Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Re: JEB!,Hillary,Trump, or Bernie? [Re: Bigbadwooof]
    #23029673 -

what problems do red states have supposedly.  Seattle is ridiculously expensive.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: JEB!,Hillary,Trump, or Bernie? [Re: starfire_xes]
    #23029902 -

starfire_xes said:
State median income means NOTHING unless you take into account cost of living, which is highest in DEMOCRAT states. 

your argument holds no water at all.



At first glance, it sounds like you might be right.  Though people in Silicon Valley make a whole lot more than people in New Mexico (for example), the average home price here is around $1,000,000.  So the average person here can only afford an average home, just like in New Mexico.  So no real benefit, right?

Wrong.  The difference (and this is yuuuge) is that when I save 10% of my paycheck for retirement, I'm saving a LOT more than the guy in New Mexico saving 10% for his retirement.  Also, I'll be able to sell my home for $1,000,000, and move to any poor state I like and buy a very nice home with money to spare.  The average person in poorer states selling their home won't get nearly as much.

starfire_xes said:
States receive more or less tax money per capita for a number of reasons other than being poor.  If you have a small population and high median income, you will pay a higher amount of federal tax per capita than a state that has a small population, low income.



Exactly.

Edited by Falcon91Wolvrn03 (03/21/16 03:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: JEB!,Hillary,Trump, or Bernie? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23030527 -

so we are more or less agreement about that point--there is a number of factors that dictate both how much the per-capita tax rate is, and how much will be returned to a state, and most of it has to do with factors other than whether or not the people are poor.

But, you miss one thing.  As an engineer, i will make as much money in New Mexico as in Silicon Valley--i know for a fact because I took quite a hit moving to california.  I can still save the same amount for retirement.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: JEB!,Hillary,Trump, or Bernie? [Re: starfire_xes]
    #23030532 -

so how is not raising the minimum wage helpful?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: JEB!,Hillary,Trump, or Bernie? [Re: akira_akuma]
    #23030694 -

I give up.  Why isn't it?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: JEB!,Hillary,Trump, or Bernie? [Re: starfire_xes]
    #23031047 -

starfire_xes said:
you miss one thing.  As an engineer, i will make as much money in New Mexico as in Silicon Valley--i know for a fact because I took quite a hit moving to california.  I can still save the same amount for retirement.



I don't know about your specific situation, but the average person does a LOT better in Silicon Valley.  Let's look at median salaries for senior Electrical Engineers as an example:

Las Cruces, NM:  $104,245
Sunnyvale, CA:  $154,186

starfire_xes said:
akira_akuma said:
so how is not raising the minimum wage helpful?



I give up.  Why isn't it?



Because if you don't raise the minimum wage, people make a lot less (bad for the people), and they also spend a lot less (bad for the economy).


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: JEB!,Hillary,Trump, or Bernie? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #23031139 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
I don't know about your specific situation, but the average person does a LOT better in Silicon Valley.  Let's look at median salaries for senior Electrical Engineers as an example:

Las Cruces, NM:  $104,245
Sunnyvale, CA:  $154,186




I have not seen any jobs offering 150k for senior electrical engineers in california.

I make about 104K wherever I go, including in California. The problem with 150K?  California Taxes and Federal Taxes eat your ass alive.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: JEB!,Hillary,Trump, or Bernie? [Re: starfire_xes]
    #23031843 -

starfire_xes said:
I have not seen any jobs offering 150k for senior electrical engineers in california.



Then you haven't been searching in the Silicon Valley.  That's a pretty standard offering.

starfire_xes said:
The problem with 150K?  California Taxes and Federal Taxes eat your ass alive.



People who earn $150k get to take home a lot more money than people who earn $104k, even if their effective tax rate is higher.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* The wind at Hillary's back.
( 1 2 all )
lonestar2004 3,598 25 09/13/05 05:05 PM
by krishnamurti
* Jeb Bush?! Moonshoe 2,044 19 09/22/05 03:33 PM
by Dreamer987
* Hillary Clinton: The Pushy Broad
( 1 2 all )
Brain Fart 4,459 30 07/15/08 10:34 AM
by lonestar2004
* Hillary Clinton WILL destroy America
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
dedjam 7,500 103 06/09/07 01:08 AM
by FrenchSocialist
* Hillary Clinton
( 1 2 3 all )
trebbihm 3,507 42 02/12/07 05:55 PM
by Redstorm
* Jeb Bush v. Hillary Clinton Supernova 819 8 01/08/05 07:17 PM
by Vvellum
* Hillary 2008 Already in Gear
( 1 2 all )
ekomstop 3,925 30 11/04/04 01:36 PM
by Innvertigo
* Hillary Is Very Entertaining.....
( 1 2 all )
starfire_xes 2,844 25 07/06/14 03:56 PM
by Icelander

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
3,821 topic views. 3 members, 3 guests and 36 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.