Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagus
Dazed

Loc: Midwest USA
Just to be safe about my harvest--
    #2283446 - 01/29/04 10:09 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--I picked 7 mushies yesterday of the Amazonian variety. I left them alone for two days... before they were a nice color of brown and very attractive, but when I picked them yesterday, there was a black inky substance EVERYWHERE. All over on the perlite beneath them, and on the stems and caps of smaller mushrooms. The tallest ones had no black ink on the top of their cap but the smaller ones did. The nature of the black ink, as well as the very flat and mature caps, leads me to believe spores were dropped. Also the inky substance swiped off easily with a napkin.

Furthermore, and slightly more concerning, was that there was some weird hairlike fuzz on the stems of my shrooms. The hairs were about 1 cm long and generally creeped me out. I washed my shrooms off and cleaned them, and this hair came right off.

Any reason for concern and how can I make sure the hair thing doesnt happen in the future?

--------------------
Disclaimer:

1. When I use the word "I", it means a friend of a friend wants me to ask. The word "I" simply cuts down on the amount of letters I need to type.

2. I do not engage in illegal activities. I am appaled by all of you and your apparent disregard for the law.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: Just to be safe about my harvest-- [Re: Magus]
    #2283652 - 01/29/04 11:23 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

are you joking? Spores. They drop spores, that's your "black inky substance".

We need to set up a system where you can't join the forums till you've read the site.

--------------------

OfflineMagus
Dazed

Re: Just to be safe about my harvest-- [Re: JetBlackNinja]
    #2284080 - 01/29/04 01:22 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I've read the Psylocibe Fanticus method probably about 20 times now, and have browsed this site relentlessly for the past week. Although I havent encountered any information about shrooms dropping spores while still in the terrarium, I was aware they probably were just spores. However there is nothing wrong with being safe. Mostly I was concerned with the white hairs on the stems. I know that mycellium can grow on the shroom if humidity is low, which is what I suspect, however I didn't imagine it being hairlike... I pictured itl ike the other mycellium (sans hairlikliness).

Oh, and as long as I'm posting this, I was wondering also if small amounts of vermiculite or perlite would be dangerous at all.

(As a post script, I would like to apologize for offending anyone with my precautions, which might seem a obvious to you. As a first time grower with a good understanding of whats going on, I am not perfect, and the last thing I would want is to poision my friends or loved ones with bad shrooms.)

--------------------
Disclaimer:

1. When I use the word "I", it means a friend of a friend wants me to ask. The word "I" simply cuts down on the amount of letters I need to type.

2. I do not engage in illegal activities. I am appaled by all of you and your apparent disregard for the law.

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Magus]
    #2284170 - 01/29/04 01:50 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: Just to be safe about my harvest-- [Re: Tremor1127]
    #2286905 - 01/30/04 11:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Black ink shit is spores, no need to whipe off, wont harm you. The hairlike stuff on the stems is mycelium from high high humidity.Next time dont use some much perlite/water.

Perlite will crack your teeth, dont inhale the dust from it, vermaculite will make your shit look like glitter, and wont harm you. When you washed your shrooms, this was bad. You probably exessevly handled them, and probably washed a bit of psilocybin off them. You also made them even more wet, so its going to take a long time to dry, if put them under a fan quick.

You sound like ya know what your doing, but you got nervous after you harvested. If you have a mature shroom, it cannot be contaminated unless you see bacterial rot on the caps(turns a spot on the cap to black jelly)your shrooms are fine(throw the cap away if you see bacterial rot) Sometimes a drop of water will drop on the cap and rot a dot on it, so if this happens just cut the rot off before drying.

Edited by resin (01/30/04 11:34 AM)

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: Just to be safe about my harvest-- [Re: Magus]
    #2289256 - 01/31/04 07:49 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Washing them is a terrible idea. They rot even faster. Get them drying!

And don't worry about people getting annoyed at you for posting what many will see as a redundant question. If you have read the material and you still are not sure, just ask and don't worry about people taking offence. It happens.

If you can suggest any way to reword the faq or add to it to make it easier for even one extra person to understand then please, post suggestions in the faq forum.

OfflineMagus
Dazed

Re: Just to be safe about my harvest-- [Re: utopianglory]
    #2291174 - 02/01/04 03:42 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks a lot guys, especially the advice on water and handling :smile: 

I was worried the mycellium stem growth then might have been from low humidity.... well I might now trip as much off those shrooms but at least I wont die :P

--------------------
Disclaimer:

OfflineMagus
Dazed

New Question [Re: Magus]
    #2298142 - 02/03/04 04:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Uhhh, I dried my shrooms.  I cut holes at the bottom of a tupperware container, stacked it over another same-sized tupperware container with DampRid at the bottom.  I put the lid on and 3 days later had poor results.  I cut bigger holes for more air contact between shrooms and DampRid.  I also took the lid off for increased air exchange.  The next day they were very dry (not quite cracker dry).  I grinded these shrooms into small pieces and put them in a baggy, and put the baggy directly on the DampRid.  However, I noticed 2 of my 7 shrooms had a very very small patch of either white or very light aqua colored fuzz on the top of their caps.  (Also the stems started growing mycellium again in the drying chamber).  Also I noticed the mushroom smell grew stronger-- I can smell them from about 1 foot away now.  I am worried that they were too moist for too long and started growing a mold.  Later today I plan on powderizing the now- cracker dry mushroom pieces.

Should they be safe to eat?  If someone only tries like 1 gram, would they be able to tell if the shrooms were bad without any sort of hospital incident?  Is there any easy and safe way to tell if they're contaminated without harassing you guys in this thread? 

--------------------
Disclaimer:

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

Re: New Question [Re: Magus]
    #2298209 - 02/03/04 04:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I feel it is the grower's responsibility to try any questionable mushrooms and test them for death/sickness.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order