Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Question about pinning and mycellium on surface
    #2125696 - 11/20/03 05:41 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hello,

Please have a look at this picture and notice that all the pins are growing on parts of the casing where mycellium is showing (sorry for the size, 120k but nice quality) :

I read so many times that a well done casing shouldn't show a lot of myc. Based on this, this casing is showing probably too much but it still produces. In fact, all succesful casings I was able to see looked like that.

I'm concerned about the fact that no pins are growing in the areas where the mycellium didn't poke threw. Why does some experienced growers always say that a good casing shouldn't have mycelium colonization on surface?!?!?!

There's also another casing in that same terrarium that was made at the same time with this one and for some reason, the mycellium growth is less aggressive and almost no mycellium at all is showing. Needless to say there's no pins at all yet and i'm quite sure this one will be hard to fruit.

By the way, the casing in the pic was made with 2 quarts of colonized popcorn cased with 60/40 coco coir-verm. The strain is Golden Teacher.

Thanks.

.fs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Question about pinning and mycellium on surface [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2125803 - 11/20/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

if you look at that casing, there's sort of three different levels of mycelial penetration of the surface. there are areas that are very white and there are areas where it isn't coming up at all. then there are areas that are sortof in between, and that's where the mushrooms are growing.

the idea is to birth when you can just see the mycelium coming up. the surface of a casing layer is not perfectly smooth. it's got little valleys and holes... nooks and crannies in it... you want to birth when you can see it starting to come up, but you don't want to let it come all the way up to the surface. imagine it's like a mountainous landscape... you wanna see mycelium in the valleys... but if it's covering the tops of the hills and mountains, that's too much.

on that casing, some areas are undercolonized, some are overcolonized, and some are just right.

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Question about pinning and mycellium on surface [Re: ]
    #2126050 - 11/20/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

but don't be too hard on yourself, it looks great. It takes practice to get even pinsets. It also helps if you work with a cloned fruit.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Re: Question about pinning and mycellium on surface [Re: thisone]
    #2130439 - 11/23/03 11:59 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks thisone.  I think the whole even pinset thing is only useful when it's time to harvest : you don't have to split your harvest in two sessions.  An even pinset is also a sign that you're slowly becoming an experienced grower :laugh:

That's the same casing today, 3 days later :

Nice one! :

.fs. 

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about pinning and mycellium on surface [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2130471 - 11/23/03 12:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

That last pic was nice. I lightned it up a bit so we can see some more detail. Hope you don't mind.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Re: Question about pinning and mycellium on surface [Re: Magash]
    #2130482 - 11/23/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hehe, no prob.  It sure gives a better perspective on the gils, but cap textures of the one top left  are now drowning in light :laugh:

thanks magash.

.fs.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale