Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Wexico
the irc situation
    #2284265 - 01/29/04 04:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Some very drastic, apparantly not very well thought out deciisons were made recently regarding #shroomery. A couple of nights ago it would seem that mndfreeze re-realized his oline and was abusing it as he has done on every network that I have ever seen him establish such status. This time he was randomly /killing 3DSHROOM over what I can only imagine to be past grievances and a general dislike for the guy. Anyway, his oline was revoked and his response was to use his aops to kick 3d from the channel randomly and once again 3d was upset, and this is understandable assuming that the kicks were frequent and relentless for any more than an hour.

Now, in response to 3d's bitching about this and through his creation of "slanderous" threads on the bb, the glorious administration has decided that the best way to fix this problem would be to take aops away from almost everyone who had them a week ago this time and replace them with people who are only current admins and moderators of the bb.

This is a horrendous mistake and I will now illustrate why.

Through the evolution of the Shroomery community, the boards and the irc chat were never really handled the same way, and were often not even handled by the same people. Most people tend to drift to either the boards or the chat, which from this point on will be referred to as two seperate communities. The boards have always had a far more serious tone when it came to issues of community politics. Bans were are and only used as a last option, and are often set for a specific number of days. Chat, generally, has been handled with a more loosey-goosey approach, and it makes the irc experience more "Wild West" and is both more fun and suitable for the irc environment.

Because of the nature by which the two communities have grown, the change made to the irc channel makes no real sense. For one the likelihood of an op being around when an op is needed has been decreased drastically, because not only has the sheer number of ops the channel once had been cut to a mere fraction of itself, but at least half of the names on the current list rarely if ever visit chat. They are BB moderators and admins, people who have drifted more toward the BB side of the community than the chat.

Secondly, the fewer number of people that have access to a level of power, the more envied the power becomes, and the more powerful the power becomes.

Let us say for instance that there is only one op in a channel and someone comes into the channel spouting some information that the op finds offensive, or just plain doesn't want to see. He can ban that member and kick him out. If however there are two ops, and the op who sees the other op perform this can remove the ban and peace can be restored.

Secondly, it should be mentioned that bans in irc are rarely necessary but are often inflicted. This can be for a variety of reasons, including abusive ops, or it is done for fun.

I have aops in #shroomery and often I will kick a member as the butt of a joke. Nobody really bitches about this kind of banther, the person comes back, calls me an asshole and I tell him to go fuck himself. I'm not the only one who does it, and often ops will take turns kicking each other for sport. The mood of the chat is usually very merry and everyone for the most part realizes that it is just kidding around.

It useed to be in the chat that all someone had to do to achieve aops was to hang out for a period of time, generally six months, and to make their presence known to the chat community. Because the number of people grows in the chat, the op list grows as well, which leaves a bunch of people who have aops, generally half the channel, sometimes more, less, whatever, but the ops are free to use their silly powers to ban, unban, kick, give voice ops, change the topic.

It's not as though an aop has the power to ban someone from the network, and it is not as though the ban list is not frequently cleared, because it is, very frequently in fact, no more than two days generally.

This style has led to a very successful chatroom which up until a couple of days ago had absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Now a bunch of people are pissed off. Someone took their toy away and didn't provide a reason. (sound familiar OTD'ers?). I got a story as to what led up to the decision, but no reason. Logic is lost on some people, and unfortunately some of those people run this website.

Here is how the chatroom should be run, ideally.

All new members should have the right to gain aops once they have been at the irc channel for three months and have had requested them and have made their presence known in the chat. Aops can be revoked from specific members if the consensus of the community is that they are abusing them.

That's really about it, it should only take about three or four sops to make sure that this policy is run expediently, and I demand that I be one of them, because I am a fair person and an intelligent one.

This change to the channel that was made by geokills, no surprise I'm sure, will last for two weeks, a number that should also sound familiar to otd'ers.

This change, like the OTD one, has done nothing but create a shitload of drama, and feelings of negativity. The happy vibe that once encompassed chat is now an edgy one, and one that is really not worth this bullshit.

I expect intelligent and coherant responses from those responsible, and from those who advocate the change.

I'm pretty fucking angry, and it's been a long time since I've been this angry at this place.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Re: the irc situation [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #2284294 - 01/29/04 04:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You can only piss on a tree so long before it dies.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#2284321 - 01/29/04 04:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

By the way, the moderators will defend the decision, because it gives the moderators more power. Effed disgusts me.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2284329 - 01/29/04 04:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have a midterm exam very soon which I'm trying to cram for - so I didn't get to read more than 20% of this thread as of yet. However, I just wanted to point out not only BB staff are on the OP list. There are also designated IRC staff members such as Link, Phloid, and none other than SenorDoobie on the op list.

Additionally, as time presses on we will once again expand our coverage of the channel in terms of channel operators. At the time of incident, it seemed a beneficial course of action to take (i.e. extensive trimming of the OP list) in order to prevent further personal battles from ocurring in #shroomery. This decision was made in haste and for that I apologize, but everyone needs to start understanding that losing a little @ sign by your name is not a big deal. Users who have made it clear that they are around with some regularity and exhibit sound judgement will have their ops returned in the not so distant future. Right now however, everyone needs to settle down and stop blowing this out of proportion and I need to get back to my reading..

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: the irc situation [Re: Effed]
    #2284335 - 01/29/04 04:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Effed said:
You can only piss on a tree so long before it dies.

PS Thanks for the coherent and logical response, advocate.

--------------------

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
    #2284341 - 01/29/04 04:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I dont care either way, you know yourself I hardly IRC.
I just thought that was a suitable analogy.

As you were. Dont be sore.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: the irc situation [Re: geokills]
    #2284342 - 01/29/04 04:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Read my post, and respond to my plan.

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#2284357 - 01/29/04 04:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

doob, are you not an operator anymore?

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: the irc situation [Re: automan]
    #2284366 - 01/29/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I still have my aops but my sops were revoked.

The only thing an sop can do that an aop can't is add people to the aop list. Some people don't like my name on that list because I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt in whether or not they can achieve the status of aop. I have been on and off that list frequently, but I have always acted as a representitive of the people and not one of myself.

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#2284381 - 01/29/04 04:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

so, the problem is not that you dont have "mod" powers, but that you dont have the "admin ability" to give that power to others?

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: the irc situation [Re: automan]
    #2284409 - 01/29/04 05:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

He has a semi-valid gripe... with the reduced number of mods (irc ops), there are times that no mods (irc ops) are actively online. As it has already been said, this is a short term thing... more people will be added in the near future. It is an unfortunate consequence of childish behavior by a few of our non-admin users that had 'admin irc' rights. As a result of their tit-for-tat game, everybody is paying the price.

OfflineCalbha
Nerd of the Herd

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona
Re: the irc situation [Re: geokills]
    #2284467 - 01/29/04 05:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i will say i am disgruntled about this but i guess bitching wont change anything.....for exsample someone was just in the chat talking shit about ripper.....had i my ops i would have promptly banned them.... this is going to be most intresting and taxing when someone thinks its time for a bot attack on the channel as had been done in the past. thought it wont dos the server it will certainly be most obnoxious. OH WELL!

--------------------
Learn from your mistakes never regret them....

Offlinepants
Butt.

Loc: Internet
    #2284552 - 01/29/04 05:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Put me in charge of things. I swear to fucking god I'll ban the whole lot of you and burn Africa to the fucking ground.

--------------------
Posting large images in sign[a]tures is not allowed.

OfflineCalbha
Nerd of the Herd

Folding@home Statistics
Re: the irc situation [Re: pants]
    #2284617 - 01/29/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

awesome pants just awesome :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2284687 - 01/29/04 06:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

FYI

I havnt had my oline for a long long long long time. I have no idea where doobie got his information other then he made it up in blindy land.

if i *HAD* my oline this situation wouldnt have happened, because unlike everyone else here I would have banned the 'problem' a long fucking time ago :P

But thats another story!

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: the irc situation [Re: Barbi]
    #2284702 - 01/29/04 06:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I forgot to add, the day everyones ops were removed I was IDLEmost off the day. So, if someone saw me kicking him for hours on end (im SURE a lie on SOMEONES part) someone should let me know and give me some logs so I can track down wheover it was that either...

a) hacked my machine (highly unlikely)

or

b) used my nick somehow and no one bothered to CHECK to see if it was (decently likey)

or

c) 3d was diopng something that was pissing off my irc clients protection shit and it was autokicking him. (most likely)

Regardless doobs, dont spread your lies and filth bullshit about me here. If you want to account for actions then recount them with truth and not half ass shit that someone or you made up because it suits you.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: the irc situation [Re: Barbi]
    #2284726 - 01/29/04 06:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The story that I recounted above was given to me by neuro. Sorry to paint you in the light I did, I obviously didnt have all the facts available.

Anyway, your information does not make the administration look any wiser, as I'm sure you know, and I think that we can be unified in our defiance of this total idiocy and hope that peace be restored imminently.

Seuss, mnd, above is a proposed plan for how the aop situation in #shroomery should be handled. Please comment. I think it is fair.

Basically, it just says that after three months, people should earn status of aop until it is abused in the opinion of most of the channel.

--------------------

OfflineCalbha
Nerd of the Herd

Folding@home Statistics
    #2284744 - 01/29/04 06:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

just outta curiosity while we're comparing this incident to the otd incident im wondering why do we keep doing things to the servers that ppl obviously dont like.....very few people were happy with otd being shut down and the only people that are going to be happy about all these ops and stuff being taken away is the people that want to cause problems in the chat....(ie oea and others) how would you feel if someone suddenly revoked your powers as a admin and started doing things to the board that you disagreed with strongly.....im guessing not too happy.....and what would you do about the situation, im asking you to look at this as highly objective as possible. now im not really trying to throw a fit here because i didn't really feel i deserved ops in the first place as there was other people in that channel without them that had been there long before i had. but then again those people that have been there long before me and already had ops probably aren't happy about this situation either. Id also like to point out in my short time on shroomery Ive been on irc the most in comparison. (nothing really to brag about) but at lest i know how things work and when is a good time to ban someone or what have you.
Its been said quite a bit on here and i fully agree with it....IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!

--------------------

Edited by Calbha (01/29/04 07:01 PM)

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #2284754 - 01/29/04 07:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Doobie said:
Basically, it just says that after three months, people should earn status of aop until it is abused in the opinion of most of the channel.

That sounds reasonable. Perhaps you could re-phrase your plan in fewer words. That is an incredibly long post. The Admins have been discussing this situation. I haven't gotten too involved, because I'm not a big chat-guy, but I know our best minds are working on it... :wink:

PS: Smile when you say, "the Glorious Administration!" :grin:

--------------------

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: the irc situation [Re: Papaver]
    #2284782 - 01/29/04 07:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It should go back to the way it was. Its a social situation and rgeardless it will ALWAYS be a popularity contest. There is no 'proper' way to administrate an irc channel or network and make everyone happy unless everyone can have equal rights and get along. However, I dont see shroomery having that wonderful kind of connection.

nyways, it should just go back as it aws before some people decided just to axe everything. Maybe put some people in place that actually KNOW how to usr irc properly as well since I noticed tons of people seem to get put into power who dont even know how to do the shit their power entitles them to.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback