Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVrat303
Stranger

Loc: colorado
cake dunking question...
    #2144258 - 11/29/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

After my first flush on my first cake I decided to dunk it since I heard this will help the next flush a lot. I used a Dunk Tek I found through this forum and was wondering a few things. Mainly, how important is the temperature of the water you dunk in. The water was cold when I first dunked the cake but by the time I took it out (after a little over 24 hours) the water was easily room temperature. Will this be a problem? Also, about how long after dunking should I see new pinheads?

Thank you!
Vrat

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshaftinmp
Master ofDisguise

Loc: Dark of the Sun
Re: cake dunking question... [Re: Vrat303]
    #2144291 - 11/29/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

well the reason why you want the water cold is to cold shock the cakes. this will make pinning occur much faster. since you ddnt cold shock, it will probably take 5-8 days.

OfflineVrat303
Stranger

Re: cake dunking question... [Re: shaftinmp]
    #2144313 - 11/29/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ok, thank you! Next time I'll keep it in the fridge...

Thanks again!
Vrat

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cake dunking question... [Re: Vrat303]
    #2144320 - 11/29/03 12:41 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The temp thing is fine no problem there. Dunking doesn't speed things up, it rehydrates the cake so that you get a bigger flush.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineshaftinmp
Master ofDisguise

Re: cake dunking question... [Re: Magash]
    #2144340 - 11/29/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

what is the point of rolling?

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2144346 - 11/29/03 12:50 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The moist verm gives the mushroom a place to draw added moisture. Ever seen how shrooms grow from the bottom of the cake and the top when it?s double end cased. Well adding the verm does this.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlineshaftinmp
Master ofDisguise

#2144392 - 11/29/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yeah I had a post yesterday regarding why all of my pins were coming from the bottom. I really hope my flushes get bigger, because they are tiny right now without the roll.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2144413 - 11/29/03 01:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It should help out.

--------------------

OfflineTime_Shard
Stranger
    #2144664 - 11/29/03 02:50 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Do you really think rolling is that important? I did one batch of 8 cakes recently (on their 2nd dunk at the moment). All cakes have been dunked in R/O filtered water and put in the fridge for close to 16 hours at a time. I used nothing but Dawn antibacterial soap to clean the containers that I dunked the cakes in. I have been rolling 4 cakes and not rolling the other 4 cakes. Both sets of cakes have done very well; so far they have given up almost 50g dry total. The only real difference that I can see with rolling is the added hassle of cleaning off more vermiculite from the fruits.

The pinning with dunking is outrageous and with no verm on the cake is extremely easy to scrape all of the mushroom matter off of the cake. I have not kept track of the exact amounts of mushrooms that each set of cakes has produced. But just from looking at them I see no overwhelming difference in mushroom output. I do notice that the cakes that I roll seem to take more time to produce, as the mycelium spread across the new vermiculite layer. While the unrolled cakes pin almost immediately, so far it seems to take less than 2 days.

I plan on continuing to roll half the cakes and not roll the other half on this batch. Perhaps as they get more and more flushes under their belts one method may prove better in the long run.

And if there are any questions regarding potency: I ground up all 50 or so grams made caps off them. A buddy and I took 3 grams each. I never tripped on shrooms so hard in my life. The closed eye visuals were like watching TV. We sat and listened to Sasha, Digweed , Zabiela , and Satoshi Tomei for 5 hours straight. Frigging unreal.

This is only my 3rd try at growing and the syringe used for these was a little on the old side. Getting close to two years ago I purchased several syringes from PF. This was the last one and it was labeled IND. I?m assuming that stands for Indian?

InvisibleGonzoCool

Loc: Flag
Re: cake dunking question... [Re: Time_Shard]
    #2144687 - 11/29/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I quote Magash "The moist verm gives the mushroom a place to draw added moisture. "

--------------------

OfflineTime_Shard
Stranger
Re: cake dunking question... [Re: GonzoCool]
    #2144703 - 11/29/03 03:05 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yes I read that. I also have not had any trouble with shrooms growing just from the bottom of the cakes. Nor did I notice any size difference in shrooms growing on rolled cakes vs. non-rolled cakes.

So does your answer mean that it is a good idea to roll if you don?t have a good setup for humidity?

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2144839 - 11/29/03 04:21 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well I guess you know better, sorry.

I only have a couple hundred cakes to your 8

This method has been tested over and over again by many people.

--------------------

OfflineTime_Shard
Stranger
    #2144929 - 11/29/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ok..sorry...just a question. I was not trying to get snippy. I was just looking for more than a quote from a post that I already read. I'm not trying to step on anyone?s toes. I realize that lots of people test ideas on here all the time. And I see people question ideas all the time too. I was not trying to suggest that the idea of rolling a cake was not needed either. It was genuinely just a question as to how much better it is with or without rolling. Call me lazy but I hate picking out all the verm from the fruits. Peace bud, we are all here to learn right? :thumbup:     

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2144986 - 11/29/03 05:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah true your right. It?s always good to do your own tests and find out yourself so I guess it was me who was snippy sorry about that. Man I got to say your fucken right on the money about picking the damn verm off those shrooms though. I swear I?ve been pissed enough to cut the damn bottoms off.

And what the hell do I do. I take the lazy way out and just cased with verm this last time I did the rye and what happen. I?m fucken picking off verm right now.

--------------------

OfflineTime_Shard
Stranger
    #2145094 - 11/29/03 06:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hehe. I had considered trying to case this time. But figured I'd play it safe till I proved that I could make a syringe or two work. And even with just dunking I have way more than I know what to do with. I guess I got some people on my Christmas list covered.  :tongue: 

OfflineVrat303
Stranger

#2147995 - 11/30/03 09:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

UPDATE!

nice looking pins showing up on the dunked cake, they started to appear yesterday. about 3-4 days after i finished dunking..

woohoo!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures