Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecalavera
dog gamit.
 User Gallery

Loc: a little blue gren planet...
whole brown rice? please asap couse just doing it.
    #2333719 - 02/14/04 09:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

hi

i did some cakes, or almost did some cakes ising whole brown rice (no vermniculite) but the mycelium after nice and fast growing stopped growing.

so did u ever succesed with whole brown rice?
what should i do?

--------------------
share and enjoy

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: whole brown rice? please asap couse just doing it. [Re: calavera]
    #2334039 - 02/14/04 01:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This is called the 9er tek.  You can search for it, but I'll provide my experiences and improvements for the tek.

I've done plain rice in the past.  It will work, but there are a few factors to success.  I usually cook the rice first before PCing.  Fill the jars up as loosely as possible, since there is no vermiculite, you want to make your substrate as airy and fluffy as possible.  Water content is the other key,  after you fill a jar with cooked rice, add a teaspoon or two of water so the jars don't dry out, which may be the reason your jars stopped growing.  After this, put about 1/2 to inch of perlite on top as a contam barrier, if you didn't do this, or didn't tape the holes after innoc without a contam barrier, you might have a case of the nastys stopping mycellium growth.

I'd probably say that your cakes drying out is the main issue right now, you can try and inject some sterile water in the jars, but it's probably a 50/50 shot.  If I was you, I'd just wait on your cakes, they may start growing again.  If you don't see any noticeable growth in a week-week and a half, inject some water into them.  Finally, if you're going to do rice cakes, give them a week, or at minimum a few days to colonize after it looks like they're fully colonized.  That's because although the outside looks colonized, it takes longer for the mycelium to colonize the insides of the cake. 

It seems like it's harder for it to break down whole grains of rice, and if you don't wait you could be plagued with contams or aborts.  And don't forget to dunk after you birth, the cakes should be pretty dry by that time, especially because rice doesn't hold water that well.  Hope this helps  :gd_icon:

PS, next time post in the mushroom cultivation, this really doesn't belong here, but hey, I'm here to help.

Edited by biglo (02/14/04 01:29 PM)

Offlinecalavera
dog gamit.
 User Gallery

Loc: a little blue gren planet...
Re: whole brown rice? please asap couse just doing it. [Re: biglo]
    #2334781 - 02/14/04 05:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

hey thanks

great help.i was just confused,,,:D

yeah my cakes was dry, i picked them out...:D but the new ones will be cool...:D thanks to u

peace, :laugh:

--------------------
share and enjoy

OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Re: whole brown rice? please asap couse just doing it. [Re: calavera]
    #2335737 - 02/14/04 11:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have had a cake dry up and notice the stall in growth. So i took a syringe and and used 8CC to spray the mycilium near the spots that where not colonized yet. A day later it started growing considerably fast.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology