Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Amanita or no??
    #2185400 -

Can someone tell me if these are Aminita, just curious. I found them out in the woods this morning on a walk in N Florida growing mostly out of Pine needles, found one HUGE one!!!!!!



--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2185417 -

those are indeed Amanitas. they are Amanita muscaria, the Fly Agaric.

they are verry beautiful mushrooms with an interesting history throughout the world.

in the future, if you want an id on a member of the genus Amanita, or any of a large number of other genera for that matter, you will need to make detailed observations of the base of the stipe [dug out from the ground carefuly to ensure the entirety of it remains intact], noting every distinguishable feature, as these are key features in many cases, and with genera such as Amanita, most id's can not be done even tentatively/provisionaly without them.


--------------------



Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: canid]
    #2185451 -

Thank you sir for the quick reply, I have bever seen these before in my parts, didn't even know they grew here  :crazy: I found loads of them today, this is the monster!!!!!



9 inches across the cap!!


--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2185501 -

yes, they are very widely distributed, they just seem to be much more common the further either north or west you go, especialy in the caostal pacific northwest, as it offers the best of both of these, allong with heavy annual rainfall and consistently high humidity.

your specimens are beautiful.

if you would like to be extra safe wich you always should if you have consumption in mind, and even just to be all the more confident that you can make a proper identification], you should confirm that the basal bulbs of the stipes had multiple [often broken] ring like structures and that some specimens [the younger ones in particular] at least had a membranous annular ring.

the annular ring in combination with either a cup like structure, a bulb, or similar structure at the base of th stipe and white spores are key features of the genus Amanita.

the bright red [sometimes faded, and in varients like A. muscaria var formosa yellow] caps [usualy but not always retaining neumerous fragmented pieces of the universal veil - white pstches] and basal bulb [having several ring like structures ridging it] are key features of Amanita muscaria. there are several varieties of A. muscaria. you would do well to familiarize yourself with these, as well as the deadly species of Amanita.


--------------------



Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: canid]
    #2185640 -

Thank you for the wealth of information, it is much appreciated. I do not plan on consuming these, however, I am going to do further research about them, I am going to go back out right now to the patches I found earlier and get some pics of them growing in the wild, I will post them in a few minutes. Thank you again for all the info  :smile:


--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: canid]
    #2185781 -

Here they are in their element, I think these pictures show the characteristics on the stipe that you were explaining earlier.

A lone soldier


Family Photo


A little guy on the way!


--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2185797 -

ooh, those are nice pics :smile:

DH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2185808 -

Outstanding photos!

That "family" photo is one of the best Amanita muscaria photos ever.

The characteristic on the stipe is clearly visible. Note that the volva forms several rings at the top of the basal bulb.

Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2185844 -

Thank you all so much for your kind words and the education. Today has been a good day  :sun:


--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2185890 -

those are great photos of the amanitas in their natural environment, I didnt know they grow in florida, Over here in California I see tons of those "Family" style amanitas but I never get to take pictures because most of the ones I see are on the side of the 101 freeway and pulling over there except for an emergency is a no-no...

keep up the hunting :smile:


--------------------
-=* dUMb \/\/00kIe *=-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2185947 -

Blu? What State?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: wookie]
    #2185959 -

Thank you, I had no idea they grew here either  :crazy: Although odd, I do believe they called me to them, I told my wife this past weekend that I felt an urge to go spend some time in the woods, but then things came up and I never went. Last night one of my dogs went missing and one of my other dogs was very sick, we were up most of the night worried because we thought she had gotten into some mole cricket poison in the neighbors yard and she had gone off to die in the woods. I could not go to work this morning thinking she was out there somewhere, I needed to find her  :sad: I hiked for 3 hours this morning and covered a lot of ground but didn't find her, yet I did find these beautiful mushrooms as if they were there waiting on me as if they thought I would never come  :mushroom2: ......and shortly thereafter upon my return home.....a friend called and told me my dog was in his backyard playing with his puppy  :laugh: It has truly turned out a beautiful day  :sun:


--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: em_bre_O]
    #2185962 -

Florida


--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2186058 -

I was out in the woods today, kinda wet woods, well i found this translucent purple mushroom, it was crazy. I tried to bring it home to scan and get an id on it, as it is one i have never seen before, but i got tangled in vines and lost it, as i wasn't prepared to mushroom hunt, only explore.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2186059 -

Hey BluMonkey,

Amanita muscaria are known to grow from Pensacola to Jacksonville Florida. And i haven't heard of them ever being found in Gainesville or south of that. Ive never found them in Manatee or Sarasota counties. Ive never found them period actually.

Damn, absolutely sweet finds, i had a preminition of someone in north Florida finding them and posting pictures of them here. Man, it makes me want to take a trip north to seek them out.

Keep shroomin,
GG

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2186068 -

The "Family Photo" is seriously gorgeous. :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2186084 -

Thanks man, glad I could fulfill your preminition :tongue2: :heartpump:


--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2186103 -

CHEERS !!!


--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2186253 -

Nice pics!


--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita or no?? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2186747 -

I may start keeping a closer look out for them here in Georgia, now. I'd love to find some beautiful Muscarias like that.


--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* This year's last amanitas (pics) koraks 913 2 11/27/03 05:26 PM
by koraks
* Amanitas (pics) MAIA 1,299 5 11/14/03 08:12 AM
by MAIA
* Panaeolus and Amanita PICS Gumby 3,587 18 07/07/05 01:46 AM
by Gumby
* HELP please. first find amanita *pics* Chuck_wagon 1,589 7 06/19/02 05:39 AM
by crazyman
* AMANITAS plus strange blue/green shrooms (PICS) zither 1,975 5 10/26/03 09:15 AM
by Xenophobic
* Most recent finds (pics) koraks 3,082 14 09/29/03 04:50 AM
by koraks
* Re: A walk in the woods (Pics) Anonymous 1,742 9 04/11/01 06:21 PM
by Anonymous
* Pics of today's find oO_wombat_Oo 2,420 16 04/15/03 10:41 AM
by mjshroomer

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
4,975 topic views. 1 members, 33 guests and 29 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.