Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #22704003 -

In all honesty a lot of your butcher folk consider ground chuck to be bunk meat because it exposes so much surface area to air and that's where your trouble starts.  So she's pretty on point there, at least from my understanding..

Not too many people chuck a filet in the cupboard for a week and then cook it up..you know?

Are you talking about palatability?  Like, texture, flavor?  Kind of like the life still left in it?


--------------------

Edited by Amanita86 (12/27/15 03:57 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Amanita86]
    #22704020 -

Not debating that a lot of it lives on the surface. She said all of it though. That is simply not true. On fresh meat then yes, the most common ones do stick towards to the surface. There are still illnesses you can catch that searing does not kill though.

It's also worth noting that the USDA guidelines say the minimum safe temperatures of beef, pork, veal and lamb (chops, steaks and roasts) are all the same. 145 degrees. That is medium rare.


--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #22704025 -

I'll take steak bloody..with ranch dressing to dip it in, how ghetto is that?    can't do it with pork man or birds..  I guess we're circling back to preference..


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #22704033 -

Shroomslip said:
100% incorrect. Want to put your money illness on the line to prove that assertion? Throw a steak into a cabinet for a week, cook it, then eat it.

Spoilage for example (only even in part for that matter) come from the group you just said only exists on the outside of the meat. Once something has spoiled pretty well, you can't just cut off the top layers and have it good as new. As I said above, safe food handling procedures play the biggest role in food poisoning. Unless you are literally slaughtering and butchering your own animals, you have no idea at all if those procedures were actually followed. It doesn't matter if "you know what the fuck you're doing".

Your next response is probably going to either be "I can easily recognize spoiled meat" or "I would never eat cooked spoiled meat". Spoilage isn't always overly apparent. You can also go to someones house for a dinner and end up eating it.

Unless you are 100% in control of the process from getting a live cow to a steak on your table, yes even beef CAN make you sick.

For the second post: No, I eat seafood all the time. I'm not allergic to it. I'm really only wary of fish in particular. I'll eat tons of shrimp or crawfish with little concern. The texture of most the fish we can afford to eat, always has a certain raw feeling. There's a... (I really hate when I can't think of the word used to describe something.. Whatever the word is for either really liking or disliking the feeling of chewing/swallowing a food) to it that just instantly makes me paranoid and feel it's undercooked and I'm going to "die" from eating it, even when I know it's been cooked right.



Of course beef can make you sick, fucking anything can make you sick.

But it is absolutely true, that bacteria usually only exists on the outer part of the meat. Hence why you can eat steaks medium rare or even rare like people do all the freaking time.

You're talking about spoiled meat, which is completely different from what I'm talking about.

In fact, I even eat raw beef carpaccio and tartare all the time, and one of the techniques used to make the meat safe for consumption is to wash the meat thoroughly with water, and then freeze the filet mignon so you can cut it into thin strips.

As far as the fish, not all fish is sashimi-grade. I can actually tell which pieces of fish at the market are sashimi-grade, and which aren't. It all depends on how shiny and glistening the fish flesh looks. I can even tell which ones were previously frozen, based on how watery they are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #22704035 -

Shroomslip said:
It's also worth noting that the USDA guidelines say the minimum safe temperatures of beef, pork, veal and lamb (chops, steaks and roasts) are all the same. 145 degrees. That is medium rare.



Bro, you don't know what you're talking about. I used to work as a cook. 140 degrees is the USDA guidelines for keeping things "safe," but when you leave pork or beef in any kind of temperature for more than 3 or 4 hours, it practically nukes it and overcooks it and the meat becomes dry. That's why you have to change those temperature heating boxes out every few hours.

Trust me, I've eaten beef that was still rare and juicy in the middle, then put that same beef in the 140 degree temperature box and after 2 hours, the meat turns out rubbery and dry and practically edible

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Amanita86]
    #22704039 -

Amanita86 said:
I havent had horse sashimi either, but there's some guys up the road that serve up slices of that blood red tuna.. its not bad.  It goes down pretty easy.  Im not familiar with horse, I imagine it to be a kind of a, chicken/beef cross... like a heavy turkey/chicken with a little red influence to it?

Ive not seen too many horses divided up so I can't really picture it..



Horse is extremely fatty and heavy, it kind of is similar in texture to Kobe beef which is like 50% marbled fat. Extremely heavy, like with foie gras, you can only eat a couple bites of it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Crystal G]
    #22704054 -

Hey, Id try it..  you never know right?..  there's not to many things I won't take a taste of...

I've seen people eat tarantulas..I might hesitate on that.. catch me on the right night, Id give it a go..  Im pretty "open door" now days...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Crystal G]
    #22704073 -

If what I'm talking about is completely different than what you're talking about then you are at fault, not me. Do I need to repeat it again? Unless you were in possession of that meat from breathing cow to food on your plate, you have no idea if standard safe practices were followed. You also just repeated literally exactly what I said.

You just now- "Of course it can make you sick, anything can make you sick."
One page back-
Shroomslip said:
Quote:
Crystal G said:

Don't get me wrong, I've been to some high-end restaurants that serve pork medium-rare even. But it is most definitely possible to undercook pork and get sick from it. The one time I undercooked my bacon I ended up vomiting and shitting diarrhea for 3 days. Couldn't eat bacon for YEARS after that too, just had a terrible queasy feeling like I had to throw up every time I smelled it even.



Yes you can get sick from it, you can also get sick from eating under cooked beef. You can get sick from eating it when it's cooked to shit. You can get sick just by using the same cutting board (washed or not) that you cut up meat on with your veggies. Food borne illness is just an inherent risk of eating food at all.



What causes spoilage? Bacteria among others. Can you cut the top layer off a piece of spoiled meat and have it be safe to eat just because you sear the fuck out of it afterwards? No, because that bacteria has moved from just the surface. Does spoilage literally happen in the blink of an eye? No, it's a process. That means at some point it's not going to just be readily apparent it's unsafe/risky to eat but will have colonized down deeper than just the surface.

This is entirely ignoring the fact that there are beef carried food borne illnesses that don't live on the surface. Pretty rare, but you can't declare something absolutely safe because of that.

I would highly suggest you do some research before telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. Working in a restaurant doesn't mean shit. So have I. More than one actually.

Why does the lack of chain of custody matter? For one, mechanized tenderization can push bacteria from the surface INTO the meat. You also have no way of verifying that meat never reached unsafe temps that could have set off an explosion of bacteria through the meat.

Do your research. Every thread you end up posting in about food, you get proven wrong by someone.


--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #22704128 -

If by pork you mean Bacon the best meat ever yes,or ham ,ham steak. Pork chops I kind of do.


--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa, Jellyfish
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Seriously_trippin]
    #22704141 -

pigs are actually very clean animals. Not to say cat standards. but cleaners than most animals.


--------------------
You know, just sometimes in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that 400th glass of cornershop piss at 3am--you do sometimes look at yourself and think--this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
-Bernard Black


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: kakashi68]
    #22704154 -

Um..


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #22704360 -

Shroomslip said:
If what I'm talking about is completely different than what you're talking about then you are at fault, not me. Do I need to repeat it again? Unless you were in possession of that meat from breathing cow to food on your plate, you have no idea if standard safe practices were followed. You also just repeated literally exactly what I said.

You just now- "Of course it can make you sick, anything can make you sick."
One page back-



Yes, literally anything can make you sick. Drinking water that is old CAN theoretically make you sick. Most of us have strong enough immune systems to kill off most bacteria that is found in old water though. Unless we're talking well water or water from lakes or streams.

Quote:
What causes spoilage? Bacteria among others. Can you cut the top layer off a piece of spoiled meat and have it be safe to eat just because you sear the fuck out of it afterwards? No, because that bacteria has moved from just the surface. Does spoilage literally happen in the blink of an eye? No, it's a process. That means at some point it's not going to just be readily apparent it's unsafe/risky to eat but will have colonized down deeper than just the surface.

This is entirely ignoring the fact that there are beef carried food borne illnesses that don't live on the surface. Pretty rare, but you can't declare something absolutely safe because of that.

I would highly suggest you do some research before telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. Working in a restaurant doesn't mean shit. So have I. More than one actually.

Why does the lack of chain of custody matter? For one, mechanized tenderization can push bacteria from the surface INTO the meat. You also have no way of verifying that meat never reached unsafe temps that could have set off an explosion of bacteria through the meat.



Bro. You're talking about SPOILED MEAT. As in, rotten meat that fucking nobody should be eating because it's full of neurotoxins and stinks and probably tastes like rotting garbage and shit.

Bacteria such as salmonella or E. coli reside on the surface of meats.

The primary risk that you have when consuming raw meats and fish is toxoplasmosis. But bear in mind, that close to 40% of the American population already has toxoplasmosis. In Japan, around 70-80% of the population has toxoplasmosis, because they are introduced to sushi at such a young age.

Once you have the parasite, your immune system basically keeps it in check, so it remains dormant inside you forever, and it's really not a concern after that. You can't "catch it again" or get sick from it again or anything once you have it.

I'm pretty certain I already have toxoplasmosis and have been living with it since I was a child, since I was exposed to raw meats and fish as a child growing up.

The only people who need to worry about eating this shit are people with compromised immune systems such as children, pregnant women, the elderly, or people with HIV or some shit. For normal adults, it is GENERALLY going to be safe as long as you use the proper preparation and safety techniques.

You have to understand that the concept of having to cook your beef is a very American idea. Many countries such as France, Italy, Japan, Korea, etc. are accustomed to eating beef raw, in fact they have been doing it for centuries.

You're grasping at straws here. You know what else can make you sick? Uncooked vegetables. Except like 99.999999% of people who eat raw vegetables usually don't.

In fact, the only part of beef that is dangerous to eat raw is the liver, because the bacteria can reside all throughout the organ and not just the surface: http://ajw.asahi.com/article/views/editorial/AJ201202020029

I've still eaten raw beef liver though, but only at really good Japanese restaurants that I would trust.

Quote:
Do your research. Every thread you end up posting in about food, you get proven wrong by someone.



And what topics have anybody corrected me on in food threads? I recall no such thing. I'm a foodie. Everything I do is related to either sex or food. That's what I do.

Edited by Crystal G (12/27/15 09:15 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Amanita86]
    #22704368 -

Amanita86 said:
Hey, Id try it..  you never know right?..  there's not to many things I won't take a taste of...

I've seen people eat tarantulas..I might hesitate on that.. catch me on the right night, Id give it a go..  Im pretty "open door" now days...



I would actually eat tarantulas. For some reason I imagine them to taste crispy, or kind of like fried crawfish or something.

I mean if you think about it, lobsters are basically the cockroaches of the ocean.

Also Shroomism, crawfish have that "dirty" taste because you haven't purged them. You're supposed to soak them in water for like 6 hours so that they get that nasty dirty taste out of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Shiithead]
    #22704369 -

Pork is good in moderation. Especially pastured ones that were loved by their owners. Delicious.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Crystal G]
    #22704551 -

Wow crystal you sure know your meats.


--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Crystal G]
    #22704755 -

Crystal G said:
Amanita86 said:
I ate raw hot dogs when I was a kid...  really dont knock the oven.. the juices from the skillet encrust the meat when all the water vapes off it..  I bet you, if I ever made you one of my "world famous pork chop, cube steak bakes"... you might not walk away upset, or hungry :wink:

I like my kitchen man.  I get a kick out of that shit..:thumbup:



Hot dogs are already pre-cooked though. I guarantee you if you ate a raw hot dog, things would not turn out well for you. In fact, that's how one of my friends from the 7th grade got food poisoning.



I've eaten lots of raw hot dogs (i.e. not recooked)  They're essentially bologna
Quote:
Shroomslip said:
Only two times I've caught food poisoning in my life, were both from seafood. (One from fish and the other crab cakes). I (understandably) now refuse to ever eat raw seafood, in fact I'm paranoid as fuck about it even when it's cooked.



You know, it may be possible that you have some type of allergy to seafood. My ex was like that. We would both eat the same meal every night since we lived together, but whenever we both ate clams, he would get violently ill and have the same symptoms as food poisoning. Meanwhile, I'd have the exact same meal, and absolutely nothing would ever happen to me. I have an iron stomach.

Because fish really, is perfectly safe to eat raw or rare, it all depends on how it's been handled.



My daughter is allergic to mollusks.  I gave her scallops when she was little and she exploded.

In re raw beef.  Ever have steak tartare?  Raw steak and raw egg yolk.

I don't think the bacteria is the issue with undercooked pork.  Trichinosis is and it has been virtually eliminated.

You can also get parasites from raw fish.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #22704775 -

zappaisgod said:
I've eaten lots of raw hot dogs (i.e. not recooked)  They're essentially bologna



No, you're thinking of hot dogs that are already cooked, like this:



As opposed to this, which is completely raw, which would make you sick if you ate it:





Shroomslip said:
In re raw beef.  Ever have steak tartare?  Raw steak and raw egg yolk.



Of course I've had steak tartare. IMO the best steak tartare is the Korea yukhoe. It is better than French tartare. For me it's yukhoe tartare, then Italian carpaccio, and then steak tartare are the best, in that order.

Quote:
You can also get parasites from raw fish.



Again, not very common nowadays. Practically all sushi, even top-scale sushi restaurants, receive their fish frozen when it arrives. Just think about it; bluefin tuna and the scallops and sea urchin they source from Santa Barbara and Hokkaido and shit need to be transported across the ocean and across many borders. Of course it is going to arrive frozen. What is unacceptable is when sushi restaurants re-freeze their fish.

Edited by Crystal G (12/27/15 01:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Shiithead]
    #22704783 -

Pork Chops are the shit, so is bacon, and so is ham.
Fuck that anti pork noise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: ChinChiller]
    #22704809 -

I've got a big ol batch of BBQ pulled pork going on in the crock pot right now.  Hella excited to eat it in like 4 hours.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Eat Pork? [Re: Crystal G] * 1
    #22704821 -

Crystal G said:
zappaisgod said:
I've eaten lots of raw hot dogs (i.e. not recooked)  They're essentially bologna



No, you're thinking of hot dogs that are already cooked, like this:



As opposed to this, which is completely raw, which would make you sick if you ate it:





Those aren't hot dogs in the bottom pic though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Undercooked pork!
( 1 2 all )
underfliptown 2,015 20 05/28/12 07:47 PM
by spoonbomb
* whacha eating tonight?
( 1 2 all )
Lightningfractal 3,000 36 01/22/05 11:59 PM
by Dark_Star
* Pork Roll
( 1 2 all )
Boom 1,674 21 11/10/06 02:54 PM
by array
* Eating human flesh
( 1 2 all )
flowstone 3,459 34 01/29/05 06:43 PM
by Adamist
* Pork Soda?
( 1 2 all )
MrBump 2,840 22 11/24/03 06:54 AM
by OldSpice
* ethics of eating meat.......(continued from here more pix)
( 1 2 3 all )
calishroomer 9,364 47 02/04/03 05:17 AM
by GagePLoungin
* eating healthy is so confusing NiGGy 2,515 14 10/22/18 10:38 AM
by SunnyD
* I don't think I'm going to eat much meat anymore
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 5,257 33 05/28/04 12:34 PM
by Barbi

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
5,859 topic views. 3 members, 187 guests and 95 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.