Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human] * 1
    #23189442 -

Not all seeds sink...

Well I've got some lopho and stombo seeds from a friend so hopefully third times the charm... I'll be planting them on Friday since I'll be off work.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23190420 -

ferrel_human said:
So now if anybody has any tips or tricks to get these guys going please let me know. Ive read several things from putting them in water over night. Putting them directly in soil and if you get no germination. Let it dry out and tey again. Ive heard of stratification. Also the other method where you put sand paper in a match box and rubbing off the outer layer. I dont know what its called. But i really want these babies to get going.



All of the above :laugh: Short of a controlled experiment, I'm not sure which method certainly does help or if it is wishful thinking when sprouts happen after a specific treatment. You might get some early sprouts, or not. Can be quite hit and miss with tephros, I have some pots that still throw up a seedling at times, years after the original sowing.

I'd expect tephros to float they do seem like they could be quite bouyant. Larger than many cacti seed but still incredibly light.


--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 


|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||


You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #23190647 -

Thanks for the reassurance guys. :super: yeah i do tend to be quite new to this cactus. I received a cactus graft of it. I won it from ebay. But being me and those whose know me here know, one of anything is never enough.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: modern.shaman]
    #23192979 -

modern.shaman said:
Not all seeds sink...

Well I've got some lopho and stombo seeds from a friend so hopefully third times the charm... I'll be planting them on Friday since I'll be off work.



I wasn't sure I would be starting more seeds, but if you're starting late I'll start my new set of seeds I got in the mail.

Here is where my one good graft is at:

 

I'm really impressed, in April 21st it was this little shrimp



We've been having a heat wave. It was 35 Celsius today. At the peak of summer it only hits 33 at best. There have been some years where we still had snow on mother's day.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: Fuzz-nutter]
    #23193349 -

Thats a nice graft man. Lately i havent been able to graft to save my life. These damn ants. But i sprayed the hell out of them with raid and i havent really seen them around today.

Youre super lucky fuzzy. Seems like the bugs havent gotten far in your nwck of the woods. Whats the temp in Fahrenheit?


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23193571 -

95 Fahrenheit! Very hot for us.

We had freezing temps last week, so we went from freezing, to 95 in a week. Winnipeg is a crazy city.

The bugs will be here soon though, no doubt about that. We have worse mozzies than anywhere I've ever seen. Spring is ashtrays a great time to camp before the bugs come out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: Fuzz-nutter]
    #23193671 -

Thats odd. Its not even that hot here. And we are closer to the equator.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23195558 -

Started a few seeds of Astrophytum "SuperKabuto" from my own plants - hoping to graft them in a week or two - at 19:30 GMT. I'm done sowing for this competition.


--------------------
Z. in sunny Lisbon, Portugal
Cactus grower particularly fond of north american miniatures.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/

Sowing cacti - my way!
Random pictures of my collection.
Photographing cacti, Z's way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: LSoares]
    #23201427 -

Fuzz_nutter, thats a nice graft man. You're turning on my competitive side... :wink:

haha I made a little mistake, I thought i had sown T. Krainzianus, but it was T. schmiedicheanus.

From the Turbi pots seedlings are starting to pop up, I already grafted the first one to pop, which was a pseudopectinatus, grafted it yesterday. I'll post pictures soon. Loph seeds look lke they might sprout any moment. A good friend of mine and one of my mentors in this cactus thing, gifted me some great seeds, 6 Ariocarpus trigonus seeds, like 25 A. kotschoubeyanus and like 150 Loph. diffusa(!!!). I'll get 'em in the trays this afternoon. Also got my hands dirty preparing more grafting stocks, have to admit I got jealous when I saw Fuzz_nutter's sea of pereskiopsis haha.


--------------------
This account is run by a fictional character. Any relation to reality is mere coincidence.


“Stupidity is an attempt to iron out all differences, and not to use them or value them creatively.”
― Bill Mollison


“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: the_r3dz]
    #23201495 -

the_r3dz I think that you could already take off those thin offshoots and root them, I have rooted samller ones with success. It shouldn't take more than two weeks before they root and start growing.
Since the larger one is in the center of the pot I would graft it on spot and then cut it off when sure the graft has taken. Since the other ones are on the borders I would take those off, 'caus they're in risk of getting hit and dislodging the graft, while you move the pots around.Probably taking 'em off with part of the older tissue might work, then burrying it underneath the soil, so you dont loose any length of fresh growth.
P.S. I know it wasn't in this post but thanks a lot for the rating bro.


--------------------
This account is run by a fictional character. Any relation to reality is mere coincidence.


“Stupidity is an attempt to iron out all differences, and not to use them or value them creatively.”
― Bill Mollison


“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ceiba]
    #23201532 -

Yeah I have a couple of offshoots that I've done that with rooting already, just watered one for the first time actually.

I was going to let the plant with all the arms be my sort of "mother", letting those shoots grow bigger and then I will top them and root the tips, see what the plant does with that.

I'm more worried about how thick they need to be before I can graft to them. I will be mostly grafting trichs so I think I want an extremely thick grafting stock, because I assume that it's not going to do much thickening up after being grafted onto.

Thank you for the advice, I'm not going to graft to those stocks that I have, I'm going to keep letting them produce shoots and then cutting the shoots to root, and then once those are thick enough I'll graft to them.

No worries man I went on a rating spree lol taking care of all the unrateds, it's not a good look :rofl:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: the_r3dz]
    #23202863 -

I sowed my lopho seeds today and this will be my last sowing regardless of being successful or not.

I won't be sowing the strombo seeds for this competition.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: modern.shaman]
    #23215195 -

I fucked up my first graft :facepalm3: got my arm over it, to move a pot behind and knocked the little pseudopectinatus off.

But well...
more Turbi. pseudopectinatus sprouted and 3 Loph. koheresiis as well, so got my hands to it.

a Loph. koheresii over a peniocereus serpentinus:


1 pseudopectinatus and 2 keheresiis on pereskiopsis, these were taken 4 days ago when i made the grafts:


I've set up a prep and recovery room to have a closer eye on them during the process, once they get stronger, tey'll go back to the greenhouse


This is the pseudopectinatus(taken today):


One koheresii


The other koheresii:


I have a tray and a few pots with more grafting stocks. After grafting on them, I'll try to get those to recover on site (in the greenhouse), shading just the scion, hope it works. I wanted to post some pic of these but i think i was a bit stoned whe i went to the roof and forgot to take them haha.

Haven't got my seeds in the ground, but I got more today, i traded Ortegocactus for Astophytum myriostigma seeds and got a huge bunch. Also got more A. kotschoubeyanus var. elephantidens, and found two more koheresii fruits this morning :grin:. I'll let you know when I've actualy sown 'em.


--------------------
This account is run by a fictional character. Any relation to reality is mere coincidence.


“Stupidity is an attempt to iron out all differences, and not to use them or value them creatively.”
― Bill Mollison


“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna

Edited by ceiba (05/11/16 06:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ceiba]
    #23215557 -

too rainy today
i'll sow tomorrow


--------------------
This account is run by a fictional character. Any relation to reality is mere coincidence.


“Stupidity is an attempt to iron out all differences, and not to use them or value them creatively.”
― Bill Mollison


“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ceiba]
    #23216657 -

ceiba said:
I fucked up my first graft :facepalm3: got my arm over it, to move a pot behind and knocked the little pseudopectinatus off.




It has happened to all of us. You might have tried regrafting a bit lower, if the connection existed there was vascular continuity and the graft would probably take (although a little cling film pressure helps in these circumstances). If you use Pereskiopsis and seedlings of a moderate size you may get two shots at making them stick, too - if not the first time, regraft a little lower.


--------------------
Z. in sunny Lisbon, Portugal
Cactus grower particularly fond of north american miniatures.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/

Sowing cacti - my way!
Random pictures of my collection.
Photographing cacti, Z's way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: LSoares] * 1
    #23222765 -

LSoares, tried it but the scion was a bit dry so it was more difficult to cut than the first time, it got squeezed between the razor and my finger, think I needed a sharper razor. But thanks, i know its a learning curve with lots of fuckups in the process. I'll keep on trying.

Finally i sowed today: (05/13/16)
-L.diffusa
-L. koheresii
-A. kotschoubeyanus var. elephantidens
-A. trigonus
-Astro. myriostigma

I might start with the next grafts tomorrow, some of the peresks in the greenhous are getting too large. The greenhouse's been getting too crouded these days.

Edited by ceiba (05/13/16 03:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: modern.shaman] * 1
    #23230760 -

So after 7 days I have my first 2 sprouts... I'll likely graft them next weekend.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: modern.shaman] * 1
    #23231773 -

I forgot to tell you guys but I sowed some more seeds.

I ordered Astrophytum mix and Turbinocarpus mix
I then mixed the two types of seeds together and put them into cells.

Sowed May 10 Astro/Turb


Sowed May 9 Loph Will, the ones that sprouted in the front are Texana


There are also some Loph species mix, but I didn't take pictures of the tops with the labels so I can't remember which is which from the pictures but yeah...they're there.

I accidentally left my Peres outside for a few hours after dark, one decided it didn't want it's leaves anymore.
But it's starting to grow tall, and getting some girth so I think maybe I'll have grafting stock
who knows, maybe I won't be very last but I'm honestly just here to learn from you guys and participate so yeah...just having fun growing little baby cacti.


Here's a picture of the aftermath of the disaster that struck the other night. Letting them dry before repotting


And my trich forest, not for the grafting competition but cool none the less. I suppose I did sow some of them a few weeks ago since I didn't have great germ rate with the Bridgesii, put some from a different vendor in there. Little babies, I wish I hadn't because some will be ready to be out of the container before terribly long.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: the_r3dz]
    #23232113 -

:jokerclap:
:bigyesnod:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: LSoares]
    #23233016 -

LSoares said:
Started a few seeds of Astrophytum "SuperKabuto" from my own plants - hoping to graft them in a week or two - at 19:30 GMT. I'm done sowing for this competition.



I forgot to post, but I sowed right when I saw you post this, so I'm going to piggy back for time stamp sake. Have some interesting seeds that I just got on dirt, will see how they go

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Cactus Grafting Competition 2013/2014
( 1 2 3 4 ... 29 30 )
naum 41,008 587 08/23/14 05:51 PM
by naum
* Grafting Competition 2012/2013
( 1 2 3 4 ... 16 17 )
modern.shaman 28,915 332 01/27/14 03:08 AM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* Grafting Contest 2013/2014 Pre-Contest Discussion Thread
( 1 2 all )
naum 2,914 26 09/16/13 06:52 PM
by ferrel_human
* Best grafts poll - Cactus Grafting Comp 2013/2014 Mostly_HarmlessM 841 8 09/23/14 02:45 AM
by LSoares
* Most beautiful poll - Cactus Grafting Comp 2013/2014 Mostly_HarmlessM 905 9 09/23/14 02:55 AM
by LSoares
* Best freaks poll - Cactus Grafting Comp 2013/2014 Mostly_HarmlessM 798 8 09/23/14 02:46 AM
by LSoares
* need help/advice with graft
( 1 2 all )
tryptonite 6,928 22 02/22/13 02:15 AM
by Juke Adro
* *NEW ARTICLE* Published Report Shows That Grafted Lophophora Remain Active And Other Issues Debunked
( 1 2 3 all )
modern.shaman 13,209 56 07/09/13 02:47 AM
by intelligentlife

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
44,477 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 10 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.