Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

Misuse of science
    #2354877 - 02/19/04 03:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

This one is interesting (but not surprising):

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_environment/rsi/rsirelease.html

"Washington, D.C.?Today, more than 60 leading scientists?including Nobel laureates, leading medical experts, former federal agency directors and university chairs and presidents?issued a statement calling for regulatory and legislative action to restore scientific integrity to federal policymaking. According to the scientists, the Bush administration has, among other abuses, suppressed and distorted scientific analysis from federal agencies, and taken actions that have undermined the quality of scientific advisory panels."

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Misuse of science [Re: muhurgle]
    #2355276 - 02/19/04 04:57 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

According to the scientists, the Bush administration has, among other abuses, suppressed and distorted scientific analysis from federal agencies, and taken actions that have undermined the quality of scientific advisory panels."

That single sentence tells much.

Had they written that politicians in general do that, they'd have made a better case.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Misuse of science [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2355285 - 02/19/04 05:01 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Are you saying the Bush administration hasn't done this?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Misuse of science [Re: Xlea321]
    #2355306 - 02/19/04 05:08 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Still having trouble with the written word? That's a shame, yet fairly obvious.

But no Alpo, I said no such thing. Or do you somehow think that "politicians in general" somehow magically excludes Bush?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2355326 - 02/19/04 05:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Then the statement is perfectly accurate and you have no point whatsoever.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Misuse of science [Re: Xlea321]
    #2355339 - 02/19/04 05:16 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

As a man blinded by hate, I'm sure you think so.

--------------------

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2355433 - 02/19/04 05:34 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The report talks about specific instances of supressing and distorting scientific findings by the Bush administration.

The UCS appearantly criticized the Clinton administration for similar shortcomings, but from the summary of the report:

"There is significant evidence that the scope and scale of the manipulation, supression, and misrepresentation of science by the Bush administration is unprecedented."

It isn't criticism of the political decisions of the administration, but of the science those decisions were based upon. Amongst the scientifically respected signees are several conservative scientists, so this is no leftie conspiracy.

Considering what passes for science in the Bush cabinet (creationism) it's no wonder that both left and right leaning scientists come together in support of this report.

--------------------

Aldous Huxley

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2355513 - 02/19/04 05:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

issued a statement calling for regulatory and legislative action to restore scientific integrity to federal policymaking.

Sounds like more than one administration to me.

--------------------

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2355554 - 02/19/04 05:53 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If you read the report or the summary, you would see that it's about issues handled by the current administration.

--------------------

Aldous Huxley

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2355583 - 02/19/04 06:01 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I did read it. When a report blames or uses one administration as an example without pointing out that what was done is quite common, then as far as I'm concerned, it's crap.

--------------------

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2355603 - 02/19/04 06:05 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

So what you're saying is you prefer generalizations to specifics?

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2355612 - 02/19/04 06:08 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Recap:

"There is significant evidence that the scope and scale of the manipulation, supression, and misrepresentation of science by the Bush administration is unprecedented."

The Bush administration is not 'an example'. They are criticizing specific instances. And as I stated earlier, they have done this before with both democratic and republic administrations, but never before have they had such broad backing.

--------------------

Aldous Huxley

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Misuse of science [Re: trendal]
    #2355613 - 02/19/04 06:08 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Holy crap! Can no-one read today? Or is today assumption day?

--------------------

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#2355631 - 02/19/04 06:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I asked you a question, that's all.

You said that you think any report which only specifies one administration "is crap". Why do you think this?

I ask because to write a report and then say "oh, and this happens all the time anyway" takes weight away from the findings on the specified administration. It makes their transgressions not "as bad" in light of what has happened before. It makes people less likely to ask for change.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out specifics. In fact that's the way scientists do things. Welcome to Science :wink:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2355665 - 02/19/04 06:19 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Right. And a report on now many people ran red lights in March and March alone is worth what? Nothing without context.

The same goes for the report featured in this thread. Without context it is crap.

--------------------

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#2355695 - 02/19/04 06:25 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

And a report on now many people ran red lights in March and March alone is worth what?

Quite a bit, actually. It lets them know how many people ran red lights in the month of March :wink:

However that is an entirely different type of report than this report. This report isn't saying "this many people have used bad science in this administration"....it's saying "this administration has used bad science".

Since there are already reports about previous administrations, there is no need to rehash old news. Just because this is the first report you have seen doesn't make it the first report of its kind.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2355703 - 02/19/04 06:27 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

More assumptions? How disappointing.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2355764 - 02/19/04 06:39 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

the Bush administration has a history of distorting/exaggerating evidence to suit their needs.

nobody should be surprised by this.

Invisibletimetravel
I'm going toMars!

Loc: Holland
    #2355871 - 02/19/04 07:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

"When scientific knowledge has been found to be in conflict with its political goals, the administration has often manipulated the process through which science enters into its decisions.
This has been done by placing people who are professionally unqualified or who have clear conflicts of interest in official posts and on scientific advisory committees; by disbanding existing advisory committees; by censoring and suppressing reports by the government's own scientists; and by simply not seeking independent scientific advice."

Above is part of the letter. The letter was signed by 60 senior US scientists, including 20 Nobel prize winners, such as the physicists Steven Weinberg and James Cronin and the biologists Eric Kandel and Harold Varmus.
I'm not surprised either. Sounds like they are implying fraud.

--------------------
Everything in this post happened 7 years ago. If you do not feel good get a hobby like r/c airplane flying.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2357293 - 02/20/04 01:57 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

"Numerous complaints from the scientific community about the administration's scientific policy-making prompted the The Union of Concerned Scientists to begin investigating the issue last summer. As an example, the group noted the panel that advises the Centers for Disease Control on lead poisoning had been prepared to recommend strengthening regulations due to new findings on lead toxicity, but had their recommendation rejected by the administration and two panel members replaced by individuals with ties to the lead industry."

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/19/1717201&mode=thread

The study makes clear that the Bush administration's ideological abuses of scientific research far exceed anything that has occurred in the living memory of the scientists.

Your contention that the study is crap is unsubstantiated by facts, and is itself therefore crap. Please demonstrate to us that you know better than the scientists. Come up with proof that other administrations have interfered and tampered with scientific research to the same extent, or even close. PROOF. FACTS. Either of those words mean anything to you?

I'm eagerly awaiting your next utterly fact-free stream of self-indulgent idiocy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Scales

General Interest >> Political Discussion