Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedrewcifer
go by bike...
newbie, looking for debunked, or confirmed hunting myths
    #2340503 - 02/16/04 09:40 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hi, i am seeking information. i live in an area that is mainly cow pastures, tons of them. Dairy, to beef. all types of cows. a 10 minute bike ride in any direction could put me in the back of many pastures.

i dont know any hunters in my area or if hunting can be any good, my states is known for the wild caps in the coastal area (im in the peidmont) and i have known people to hunt out that way.

spring is abound and im wishing to try my luck with this and i have a few questions.

A: is it true that farmers/govt people can spray, or feed cows to prevent them from growing?, this is a rumor i have heard

B: what types of farms generally have better luck? beef, or dairy cows?

C: i have also ben told that if a field did not have a (grain)silo than it wasnt worth scouting

D: im sure that i am forgetting somthing i wanted to ask but cant remember as of right now

thanks...

--------------------
"give me a scene where the music is free, and the beer is not the life of the party"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: newbie, looking for debunked, or confirmed hunting myths [Re: drewcifer]
    #2340652 - 02/16/04 10:46 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

A: is it true that farmers/govt people can spray, or feed cows to prevent them from growing?, this is a rumor i have heard

Yes, it is technically possible to spray with fungicides, but farmers don't really appear to do this on a significant scale, and the government surely doesn't do so at all.

Quote:

B: what types of farms generally have better luck? beef, or dairy cows?

I don't think this makes much of a difference, but what you're looking for is fields that aren't too crowded with cattle. The ground shouldn't be too much disturbed for mushrooms to be able to grow. Something tells me you'd have better luck on dairy farms, but then again, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Quote:

C: i have also ben told that if a field did not have a (grain)silo than it wasnt worth scouting

Sounds like total bullshit to me, but perhaps someone around here has an explanation for this. I can't think of one, that's for sure.

Quote:

D: im sure that i am forgetting somthing i wanted to ask but cant remember as of right now

Ah, that's critical. This could form a life-threatening problem indeed :wink:

Offlinedrewcifer
go by bike...
Re: newbie, looking for debunked, or confirmed hunting myths [Re: koraks]
    #2340729 - 02/16/04 11:06 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

thank you for your reply, i think the silo deal is just to ensure that the cattle is grain fed. upon reading other's experiances on this board with my state, that its very hit or miss is there any possibility on introducing to a non-fertile feild a strain? or would there be any point?
~thanks~

--------------------
"give me a scene where the music is free, and the beer is not the life of the party"

Invisiblekoraks
    #2341783 - 02/16/04 02:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well, introducing a strain certainly can be done, but success rates are ominously low, so don't expect too much. If you're going to screw around with spores and mycelium, you might as well just grow your own shrooms. Much better chance of success than introducing them in the wild.

OfflineBluMonkee
keeper of thelittle people

Loc: Lookin' for an Incident
    #2342027 - 02/16/04 03:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

stab in the dark here.......N. Carolina????

--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

OfflineBLuEFroG
Old MFer
Male

Loc: Eastern Coast
    #2342441 - 02/16/04 05:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I can see where someone could say that, especially if they are thinking about so called "grain loving" mushrooms...

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: newbie, looking for debunked, or confirmed hunting myths [Re: BLuEFroG]
    #2342482 - 02/16/04 05:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You can case them with straw too, ya know. And cows who don't have grain eat straw.

Diet really doesn't matter. As long as the cows pop, it's possible that cubensis could grow there (provided it's in the right region/climate).

Offlinedrewcifer
go by bike...
Re: newbie, looking for debunked, or confirmed hunting myths [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2343769 - 02/16/04 10:34 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yep, NC.

i have had succesfull hunts in coastal SC, only been 2 times though with veterans

--------------------

Invisiblejtseaweed
Stranger

Loc: in the middle of everywhe...
    #2344265 - 02/17/04 12:28 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You want grass fed cows because the spores fly through the air in the air and land on grass blades and the cows eat them. Cows dont have acidic stomachs so the spores dont die and the cow shits and so on and so forth. You know?

--------------------

buisness is kickin yo butt

Invisiblekoraks
Re: newbie, looking for debunked, or confirmed hunting myths [Re: jtseaweed]
    #2344513 - 02/17/04 03:53 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

And cows who don't have grain eat straw.

Dude, where I come from, cows eat hay, not straw. Straw is only used to put on the floors of smaller stables, even for cows, it's all but digestible.

Quote:

You want grass fed cows because the spores fly through the air in the air and land on grass blades and the cows eat them. Cows dont have acidic stomachs so the spores dont die and the cow shits and so on and so forth. You know?

I've heard this theory many times before, but actually, we don't know if this mechanism works. Spores are perfectly capable of germinating without having passed through the digestive system of a cow. This doesn't mean the mechanism you described doesn't work, it's just not the only (probably not even the most common) way (cubensis) mushrooms spread.

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

Re: newbie, looking for debunked, or confirmed hunting myths [Re: jtseaweed]
    #2344667 - 02/17/04 06:38 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

A lot of seeds in nature are carried by animals who've eaten the fruit. That's kind of why the seed of a plant is in the fruit, because mother nature knows the fruit will be eaten by an animal, and the animal will shit the seed out elsewhere. That's also why the spores of the mushroom are on the edible fruit, I suspect!

--------------------
Don't give me that load of bunk~!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2346040 - 02/17/04 02:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

GENERALLY SPORES FALL AND SETTLE ON BLADES OF GRASS SURROUNDING THE MANURE HEAPS.

CATTLE THEN EAT THIS GRASS.

i HAVE POSTED IMAGES OF THIS BEFORE HERE.

USE THE SEARCH ENGINES.

AND THAT IS ONLY ONE METHOD OPF SPORE DISPERSAL.

CATTLE ALSO EEAT THE MUSHROOMS WHEN FORAGING THE ALFALFA.

MJ

SHIT I HATE THAT CAPITAL LETTER BUTTON

hERE IS A PICTURE OF TWO LEAVES WHICH i PHOTOGRAPHED UNDER A COPE OPR CUBE SHROOM WITH SPORES ON THEM. THIS IS NOT THE IMAGE I WAS LOOKING FOR BUT IT WILL SUFFICE.

MJ

Invisiblekoraks
Re: newbie, looking for debunked, or confirmed hunting myths [Re: teen]
    #2346552 - 02/17/04 04:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

That's also why the spores of the mushroom are on the edible fruit, I suspect!

You don't think it's simply because the mycelium of a mushroom resides beneath the surface, so spores would be very unlikely to spread if they were on the mycelium?
Really, I think the whole spore-spread-by-animals idea is very speculative and I suspect it's even unlogical in evolutionary terms.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2347377 - 02/17/04 07:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The dispersal of spores can also include the shrooms in the cow or buffalos stomach, or form the manure falling on grass.

At my site in the cultivation section I show a 21 day fruiting of Copelandia tropicalis, the only one of two collections of that I species I found in Hawaii in 12 years. That was fresh f dropped manure, the night before I took the first photograph and I came back every third day after taking f the first image for a 21 day period. That showed that the spores were int he manure in the cows stomach.

Also here is a picture o0r two of turned over cop w pies of Copelandia cyanescens in Hawaii and you can see the shrooms grwoing from the little patches of mycelia attached tot he manure underb0ottom from the grass I turned it over from.

and

mj

LEts not forget that no one can really know how the spores work because they are , in a way, like speerm. Billions come out looking for a mate and only one or two make it in the long run.

The majority of cubeies and Copes in a given pasture can vary as does their potecncy. However, sprinkling spores does not work so well in a natural environment.

For example, Paul Stamets in his Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World book talks about those in Olympian who walked along the groumd and ;lawns of the capital building where tons of P. stuntzii's grew for many years.

However, I as well as anyone who lives int he PNW and picks Blue Ringers, knows that when you crawl on your hands and knees for several hours picking pounds of them and then go on anouther lawn on your hands and knees, No shrooms ever come there after you have crawled there. Sop the dispersal is a buig mystery, except for second guessing.

I have seen cattle with magic shrooms dangling from their mouths. Yes they consume thema along with the grasses they chew.

They shit and shrooms grow, But not all are magic which grow in the manure in fields.

I know many of you have gone from field to field int he south and do not find anything and then y9ouy hit a field. There may eve be connecting fields and youi look in them and nothing, yet one can have hundreds of shrooms. And then for three years nothing.;

Here in the PNW, the woodchip cold weather shrooms yusually last foer 3 years and disappear when the nutrients are gone form the soil, although there are buillions upon buillions of spores there.

Pollock once said too many gasses from over spores will produce nothing eventually.

mj

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2351551 - 02/18/04 05:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

all these arguments for the purpose of genetic traits seem rather pointless. the mechanism of evolution does not work that way. organisms develope traits at random, not because they have a concious mind which is trying to think of better ways to be [some oppinions may differ on this and i will respect the spritual beliefs of others]. the trait develops further if it is successful.

it is not a matter of the mushroom dropping spores on grass bcause the cows are going to eat it or into the air so that it will land on manure, it is a matter of the mushroom dropping spores everywhere it can because that is all it is designed to do. the spores may then settle on grass, be eaten by grazing herbavores and ten germinate oin the dung, or drift on the breeze and become deposited on the dung where it can grow but not because that is thier design. this is a human speculation of a circumstance where the spores are more likely to germinate than if they had landed on a rock, or in the water, or anywhere else they also land but do not survive.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

#2353032 - 02/19/04 01:04 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

You don't think it's simply because the mycelium of a mushroom resides beneath the surface, so spores would be very unlikely to spread if they were on the mycelium?

See that's why the mushroom grows in the first place.

--------------------
Don't give me that load of bunk~!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale