Home | Community | Message Board



Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
Registered: 01/29/04
Posts: 144
Last seen: 2 years, 4 months
White cotton-like stuff on shrooms - is it safe to eat them?
    #2296716 - 02/03/04 10:13 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm growing mushrooms (Stropharia Cubensis) in the ready-to-grow growing kit obtained from a holland company (www.sjamaan.com). The kit was opened on 21st January and left in the closed plastic bag as it was written in the instructions.

The white micelium formed within a few days and the shrooms started to grow.. but, on 29th January I noticed a small patch of green mold (trich) in one corner of the kit. There was no growth of mushrooms 3-4 cm around that patch. I cut out that part with a sterilized spoon and poured one teaspoon of very diluted sodium hypochlorite right on the place where trich was. I also put some salt there and a little wider from that area. Green mold progressed 1-2 cm more from the original place, "ate" a few very small mushrooms and stopped growing at the place where the mushrooms are thicker. There's a distinct line where trich stopped and where mushrooms take over. It seems that salt has mostly destroyed trich because now the part where the green devil was isn't as green as it used to be, but more like faded darkened green, and there's no growth of either trich or shrooms there.
All in all, trich has spread maybe to about one fifth of the total growing area.

Now, after about 14 days, the largest shrooms are about 6-7 cm tall, and their caps seem to have opened (that's the time when one is advised to reap the first flush according to the company's instructions).

The caps are smaller than I thought... the largest one has the cap with a diameter of about 2 cm. The stalk of the shrooms is white, and I can't see any suspicious spots except for one very small blue/green (size of a needle) spot on one small shroom. The caps have brown color that I'd say matches the color I saw on the pictures of healthy shrooms that can be found on the Net.

However, almost all shrooms have some totally white, cotton-like, fuzzy stuff between their heads and stalks. I don't know how to describe it... it doesn't really look like spider web, since there are no patterns in it. The best way to describe it is that it looks very similar to the white stuff I found on the surface of fresh Psilocybe Mexicana (Truffles) which I also got from the same company, and which were, by the way, delicious! :smile:

I am a total beginner as far as mushroom growing is concerned, so please advise me if they are safe to eat. I sure don't want to cause myself some permanent health problem or even die. I read a lot of warnings on this and other forums about a whole range of mycotixins that can be quite fatal. It made me a little bit scared. I thought about eating only a very small piece (size of a pea) and see if I'll feel sick, and if I don't it means it's safe to consume them.. am I right here?

Overall, the shrooms look pretty much normal (though I'm not an expert on it!), and I'm tempted to try them... but, I would like to hear your expert opinion. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Unfortunately, I cannot post pictures. But if it's necessary, I'll try to obtain a webcam tomorrow.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 7,275
Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Last seen: 7 months, 18 days
Re: White cotton-like stuff on shrooms - is it safe to eat t [Re: alphaone]
    #2297306 - 02/03/04 02:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Pics would be great for us to diagnose this problem. Personally and after reading your description i believe you should be ok since the infection was not so big and was well treated. You really did well by using bleach and salt.
The white fuzz and that little blue/green spot are common, so don't worry too much about them.
Report back if you notice any contamination growth.

MAIA


--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala



Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
Registered: 01/29/04
Posts: 144
Last seen: 2 years, 4 months
Re: White cotton-like stuff on shrooms - is it safe to eat t [Re: MAIA]
    #2298023 - 02/03/04 06:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

MAIA thank you for replying.

I've just picked the first flush of shrooms.. The white stuff isn't really the problem but I've discovered that 3 out of 10 mushrooms have green to slightly blue color on their stems and some even below their caps! (sigh). There are just a few very small ones whose caps are almost all green or almost black. Now I'm not sure if it's safe to eat them..

I tried that test with cotton soaked in water and tried to wipe off the green/blue color.. but nothing came off (perhaps 3-4 smaller pieces but they don't look like spores to me, spores should be invisible as separate.. I think). So this test is supposed to tell me that this is not green mold. But how can I be sure..

Their smell is ok I guess.. reminds me of lemon a bit. One mushroom which is particulary green smells more like a towel for feet... but it's hard to tell if that's my imagination or reality.


If it is green mold after all, what might happen to me if I eat it (what are the health risks)?


Edited by alphaone (02/03/04 06:11 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 7,275
Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Last seen: 7 months, 18 days
Re: White cotton-like stuff on shrooms - is it safe to eat t [Re: alphaone]
    #2299683 - 02/04/04 07:02 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I believe that blue/green color you see is just bruising, it happens when you handle the mushrooms, sometimes it's due to the drying procedure itself, which is ok. Sometimes, excessively bruised mushrooms tend to deteriorate very quickly if not dried properly, discard those.
The health risk implications depend on the kind of green contamination. You should try to identify it first because there are some green molds which can make you very sick.
Look, if you are unsure about the mushrooms, toss them and try again. Tripping and thinking you might get sick is not a good combination.

MAIA


--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala



Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male
Registered: 01/29/04
Posts: 144
Last seen: 2 years, 4 months
Re: White cotton-like stuff on shrooms - is it safe to eat t [Re: MAIA]
    #2299820 - 02/04/04 09:40 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You are right, this is just bruising. The color is actually petroleum blue, especially now when they've dried somewhat.

To test them, I ate one middle sized mushroom yesterday (about 5 cm tall), and didn't feel sick at all. I didn't feel too strong psychedelic effect either but that's probably due to small dose (I felt the buzz, cigarettes tasted superbly, and felt that my introspective abilities increased, but objects didn't get auras and I didn't quite feel 'being in the Mushroom Land' as it was the case with Psilocybe Mexicana - more or less the same volume as this small Cubensis mushroom). I'll try a larger dose next time.

This was my first time harvesting mushrooms, and I was a little scared that things might go wrong, so I had to ask someone with more experience. Thank you again for advice. :smile:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Will/Can myc eat trich? rick0909 2,288 10 05/14/08 02:33 PM
by Psilocelium
* Old shrooms safe to eat? ledzep228 1,167 5 11/15/04 02:08 PM
by MAIA
* Possible moudly shrooms, to eat or not to eat? Aeon01 911 1 04/29/05 12:22 PM
by MAIA
* Heavily bruised cakes and shrooms->safe?
SugarRay
1,231 2 03/26/09 06:10 PM
by RogerRabbit
* Is this Trich...and are these ok to eat ? (pics) BlackCat0315 1,480 5 05/09/07 03:01 PM
by usng
* will i die if I eat these? *DELETED* deadbear 1,059 12 10/16/08 05:12 PM
by IcAnFeeLthErain
* Are They Safe To Eat? SlamDog_C 901 2 02/26/02 07:59 AM
by SlamDog_C
* woke up this morning and some blue stuff on the cake sanjo9 1,305 9 01/24/05 11:59 PM
by sanjo9

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Tmethyl, Pastywhyte
4,176 topic views. 0 members, 4 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2017 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.059 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.