Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealucard
alucard
I'm a newbie in CO...still have a few Q's.
    #1605614 - 06/03/03 07:14 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've recently become interested in the idea of shroom picking and cultivation, but have done neither. I've researched it, but there's only so much you can learn without actually trying it for yourself (in my case at least, I'm a 'hands-on' learner).

Anyway, I live in Colorado Springs, CO (anyone else familiar with picking in this area). For the past month, there's been extremely warm days, and a moderate amount of precipitation, so I am assuming that now would be a good time to start looking for the shrooms.

I'm looking for psychadelic shrooms, and could really care less about the rest of them. Me and a friend are going to go searching the numerous fields of manure, as we've seen plenty of mushrooms before (that was before we really gave a shit though, never bothered to ID them). For my first few trips of searching for shrooms, we're primarily just going to take pictures and pick a few for identification purposes, and leave it at that until we become more comortable with what the hell we're doing. Basically my question is this: does anyone else have any experience in this area of CO? Do the weather conditions sound prime?

Any answers/suggestions are appreciated.
-alucard

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealucard
alucard
Re: I'm a newbie in CO...still have a few Q's. [Re: alucard]
    #1605623 - 06/03/03 07:16 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

whoops...shouldn't have asked about the weather conditions...against the rules (sorry!)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1605642 - 06/03/03 07:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think you'll have much luck in finding hallucinogenic mushrooms in Colorado. You could probably find some Panaeolus subbalteatus...other than that I am unsure.

Dude, you are really missing out though...you're in the area where you can find some of the best edibles in the world.

You should really consider looking for other mushrooms besides just hallucinogenics. :frown:

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1605723 - 06/03/03 07:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

sorry to say that i dont know much about colorado picking except that it has a lot of western mushrooms and great boletes in the spring.

i have heard that many times that magic mushroms dont grow in colorado but i dont believe it. anyways, according to psilocybin mushrooms of the world:

Conocybe cyanopus has been reported in grassy areas and fields in the summer or fall. it is very similar to C. smithii but grows in a different habitat. it is psychoactive BUT pinpoint id is mandatory because it can be confused with other VERY poisonous species. be careful

Supposedly, Psilocybe angustispora has been found on sheep, horse, elk, and marmot dung in Colorado. it is not confirmed whether it is active or not. it has been poorly studied and is similar to ps. semilanceata in size and somewhat in shape. since there is very little on it here is a description:

CAP: .2-.6 cm  broad. Acutely conic to conic-campanulate. Margin decorated at first with whitish fibrilose remnants of the veil. Dark reddish brown when moist, fading to pale pinkish tan in drying. Surface smooth and viscid from a thick gelatinous separable pellicle. Flesh very thin and pliant (flexible).
GILLS: attachment subdecurrent, distant to subdistant, broad. Becoming dark purple-brown in age with the edges whitish fringed.
STEM: 10-20 (rarely up to 40) mm long by .5-2 mm thick. equal, flexuous. pallid pinkish tan or nearly concolorous with the cap. surface covered with pallid fibrils and the lower portions often with minute fibrillose scales. partial veil thin, cortinate. base usually adorned with tufts of mycelium.
SPORES: dark purplish-brown in deposit
DISTRUBUTION: uncommon

and..

possiblly Psilocybe magnivelaris. NOT ACTIVE however. found mostly in sand soils, alluvial plains, and/or in soils fich in woody debris of willow and alder, from may to october.

your best bet: Conocybe cyanopus and maybe some specie of gymnopilus (?)

for non-actives: Amanitas, boletacae, and fungi galore grow in colorado forest, fields and everywhere. i do not have any particular info but i know there are mushroom clubs and at least one guide specifically tuned to Colorado. CHeCK THIS OUT:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565791924/qid%3D1054683921/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-0678915-9604663

later :wink: 

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I'm a newbie in CO...still have a few Q's. [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1605733 - 06/03/03 07:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i think it would be EXTREMELY lucky to find Pan. subbalteatus...who knows?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1606362 - 06/03/03 11:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I live in the Denver area. Colorado is not a good place for hunting actives.

I can confirm that the following active species have been found here:

Psilocybe caerulescens
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Gymnopilus spectabilis
Pluteus salicinus
Conocybe cyanopus

None of those are common here. Mainly, the climate here is semi-arid. The average annual rainfall in Denver is 15.51 inches per year.

If you're fixed on trying to find those actives, then I would recommend studying the habitats for each and then get out and find places with that habitat. All of those species I would expect to find from mid-July to early September.

If you just want to learn about mushrooms then you're in a great place. Because of the mountains we have a huge variety of climates and habitats which result in a similarly large variety of mushroom species. We are blessed here with good numbers of edible mushrooms, and the numbers are low enough to keep the commercial pickers away.

Either way, good luck and happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I'm a newbie in CO...still have a few Q's. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1606372 - 06/03/03 11:46 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

yes, i had forgetten toxic is from colorado. that place is great for mushrooms, ive read a lot. would love to take a trip there for mushroom hunting someday. good luck with the mushrooms.

i didnt think that subbs grew in colorado. hmmm i guess they grow everywhere in north america then.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I'm a newbie in CO...still have a few Q's. [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1606619 - 06/04/03 01:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

They are pretty common in the right habitats... :wink: When in dout: Panaeolus subbalteatus...lol.

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
Re: I'm a newbie in CO...still have a few Q's. [Re: angryshroom]
    #1615988 - 06/07/03 02:41 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Are panaeolus subbalteatus potent? Anyone know?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I'm a newbie in CO...still have a few Q's. [Re: Meat_Log_Smurf]
    #1616054 - 06/07/03 04:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

They are less potent than cubensis... you need a good 4-7 grams to reach a level 2-3. They more speedy/visual than cubensis though.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification