Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Pressure cooker or just boiling water?
    #22751 - 06/29/00 10:48 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Actually most techniques use either steam-pressure canners (pressure canner) or boiling-water canner as a alternative. Have you ever actually cultivated m
ushrooms or are you just saying you have?

This is a picture of a steam canner the type i have had success with, i use a big phat all american pressure cooker these days, the boiling water bath tech can also work.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStarr
old hand
    #22753 - 06/29/00 10:52 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

I just boiled mine in a big pot of water, and had no problems, (it fit 7).

------------------

E, it's whats for dinner!

--------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/starr

InvisibleKavalo
Phallic Mushroom
Loc: Portugal
    #22754 - 06/30/00 11:34 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

i boiled 6 jars in the pressure cooker and 3 in a rice cooker... and they?re all ok.. almost all fully colonized...

OfflineStarr
old hand
    #22755 - 06/30/00 11:39 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

You know what happened with mine? I did everything right, boiled the jars, waited till the next day and innoculated them. I waited almost two week and nothing happened. I think the spores died in the mail. It was really hot out the few weeks before I got them. So I re-innoculated them, and the grew.

--------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/starr

Anonymous

#22756 - 06/30/00 01:41 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

sean1234, I don't quite appreciate you questioning my credibility but if you must know then yes, I've been cultivating for over a year now and have had several successful harvests.

Offlinehitterg
enthusiast
    #22757 - 06/30/00 06:15 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Growing for over a YEAR! and your still using a pot and boiling water. That is one reason I would question if you've ever grown.

I believe the reason that sean said what he did is you said "I've been sorting through a number of teqs the past few days and I've come across one definitive aspect in each of them." You should have found out about p.cookers the first time you started growing, why did it take you a year to figure out almost all teks say to use one?
Also, in a year you still have not found a tek that works for you?? your still going through differant teks??

I think that sean had a very viable reason to question your credibility. CHILL OUT!

Anonymous

#22758 - 06/30/00 07:27 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Pot works...so does a cooker...just make sure no none water gets in. :smile:

Anonymous

#22759 - 06/30/00 08:58 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, hitterg, I think you can suck it. I've known about cookers since day one but there aren't many places around my house that sell them (I live in Montana mind you). The only tek I had for close to 8 months was the MMGG and that was because a friend of mine had passed it on to me. I just came across this site and therefor, found a bunch of other teks. I'm noticing that a lot of you on this board jump to conclusions rather easily. So lay off my case and stop giving me shit for such a trivial thing.

Offlinesnarf
enthusiast
    #22760 - 07/01/00 12:09 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Feel the love.

Anyways, ground up substrates tend to do fine in just boiling water. If you ever go to something that calls for whole grains you are going to need a pressure cooker. Lots of people have mentioned ebay and they seem to be right. For 30 bucks you could get lucky and get a really good one. So, if you don't want to get a pressure cooker stick to ground substrates and your contams will stay low.

I should say that i've never used just boiling water but I thought i'd add some info as to why you may have been so successful, in a more tactful way I might add. :wink:

-snarf

Anonymous

#22761 - 07/02/00 03:55 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

You tell himm.

Offlinehitterg
enthusiast
    #22762 - 07/03/00 12:00 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

It took you 8 months to find a tek other than MMGG?? It took me like 3 days and I had about ten differant teks.
Have you ever done any work in your life, like going and looking for teks yourself, or do you just sit back like a fat ass and let your friends bring them to? It's called research, you may have heard of it, try it some time, don't just rely on other people to get the information for you, DIP SHIT.
Also, it does not take 8 months to find/order a pressure cooker and have it sent to you, I should know, thats what I had to do.

If you don't like the way people reply to you, then just GO AWAY!!!

Offlinefarmer
Loc: canada
    #22763 - 07/03/00 01:29 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

i tried boiling water several times (pf tek) and it never worked once i believe this is due to alttitude 4000ft above sea level

Offlineaural
Hola Amigos!
Loc: The Desert In The Spring
    #22764 - 07/03/00 02:02 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

One way around the requirement for a p.c. using whole grains might be to either soak them overnight to germinate any contaminant spores,+/or precook the grains.That said,I'd highly recommend a p.c.I live at 5000 ft,and even with a pressure cooker,have pretty much given up trying whole rye grain.I suppose with my own suggestions,and longer times I could get it to work,but there are plenty of other substrates that are great and easier to sterilize,so why bother?

BTW,it's a proven fact that people who type several sentences in multiple responses just to give somebody shit about an honest question are bona fide assholes.You can look it up!

Offlinefarmer
Loc: canada
    #22765 - 07/03/00 02:11 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

i use a pc at 4000ft and ajust for Boyles law and have no problems steralizing whole rye although i use liquid inoc which is fast as can be

Anonymous

#22766 - 07/03/00 04:19 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

aural, well said. hitterg, invest in a broom-handle remover. I've noticed that you and a few other users simply go from post to post to give negative responses to people of lesser growing knowledge. If you don't like the posts, go to the advanced board, otherwise just shut the fuck up. Its people like you that make the rest of us assholes look bad.

Anonymous

#22767 - 07/03/00 05:12 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Pressure cookers are much more reliable than boiling water although boiling water does work farily well if you boil for a looong time.
Pressure cookers are much more reliable and quicker. Check your local Sally Ann and trhift shops, there are lots of used ones out there for just a couple bucks. Make sure it has a decent seal.

And as for the people who had nothing to say other than insults...why even bother posting if you don't have something to add?
Maybe the guy didn't have a computer to find teks on, who knows...who cares!

------------------
Visit the Spore Lab at: http://www.sunshine.net/www/1700/sn1730
It's a trip you'll never forget!

Offlinehitterg
enthusiast
    #22768 - 07/04/00 07:45 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry, this is one of the ONLY times I have ever posted negative comments, and for this I am sorry. I don't know what go up my ass, I guess I didn't like Psyentists going off on sean right away, but I know this is no excuse, so I humbly apologize.

-hitterg

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags