Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinefRUct0se
Stranger
P. Cubensis temperatures
    #2356510 - 02/19/04 09:22 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

A FOAF of mine is curious about growing mushrooms. He wants to learn all that he can, and wants to learn how to make a good setup for if he were to grow. Thus far, the shroomery has been very helpful to him, in learning all he must know in order to produce fruiting cakes.

He however has not been able to find any solid sources of information regarding necessary temperatures of different strains of P. Cubensis. While he understands that the optimal temperature for colonization is about 85 degrees F, and the optimal temperature for fruiting is 10 to 15 degrees lower, he is in search of answers to the following questions:

1) Do all strains of P. Cubensis require the same temperatures, or do some require higher temps then others to colonize (He is interested particularly in the Puerto Rican Strain)

2) While he understands that lower temperatures will hinder colonization, is about 70 degrees F enough for colonization?

3) He does not know too much about humidity, and wonders how important it is to have higher humidity levels

4) He is interested in the basic PF tek, is there anything that is not covered in their that he should maby keep in mind?

He would like to thank you for your help in advance, as well as all of the help that the shroomery community has already provided.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineatomic1
enthusiast

Re: P. Cubensis temperatures [Re: fRUct0se]
    #2356886 - 02/19/04 10:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

1) Some strains may prefer a slightly warmer or cooler temp. than others but as far as cubes the general rule of temp's as u stated will work fine. If u find a strain that prefers one or the other then do it but don't stress about it.
2) It would probably work but will be much slower than the optimal temp's. You gotta remember that w/a lower temp. and slower colonization you're giving contaminants more time to get a hold on the substrate. So the quicker you colonize the better off you are. So you need to get that heater crankin.
3) Shrooms are roughly 90% water.. If you have a dry environment you're going to suck the moisture out of your cakes or casings. Its a must. Do a search for the Poor mans pod. Its pretty easy and cheap.
4) I have no experience with the PF tek, sorry, I only know grains

OfflineKnobleJunga
journeyman
Re: P. Cubensis temperatures [Re: fRUct0se]
    #2357380 - 02/20/04 02:15 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

During incubation the humidity should be above 95% for PF tek. During, colonisations, however, optimal humidity is 50-70%, or so I've read, but I wouldn't stress about this point...just make sure it's not bone dry and not really wet.

--------------------
This is a great community. Thanks for all your help, you are accruing merit!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: P. Cubensis temperatures [Re: KnobleJunga]
    #2357916 - 02/20/04 04:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

>During incubation the humidity should be above 95% for PF tek.

You mean fructification.

Offlineshangrila
 User Gallery

Re: P. Cubensis temperatures [Re: Anno]
    #2358587 - 02/20/04 10:53 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

is it necessary to have a drop in temp ? from what i understand, you need 85 degree f ( what the hell is that in celsius ? , canada here! ) and the humidity thing i got much got that down........my problem is that i see everyone talk about fruiting/ pinning, are those different terms for the same meaning ?
tell me if this is right...i'm gonna make pf cakes ( that i know how to make properly ) i place them in a warm dark place until fully colonized ( when the bottom is fully white aswell )
- then i have a large rubbermaidwith a plexi glass placed at an angle to prevent the humidity droplets from falling on my cakes..

temp 85 f
fan 3 - 4 times a day
humidify with spray when it seems dry until they grow

those are pretty much the ONLY things that keep goin through my mind and i figured if i get them all answered at once, then everythings good!!!!!

thanks, and sorry!

p.s. ive been reading every fuckin link possible! lol , but i rather have a pro tell me directly.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: P. Cubensis temperatures [Re: shangrila]
    #2358663 - 02/20/04 11:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Do self , or FOAF a favor and make the wise investment of buying a book , the book I am talking about is The Mushroom Cultivator , excellent reading , very informative and will give you all the basics and then some , covers many species of mush . The forum is an awesome place to learn , but there are a lot of misconceptions , and many varying techniques being used , and it is easy to asssume every one is a "pro" . It is best to learn some tried and true basics , then mix in what you learn here , come up with methods that work best for you and your abilities .
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlineshangrila
 User Gallery

Re: P. Cubensis temperatures [Re: tripndicular]
    #2358720 - 02/20/04 11:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well, thanks, that i guess was my problem, trying to learn everyones tek, when infact everyone uses slightly different ones. shroooooooms!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation