Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Misuse of the phrase "African-American" [Re: Kttail]
    #2259493 - 01/21/04 01:11 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

and yet you have blacks calling other black nigga as if its cool, yet get offended if addressed by someone else... :nut:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: Misuse of the phrase "African-American" [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2259965 - 01/21/04 03:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

They claim that "nigga and nigger" are quite different. Some views I have heard is they are empowering themselves by taking the word and using it. I really wish somebody would come up with a cooler sounding slur for whites, I'm sick of saying "what is up my honkey?"....Hmm "wassup WASP?" kinda has a nice ring to it.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2260238 - 01/21/04 05:27 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Kttail said:
From the American Heritage Dictionary....
"nigger - vulgar- A Negro or member of any dark skinned people. An offensive term used derogatorily."

and a term I don't allow in my house, even from my wife.

Search "e-bay" for the phrase "nigger" and see how many products that were manufactured that display black people in a positive, non-stereotypical role that use the phrase "nigger" in them. One that I recall is "little nigger bank" that is a hand-scuplted piece of ceramic or pottery from the early-mid 1800's. It wasn't designed to be offensive or racist in any way, it was just the "word of the times".

Do you let your wife say "motherfucker"? Isn't that more offensive than "nigger"? I don't understand this huge mental block that we have against ever utering that word. The earth won't open up and swallow you if you do, I'm quite sure .: )

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Misuse of the phrase "African-American" [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2260438 - 01/21/04 06:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Search "e-bay" for the phrase "nigger" and see how many products that were manufactured that display black people in a positive, non-stereotypical role that use the phrase "nigger" in them. One that I recall is "little nigger bank" that is a hand-scuplted piece of ceramic or pottery from the early-mid 1800's. It wasn't designed to be offensive or racist in any way, it was just the "word of the times".

I'd be very interested to hear you elaborate on how exactly these 'nigger' products depict black people in a 'positive, non-stereotypical role', especially given the time they were made.

Taken from an interview (about his film Bamboozled) with Spike Lee:

Quote:

The end credits roll beside shots of racist toys and other artifacts that figured so prominently throughout the film. Among them is a chilling figurine called 'Gator-Bait', which depicts a large alligator and an African infant in its jaws. A noted collector, I ask Spike whether all the items in the movie were from his own collection.

"Not all of them, but I had a couple of things from before. When I started writing the script and during production I enhanced my collection. You have to be careful with this stuff, a lot of it is fake," Spike trails off. He pushes around the chocolate bars and candy, picking up little jars and setting them back down.

"But it's a booming industry and a lot of African-Americans are starting to collect these artifacts. They're called black collectibles. And for Bamboozled, when I was writing the script, I had an Aunt Jemima cookie jar on my left, and on my right was my Jolly Nigger Bank." The Bank is a porcelain figure of a black person that shoves coins into its wide-smiling mouth. Delacroix is haunted by the figure when, at the height of his guilt, the Jolly Nigger Bank begins to move on its own, jerking its hand to its mouth without the benefit of a coin.

Spike finally gives up and puts the basket of candies and jam down but he's already made his point. He was looking for the syrup.

"I felt that it's important that we acknowledge this stuff, study it," he says slowly, defending his collection in all its apparent morbidity. "Those sick minds?that's the way they thought of us as people. It's a reminder. You can still go to a supermarket and buy Aunt Jemima pancake box and Uncle Ben's rice too, you know?"

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Misuse of the phrase "African-American" [Re: Edame]
    #2260462 - 01/21/04 06:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:, i can see why black ppl would want to collect those pieces...

...and subsequently smash them out of existance.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleKttail
DragonDreamer
Male

Loc: S. Oregon Coast , USA
    #2262202 - 01/22/04 09:20 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I stand corrected.......almost. :laugh:
I see your point with it being used as a term of the times. However, when my wife uses either one it is used with a derogatory tone of voice and is not meant any other way.
On the other hand, some of the old crowd that my dad rode with would call each other "muthafucka" and it wasn't meant to be anything other than another way of saying "dude"!
I suppose what is confusing is when things become a double standard. Alright by some, but not by others. :tongue:

--------------------
"Do not meddle,
In the affairs of Dragons.
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2263476 - 01/22/04 07:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Kttail said:
I see your point with it being used as a term of the times. However, when my wife uses either one it is used with a derogatory tone of voice and is not meant any other way.

So you "Allow" her to use it if shes being derogatory, but not otherwise? I don't know what you mean. 
Quote:

On the other hand, some of the old crowd that my dad rode with would call each other "muthafucka" and it wasn't meant to be anything other than another way of saying "dude"!

Nigger isn't much other than another way of saying "African American". Like your example, it's not something you'd do in public or to a stranger, but in some settings, it can and has been used without derogatory connotation.
Quote:

I suppose what is confusing is when things become a double standard. Alright by some, but not by others. :tongue:

The key is to not be lead by others, then.  If you feel that the resonance from the word "nigger" is so hurtful to your psyche or consciousness, you have every right to ask that it not be used in your house or around you.  If, however, this word causes you such great discomfort and words like "cocksucker" "motherfucker" "cunt", etc, do not, I would recommend examining the thinking that has made this word so poisonous to your mind.

InvisibleKttail
DragonDreamer
Male

Loc: S. Oregon Coast , USA
    #2265138 - 01/23/04 09:59 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Very well said. :laugh:
However, you have missinterpretated what I said.
No terminology is approved of around me that is used in a derogatory manner. It bothers myself personally less than it does that my children may pick up on it and believe to be ok.
We live in a rural area of Oregon were there are few minorities other than migrant workers. I am from S. Cal. and have considered making the career move to one of the coastal communities down there.
I can just imagine my children, in their innocence, thinking it's funny to repeat things they may have heard their mother and her family say.
As to allowing someone to speak their mind? Are you married? The most I can do is to state my view on the matter and hope that I am respected in it.

--------------------
"Do not meddle,
In the affairs of Dragons.
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Misuse of the phrase "African-American" [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2265244 - 01/23/04 11:15 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

>While, if white people stay out of the sun, we DO indeed turn white.

We rather turn PINKISH , not white.
When we die, THEN we turn whiter.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

General Interest >> Political Discussion