Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Tacos

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Wexico
IRC Issue Continued
    #2291735 - 02/01/04 02:50 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Thor said:

I think Vamp, Geo really represent the community admins over there and thus we leave it to them to make decisions and run chat.

-------

geokills has shown little to no ability thus far to handle any administrative duties regarding chat. Calbha made points about communication, and they were accurate. It took a long time to get all of the facts in order, and the reason why the decision was made was never made clear. These issues seem to be symptomatic of geokills administrative strategy.

Calbha was correct in his assessment of how to correct this kind of thing from happening in the future. It must be communicated

1. what the problem is
2. what is being done about it
3. why it is being done
4. how the community feels about it

Thor talks about how the only admins involved in the decision were geokills and Vamp. Vamp was unsupportive of the decision, and so it would appear that there was either a two-way split over the issue, or geo didn't even bother to wait for Vamp's feedback before making the decision unilaterally, which is extremely hypocritical in light of recent events.

In the end, there was no real harm done, everything is just about back to normal, except of course for the fact that there are some names on the aop list that make absolutely no sense. As Thor also stated, board people and irc people tend not to be the same people, yet on the list are several names of people who rarely if ever visit chat. If we are trying to limit the number of people on the aop list, why is this? There are other, far more qualified candidates who are asking for their aops to be restored while other people who probably don't even know they have aops are not in the channel as they usually are.

So geo, please address some of this.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!"

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKevin
IES
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: IRC Issue Continued [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #2291754 - 02/01/04 02:59 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Taco would know what to do...  :shocked:

--------------------
"Is it a mile walking, or a mile driving?" - dobie

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
    #2291762 - 02/01/04 03:04 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

The main point of adding someone to the AOP list is so they can have chanserv auto-op them in case no on is around to do it. Of course, no one can do it anymore because of turning secureops on due to certain ops deciding to op everyone in the channel, which I'm sure is what you'd like to see done. The pairing of AOP list with secureops allows only a certain userbase to become ops, and no strangers to be oped.

WHY do we have ops to begin with? Operators can kick users, ban users, and change the topic as they see fit (users violating rules). So how many ops do we need to do this? Certainly not 60... The debate may arise that at times of a violation of the rules, there is not an op around or in the channel. But the actual times this happens a month is no more than a few. So I ask you, why do we need even the number of ops we have now and when will you stop complaining? Its not worth you wasting your time when you can create another channel and do as you please. #shroomery has gone to hell anyways...

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2291808 - 02/01/04 03:31 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

> So geo, please address some of this.

I will address all of this, but I'm not going to be baited into a drawn out and pointless argument as the decisions have been made and carried out accordingly and we don't have a time machine to go back and change it. :rolleyes:

Quote:

geokills has shown little to no ability thus far to handle any administrative duties regarding chat

I disagree with this statement.  First off, IRC requires little administrative policy and really only relies on technical administration of which I've already told everyone who's contacted me that Vamp is in charge of IRC and all technical questions should be directed towards him.  I still stand by the restructuring of #shroomery's access list.  Though the original incident that sparked the change (a personal battle that persisted for months and as of late was sucking up many administrative resources) is now null and void, the access list was restructured in a hierarchal format to preserve some order. 

While I'm all for an IRC # with unrestrictive OPs, in a large and volatile room like #shroomery it is much more effective to restrict OPs such that there are no "OP-wars" or attacks that serve to disrupt the channel.  I also believe that in addition to restricted OPs, selective choosing of who is on the list serves to furthermore organize the channel and allow for a safeguard against those who may abuse their privilage. 

Quote:

there are some names on the aop list that make absolutely no sense

As was decided amongst the administration, we should be keeping the list trimmed appropriately dependent upon the volume of the channel and as I stated before, all staff members will have standard level AOPs in the channel out of respect for the time they volunteer here since it is the official community chat room.  Though they may not participate often in chat, they are integral to the smooth operation of this community as a whole and should be given distinguished status in the official room, as they have already proven themselves a valuable asset to the community. 

All other users on the access list were chosen carefully amongst the administration in no more than 1-3 days following the initial minimization of the access list.  These users were chosen based upon the longevity of their history on IRC and their ability to be respectful and make sound judgement calls.  Unfortunately, I've noticed that the access list has already changed somewhat from what was agreed upon, but that's Vamp's cup o' tea now as I am distancing myself from the administration of IRC. 

If anyone in the IRC channel is having problems with an operator, they are urged to contact one of the SOP users who should then warn the offending party and barring change, remove their AOP status.  The SOP list as it stands:
  • phloid
  • senordoobie
  • Lana
  • TheInvizibleMan
  • Link
  • neuro
  • Suffer
  • Demon
  • Thor
  • Vampire999

Quote:

geo didn't even bother to wait for Vamp's feedback

The initial decision to restructure the access list was arrived upon through discussion with a number of staff members.  Vamp was not available when the first change was implemented and for that I have apologized numerous times but this decision was not made without hours of consultation and in the long run I still believe it has (and could continue to) serve a valuable purpose as outlined above. 

While I do have administrative powers on IRC, henceforth I will be very selective in using them as I simply cannot deal with the excessive drama and immaturity that stems from any decisions made there (I get enough of that dealin' with the beast that is the BB :smirk:).  As Vampire999 is an experienced IRC admin, any unresolved issues should be addressed to him and him alone.  Again, my apologies to those I may have inadvertently pissed off - let's move the fuck on because there's no sense in dragging last week's garbage back into the living room :syringe:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK Flag
Re: IRC Issue Continued [Re: geokills]
    #2293606 - 02/02/04 10:32 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

users were chosen based upon the longevity of their history on IRC and their ability to be respectful and make sound judgement calls

you know i find it kinda odd that your the one who gave me aops in the first place. i kinda liked havin my aops i dont see any reason why i shouldnt have them anymore. ive been chatting on irc for a good bit now. you even told me that anyone who stuck by the shroomery when it was goin through all the bullshit that they deserve aops. it feels great to spend so much time at a place and get to know so many people just to have them shit on you. i dont think i once ever had anyone complain about me having aops. i spend more time on irc than the boards lots of times there isnt a op around anymore it seems i can go there and scroll 100 lines and i bet there wouldnt be anyone there to kick me. its nice to people truly fell about me

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: IRC Issue Continued [Re: Dobie]
    #2294102 - 02/02/04 02:02 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

As stated, this wasn't meant to offend or insult.. and if you're looking to be added to the current list, your gripe ain't with me - it's with the SOPs I listed above.  I am not involving myself with #shroomery any longer, as I'd probably end up with a heart attack :lipsrsealed:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #2294298 - 02/02/04 03:36 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Yes, Dobie, please talk to one of the Sops about this. If you'd like, I could write you a letter of recommendation. You're a good guy. :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#2295289 - 02/02/04 09:58 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

y dont you just register your own channel and run it how you see fit?

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Re: IRC Issue Continued [Re: automan]
    #2295454 - 02/02/04 10:28 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

EXACTLY! What says you HAVE to use #shroomery?

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: IRC Issue Continued [Re: TinMan]
    #2295577 - 02/02/04 11:01 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

#wexico

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2295737 - 02/02/04 11:59 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

You will need three letters of reference and to fill out an application and file it with the secretary by monday.  :blush:

OfflineCalbha
Nerd of the Herd

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona
Re: IRC Issue Continued [Re: neuro]
    #2296260 - 02/03/04 04:15 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

i already suggested him to multipul people multipul times :laugh:

--------------------
Learn from your mistakes never regret them....

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Re: IRC Issue Continued [Re: neuro]
    #2296712 - 02/03/04 10:11 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

show me the application and i can get the letter of references :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#2297276 - 02/03/04 02:28 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

just type:

/msg chanserv REGISTER [channel] [password] [description]

BAM, you have your own channel

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#2298782 - 02/03/04 10:07 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

Why don't you?

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

#2298794 - 02/03/04 11:06 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

You were one of the many people who wouldn't drop it...

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
    #2298892 - 02/03/04 11:50 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

i got my aops neuro you rock :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#2304516 - 02/05/04 01:03 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

That's because the issue hadn't been resolved yet.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Tacos

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback