Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

pasture Shroom ID needed...stumps me
    #2178679 - 12/15/03 02:44 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hey...a friend came over my house with a shroom that he found in a florida cow pasture. I think I have stumbled on a few like this but smaller. He said this was the only shroom in the whole field besides a few pans which is not surprising cause of the cold weather. It was very low to the ground (2 inch fat stem) and as you can see from the pics, the cap kinda curves down at a few edges...but not a wavy feature like cyans. The shroom is very meaty and that golden stuff at the top doesnt peel off like skin as it would in the chlorophyllum molyblite (lepiota)....its part of the shroom as in a cube. Also, the gills are not whitish or green but they are rather a dark almost maroonish color. I do not see any bluing though and it does not look like your typical Cubie.

.....The cap is also really crackled....

The meaty shroom's cap would be pretty big if it didnt bend down like it does at that one half...I can't give a proper ID but it was growin out of manure....ANy guesses? Im makin a spore print right now.
Thanks, Orizon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: pasture Shroom ID needed...stumps me [Re: orizon]
    #2178857 - 12/15/03 04:33 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It is an agaricus or a stropharia mushroom due to the larger meaty size of the cap. Or it could be a dead cube with a short stem.
mj

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2179098 - 12/15/03 09:13 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I would guess Agaricus.

Does it have a distinctive odor?

Cut it in half vertically, then scrape the inside with your knife edge to bruise it (not gently). Let us know about color changes, which can take up to an hour.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2179234 - 12/15/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i've never seen an Agaricus with coloration like that, but there's no mistaking that it looks like one. you say the gills are maroon, did you take a print? i'm thinking they are chocolate brown, with tinges of pink retained from the imature gill color. if you haven't printed it, this would be a great step toward confirming the genus.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2179324 - 12/15/03 11:11 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It looks like a big glob of, nothing of interest.

Stropharia or something else, nothing of interest.

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: pasture Shroom ID needed...stumps me [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2179484 - 12/15/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ok...the priont didnt come out well at all...its ben sittin there for almost 12 hours and it appears to be dark ---blackish grey....The gills are very compact by the way whcih may be the reason why little spores are being dropped. The shroom has bruised a very distinct pink around the edges and the napkin that was places over the shroom absorbed liquid from the cap of the shroom which is also pink. It smells like a regualar fungi.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2179501 - 12/15/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i get a forbidden error when i try to view the full sized pictures.

some things i could stand to know:

is there an annulus or annular ring present?
what is the gill attatchment?
what exactly was it growing from [dung, the ground, other...]?
was the cap viscid to any degree when picked from the field?

i will have some questions to follow.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: pasture Shroom ID needed...stumps me [Re: canid]
    #2179656 - 12/15/03 01:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i am going with stropharia as the genus aswell now, but the only good keys i hgave are for the Pac. Northwest, where there are no brightly colored Agaricus species i know of, so i do not know if there are elsewhere.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck