 from morning to evening..
i think a heat pad may be nice for here just incase...

this basement also has a window that brings in light that is not direct sunlight which i think i will use when i have to show them the light

definatly goin to spend all day today reading up on stuff pressure cookers and sanitary

thanks for the advice and soon ill have pics of all my process...
wish you luck if your starting to grow asell :-)

Offlineknitsu69
Stranger
    #2775312 - 06/08/04 06:13 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

defiantly a smart idea.. i wont inoculate them downstairs in the basement but somehwere upstairs in the kithchen are since it's very tidy and cleaner there.

i will also not innoculate 1 jar just to see if contams do come into play... for future reference..

thats a smart idea..

i'll post my next msg on Thursday or Friday with pictures of my set up of everything...
well my girlfriend will be takin the pictures just cuz i dont want to be handling stuff and takin pictures at the same time cuz i woulddefinatly somehow screw something up...

thanks for both your advice you two rock

OfflineLife_of_a_Cell
a biotic unit
Male User Gallery

#2775316 - 06/08/04 06:15 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Well, you could go for boiling the jars instead of PCing them, but there's a much higher risk for contamination. I boiled mine, and there's stuff growing in 10 of 12.... just not sure if it's myc or contam. Oh well. If you're strapped for cash don't worry about a PC, but it will save many jars in the long run, I hope to be getting one before too long for growing edibles.

OfflineMrBoom
BoomTripper

#2775641 - 06/08/04 08:27 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Just a recommendation on Pressure Cookers. The Presto 8 qt. Pressure Cooker is around $50 and it works superb, i picked one up at TrueValue hardware.

--------------------
you will not hear a more clearer voice of reason than mine.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation