Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
Two Computer ?'s
    #2345484 - 02/17/04 11:48 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have a 6 month old notebook, made by HugeBee, from internetishop.com.  My first question is a bit ambiguous, but I'll do the best I can.  Sometimes the audio cuts out on my computer.  This always happens when I am watching an .mpeg, .avi, .wma, etc. on a cd or a DVD.  If the video is short, sometimes the audio is fine.  But every couple of minutes, the sound will suddenly mute, and the video will keep playing on uninterrupted.  Then after ~15 seconds of no sound, the video will freeze for a second, and the sound will rejoin the video.  This happens on all my media players in the same manner (RealOne, Windows Media, PowerDVD, InterActual).  It also happens occasionally with strictly audio (MP3, .wma, .wav) from my hard disk.  The cd drive is a combo CD-RW/DVD.  When the sound cuts out, it does so for the whole system (no 'critical stop' beeps, no clicks in IE).  A few times the sound would not come back on, and I had to restart.  I have a feeling this has to do with heat, I think my sound card is very near my cd drive, and if I close the video, and take the cd out for a minute, the video will play normally for a longer time before the audio cuts out again.  Here are some specs: Audio: SiS7012 with integrated audio controller ALC201, DirectSound 3D accelerator, SoundBlaster Pro compatible, AC97 V2.2 compatible.  I am running Win 2000  :thumbdown: and this happened without me changing anything on the computer.  I know a little about computers, so I looked around on it, but couldn't find anything obviously wrong.

Well, the second question has to do with Folding at Home.  I have been running the windows client (not screensaver) for a while, 24hrs a day.  The first few days I was running it, I noticed that my processor (with dual cooling fans) got pretty hot, and the whole notebook case would heat up after a while.  So I bought something very similar to this.  It does a good job at keeping the case cool; the processor still gets hot, but I assume that is normal with 100% load.  Plus, my system is supposed to slow down the clock speed automatically if the processor gets too hot.  I have a P4 2.66GHz with 533MHz FSB and 333MHz DDR interface, 512 DDR SDRAM, PC2700 compatible.  The F at H used to complete its work packets rather quickly, a 400 unit packet would take less than a day.  I am aware that sometimes a small packet can take much longer than normal; but for the past 2-3 weeks, every packet is taking about 9 times longer to complete.  I ran scandisk, then defrag.  I repeated that a week later (hardly fragmented), no improvement.  I regularly run Antivirus checks with updated definitions, so it's not a virus taking up processor bandwith.  I have a feeling this is isolated to F at H only, I tried encoding part of a DVD to avi, which I used to do all the time, and it performed the encoding at the ususal rate.  F at H is using ~98% CPU when nothing CPU intensive is running, so it's not a problem with the priority.  I am running version 4.0 of F at H.

Any help with either of these is appreciated  :smile:.  Thank you for reading such a long, boring post too!  :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Two Computer ?'s [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #2345624 - 02/17/04 12:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

your 6 month old notebook: I have no idea what is going on. If it was just a problem with playing from a CD, it might just be the drive lagging and not reading fast enough. Have you tried to download the newest drivers?

Your newer notebook: http://forum.folding-community.org/
You could try posting your question there. Maybe the work unit your currently working on is more complex.

~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Two Computer ?'s [Re: daussaulit]
    #2345724 - 02/17/04 12:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

There is only one notebook. The drivers are up to date, and I don't think it's lag; I can pause playback for any amount of time, and it does nothing to solve it. The drive writes at 24x, I don't remember the read speed, but I'm sure it's adequate. The Folding at Home has gone through many packets, all at the same exceptionally slow pace for the past three weeks. This has been very consistent. I have been running F at H for at least five months and this is the first occurance of its kind. Sometimes F at H would run slower, but not this slow, due to excessive hard disk fragmentation. Running defrag always brought it back up to speed.

*I'm working on the FAH problem on their forums, but if anyone has ideas on it, feel free to post. I think I'm going to try a fresh install of FAH.

Edited by AuroricDistortions (02/17/04 01:31 PM)

~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Two Computer ?'s [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #2345932 - 02/17/04 01:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I am going to systematically disable extra features of the soundcard and combo drive to see if I can get it working correctly. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I had Digital Audio enabled, but I am pretty sure I enabled it after this problem appeared.

*I think I have the FAH problem figured out, but the audio is still messed up.

Edited by AuroricDistortions (02/19/04 10:47 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder