Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Any Carl Jung book recommendations for the average reader? [Re: laughingdog]
    #22742259 -

Yes, well, I cannot stomach religious bigotry. Mormonism is not my chosen faith-stance, but I've met and known a few, and I'm not going be hateful towards anyone on the basis of their creed.


--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any Carl Jung book recommendations for the average reader? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #22743264 -

MarkostheGnostic said:
Yes, well, I cannot stomach religious bigotry. Mormonism is not my chosen faith-stance, but I've met and known a few, and I'm not going be hateful towards anyone on the basis of their creed.



Sounds like you're mad at me, and use the same term of rejection I used, but direct it at me.

By the way like Mark Twain, I find the whole lot of religions to be silly. But I don't verbally or otherwise, attack individuals for their Religious views. If someone wants to debate various aspects of religion, I will debate the views, only if it seems there might be some benefit. Usually there is no benefit if both parties are already familiar with the issues. Folks usually don't change beliefs as a result of rational discussion with a stranger, as we both know.

Maybe something else I said irked you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any Carl Jung book recommendations for the average reader? [Re: laughingdog]
    #22743999 -

I don't KNOW you. All I see are words on a screen. But putting words together creates meaning, and what I reject is not someone I do not KNOW, but the meaning of religious intolerance. It is arrogant to presume that another religious idiom cannot serve as a vehicle for truth, wisdom, compassion, or connection to others. Religious myths that are misinterpreted as actual history is the problem. Myth, midrash, metaphor, metaphysics and metapsychology have always been part of the human experience. They cannot ALL be embraced by a single person, but it is incumbent upon human beings to practice tolerance and acceptance of those people who embrace a world-view that is OTHER than one's own. THAT is what irks me. I neither revere or accept the prophet/angel Moroni, but out of respect to many Mormons I will refrain from ridiculing or demeaning their myths. What I reject is the misidentification of myth as history, but that goes for ALL religions.


--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any Carl Jung book recommendations for the average reader? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #22744267 -

Then again if you had a daughter and a Mormon wanted to marry her who already had several wives,for example, you might not feel it is all so black and white, .

The religions of the world are of course nowhere near as tolerant of each other, as you say we all should be. Your talk about them all being 'ways to the truth' is frequently flatly contradicted by their behavior.

Finding religion generally distasteful is not bigotry. Joseph Campbell is interesting, that is a different matter. Again if you had a young child in Texas who was interested in science and the Christians were forcing your child to answer test questions based on a text book that gave "intelligent Design" the same footing as evolution, you might find your theoretical position needed some adjusting. Seems to me, there are many such examples in the real world.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any Carl Jung book recommendations for the average reader? [Re: laughingdog]
    #22745000 -

These are not good examples in that they are hypothetical and tinged with your personal concerns.
(1) I have no children. Moot point. I would, as a Human Development specialist, raise a child to be an independent and critical thinker, much as I did with adolescents who were in my charge during 3 years of middle school.
(2) IF I had a child, I would decidedly NOT have that child in a parochial school of any sort. My position would not yield regarding a scientific education. I would insist on it or home-school my child in hard science. I would guide their moral development, but I would not employ fear and guilt AS IF [s]he were offending God for being naughty.
(3) Individual members of any given religion do not necessarily have an intelligent understanding of their faith. As the Hindu sage Mohandas [Mahatma] Gandhi once said: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

I cannot say without it sounding prejudicial that all religions are oriented to the singular transcendental truth. But they are not. Some nature religions do not aim so high. For example, Stewart Ferrar who wrote the book What Witches Do stated in the book that Witchcraft is a "lowbrow path." It does not have transcendence of one's human identity as a goal, was his meaning. Identifying with the existential realities of birth-life-death in a cyclic fashion (Mircea Eliade's 'Myth of the Eternal Return' for example) is what is joyfully accepted among certain nature religions, even though there may be a symbolization of deity or deities as God and Goddess. The path does not guide one to enter into communion or union with deity, or to experience oneself as pure consciousness [spirit] while in the body. Most Christians do not seem to grok that Christianity speaks of Eternal Life, not personal immortality, despite the parables/metaphors which speak to the issue. The 'lower brow' the Christian believer, the more 'Concrete Operational' their thought, the more literal their understanding. :shrug:


--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any Carl Jung book recommendations for the average reader? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #22746931 -

Now I get what upset you,
glad you're feeling better.

If I had to go with a religion
the Huichol or Bwiti  variety would probably be most interesting to me.

But my grown daughter is into her Mom's religious tradition,
and that's ok for her, and her family, it's part of how they all relate.

Strangely I seem to have preferred the pain of long hours of Zazen,
in my youth to boring sermons, and mumbo jumbo in Latin. But the Zen fascination with fancy and immaculate robes, didn't seem a path I could get into. Maybe that was repressed homophobia? Or maybe I'm a lazy slob?
Then again few stick with the rigorous Rinzai program, whatever rational they think they have, and Buddhist retreats make it possible to come and go as one pleases.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* wtf!? what happned to my book recommendations post? Vulture 614 5 06/17/03 03:23 PM
by chodamunky
* ATTN people interested in synchronicity: book recommendation Jenny 827 5 05/24/04 03:59 PM
by Jenny
* Pattern Recognition and Book Recommendation... ergot 881 4 07/09/04 06:15 AM
by redgreenvines
* book of the dead jahfeelirie 2,741 12 04/23/04 07:59 PM
by faelr
* favorite book.....
( 1 2 all )
toad857 3,298 33 07/12/04 09:38 PM
by nunciate
* Books to be Explored World Spirit 2,815 19 10/30/03 03:19 PM
by mr_minds_eye
* book suggestions? kristina420 805 11 06/24/03 05:01 PM
by Boppity604
* carl jung personality test spud 1,084 5 11/24/02 09:31 PM
by Murex

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
2,392 topic views. 1 members, 2 guests and 25 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 15 queries.