Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21290503 -

I believe shroomism is correct in his observations. You can tell a lot about a people by visiting even for a short while if you are observant. Some things are much the same in Europe, they don't like American attitudes if its the typical ugly American, 'your stuff is no good ours is better' attitude. They respect people who learn the local languages in Europe too. I would expect it to be that way anywhere.

Japan is nice, too bad its so expensive and is fucked up by fukushima.


--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: JesusIsLord]
    #21290771 -

JesusIsLord said:
Right, so you've been everywhere in the states then? All 350 million people are disrespectful? But your one time visit to Japan proved that they were better mannered and more respectful than all Americans. Got it.

:ohyou:



I don't think he means that Americans are disrespectful… just that the Japanese are respectful in a different way. For example, it is considered proper manner to not even use cellphones or listen to headphones while you are riding the subway, in case it might bother the person next to you. Stuff like that, etc.

The theft rate is also very low by comparison, so when you visit graves you would find piles of money that relatives left behind for their dead ancestors… can't do that here, that money would for sure have been taken by somebody.

Socially, Japan is far more conservative than Europe or America. There hasn't even been a nationwide feminist movement in Japan or any of Asia. Japan is also extremely anti-immigration, etc.

They have a great healthcare system, however. I recall when I was living there, a doctor's visit without insurance cost only $30-$35. With insurance, it was about $5.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: kakashi68]
    #21290841 -

kakashi68 said:
americans are hilarious. They think everything is evil SOCIALISM OOOOO OMG THE SOCIALISTS ARE COMING TO GET US AND TAKING OVER THE WORLD. The amount of times ive seen americans cry about something progressive and then labelling it "socialism" because there scared it, is ridiculous.

Japanese law is really strange and full of contradictions. eg gambling technically illegal but everyone play pachinko for cash in shady but legal side shops that everyone knows about, prostitution is the same to a lesser extent. but then they also have a 99% conviction rate with a terrible, horrible, human rights breaking prison system. Then theres porn, no genitals, but you can make cartoons with god knows what. But you also have a culture and society that is very advanced and progressive. I dont think you could really label japan. Its just doesnt fit with western politics.



i have noticed this too. I don't normally like to talk about politics, but damn. Americans are really stupid when it comes to politics. Our government gets shut down because a politic doesn't like our president. When politics>citizen safety, you know your country is totally fucked.

Every extreme right winger I have talked to I can't even communicate to. They are delusional to a degree. They seriously do believe progressive movements are communist/socialist and therefore are evil. I do not understand.


--------------------
   
:mushroom2::mushroom2: The greatest story ever told is the story that never ends!:mushroom2::mushroom2:

wubba lubba dub dubstep :gimmebass:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: JesusIsLord]
    #21290860 -

JesusIsLord said:
Yeah I'd venture to say socialist/liberal pretty hard.


I mean, firearms are completely illegal in Japan, I'm pretty sure.



You have to take a psychological test, and I believe a physical test that proves you can use it, and you have to have it checked every such and such amount of time (I forget how long)> Finally there's only a limited amount of gun permits they allow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Crystal G]
    #21290869 -

Crystal G said:
Socially, Japan is far more conservative than Europe or America. There hasn't even been a nationwide feminist movement in Japan or any of Asia. Japan is also extremely anti-immigration, etc.



Japan is really weird about vaginas. They'll arrest you for obscenity for displaying a depiction of a vagina, but they have entire festivals dedicated to the penis. Much of Asia is like this really though.

oh & haven't seen you on in a while Crystal. Was wondering where you were

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Shroomism]
    #21290913 -

Shroomism said:
They are deeply suspicious of non-Japanese though. They are VERY racist against the Chinese.. they don't seem to have as much of a problem with Koreans.



Japanese/Chinese/Koreans are always competing with each other to say they were the first at something. For example all 3 countries will tell you they were the first to hold traditional tea ceremonies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: D.M.T]
    #21290916 -

she went on her honeymoon im guessin


--------------------


And I will bring you out from the people, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with a stretched out arm, and with fury poured out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Crystal G]
    #21290934 -

Crystal G said:
JesusIsLord said:
Right, so you've been everywhere in the states then? All 350 million people are disrespectful? But your one time visit to Japan proved that they were better mannered and more respectful than all Americans. Got it.

:ohyou:



I don't think he means that Americans are disrespectful… just that the Japanese are respectful in a different way. For example, it is considered proper manner to not even use cellphones or listen to headphones while you are riding the subway, in case it might bother the person next to you. Stuff like that, etc.

The theft rate is also very low by comparison, so when you visit graves you would find piles of money that relatives left behind for their dead ancestors… can't do that here, that money would for sure have been taken by somebody.

Socially, Japan is far more conservative than Europe or America. There hasn't even been a nationwide feminist movement in Japan or any of Asia. Japan is also extremely anti-immigration, etc.

They have a great healthcare system, however. I recall when I was living there, a doctor's visit without insurance cost only $30-$35. With insurance, it was about $5.



I can see what you're sayin there. I mean, I live in the great plains of the US, and I've lived on the west coast - and people out here in the heartland, by and large, are some of the nicest people I've ever met. I've also traveled to Europe, and met plenty o nice folks there too. I guess the bottom line for me is I try not to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch


--------------------


And I will bring you out from the people, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with a stretched out arm, and with fury poured out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: JesusIsLord]
    #21291066 -

JesusIsLord said:
I can see what you're sayin there. I mean, I live in the great plains of the US, and I've lived on the west coast - and people out here in the heartland, by and large, are some of the nicest people I've ever met. I've also traveled to Europe, and met plenty o nice folks there too. I guess the bottom line for me is I try not to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch



Oh yeah, Southern hospitality is like no other. A lot of countries have great hospitality (India, Iran, Korea, Japan, Italy, Greece, etc.) and I would say that American Southern hospitality is just about as good as any of them.

Japan really does take respect to a whole different level though. Like, they even have a completely different vocabulary system that they use when you are supposed to be referencing somebody out of respect. It's very culturally ingrained to have a system of respect in social situations.

While Southern hospitality is great, I will say that American customer service is really quite crappy in comparison. For example, it's not uncommon to walk into a gas station, drugstore, or convenience store, and the person at the front desk acts annoyed, saying "Waddya want" while rolling their eyes at you.

That type of customer service would be unheard of in Japan. Japan really takes customer service to a whole new level, and I think a lot of it goes back to historical/cultural times. If you watch old samurai videos, study feudalism and royalty in Japan, hell if you even watch how tea ceremonies or sushi-making or flower-arrangement ceremonies take place, you will realize where Japan's customer service expectations and standard comes from.

Again, a lot of their culture is based on a culture of authoritarianism (which is correlated to conservatism), which is why they have such systems of respect in place.

But, the Japanese might do things that would be considered rude in American culture. For example, in Tokyo, people will constantly bump into you on the street without apologizing or excusing themselves. But this is because Tokyo Japanese have no sense of privacy or personal space, because there are so many millions of people walking the streets each day, that you would have to apologize every half-second every time you bumped into somebody.

Americans are respectful in a different way. For example, chivalry, or holding the door open for somebody, is a type of respect you wouldn't see in Japan.

Japanese people are a lot more respectful when it comes to being quiet, or to neighbors. For example, I had an aunt who was living in an apartment, who would never take a shower or do laundry after 10PM, because it would create too much noise and disturb the neighbors. That is a type of respect and consideration that Japanese people have.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Crystal G]
    #21291079 -

I was in Florida the othe rday - could not help but think these people are rude as hell compared to Ohio. Not that they're mean they just do this thing where they pretend they didn't see you. Completely unheard of in Ohio. Just one more reason Ohio is the best state in the world. I LOLD

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: D.M.T]
    #21291092 -

D.M.T said:
Japanese/Chinese/Koreans are always competing with each other to say they were the first at something. For example all 3 countries will tell you they were the first to hold traditional tea ceremonies.



:lol: So completely true.
I have a Chinese friend who insists that Chinese were the first to hold traditional tea ceremonies and that Japan copied everything from them.
Meanwhile my Japanese gf says the same thing in reverse, that China stole it from them :lol:
I'd be more inclined to think China was the first though.. simply because their history goes back so far.
China does copy a lot of stuff from Japan though. As does Korea when it comes to technology. But fuck.. they all probably borrow ideas from each other.

Japan excels at excellence though. Everything they make is top notch pretty much. Chinese are not exactly known for their top quality products.

Crystal G said:
Japan really takes customer service to a whole new level,



Agreed 100%. I was blown away by the customer service everywhere. Even at gas stations or 'fast food' they treat you with tons of respect. It took me off guard at first, I wasn't use to such a high level of service everywhere I went.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Shroomism]
    #21291191 -

Shroomism said:
D.M.T said:
Japanese/Chinese/Koreans are always competing with each other to say they were the first at something. For example all 3 countries will tell you they were the first to hold traditional tea ceremonies.



:lol: So completely true.
I have a Chinese friend who insists that Chinese were the first to hold traditional tea ceremonies and that Japan copied everything from them.
Meanwhile my Japanese gf says the same thing in reverse, that China stole it from them :lol:
I'd be more inclined to think China was the first though.. simply because their history goes back so far.
China does copy a lot of stuff from Japan though. As does Korea when it comes to technology. But fuck.. they all probably borrow ideas from each other.




I learned this beign addicted to the tea hobby. I went to some black tea farms in Yunnan and then to a green tea farm somewhere either north of Tokyo I believe east of it as well some matcha houses in Sasebo, and the gongfu ceremony in China was similar to the matcha if Jahpan bvut they both told such contrastind stories.... There qwer ea lot of other things If I thought about it but the tea ceremony si the main one that comes to mind that they both really want to say it's theirs and the racist Chinese/Japanese copied.

Next on my tea hobby list is to visit some formosa tea farms in Taiwan. Still I have not done this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: D.M.T]
    #21291197 -

oh I really loved Sasebo but it's not at all culturaly what you think of when you think of jAoan. i guess it's old fashioned Japana

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Shroomism]
    #21291339 -

Crystal G said:
Japan really takes customer service to a whole new level,



Yea shinkansen cleaners take more pride and respect in their jobs than most degree qualified people anywhere.


--------------------
You know, just sometimes in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that 400th glass of cornershop piss at 3am--you do sometimes look at yourself and think--this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
-Bernard Black


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: D.M.T]
    #21291374 -

Japan is socially conservative but politically liberal AFAIK. Universal healthcare, lots of regulations (even if they get ignored like work place stuff), environmental focused.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: JesusIsLord]
    #21291433 -

Heavily biased towards
JesusIsLord said:
Shroomism said:
Japanese culture is very weird coming from American viewpoint.
They are extremely conservative on the outside, but then when work is over, they party like no one's business.
That said, a lot of the younger Japanese do embrace a lot of liberal type of thinking. But as a culture on the whole they are pretty conservative.

Basically, work very very hard, party very very hard. They are the ultimate of efficiency.
They take extreme pride in everything they do down to the smallest details. They take fashion and everything to extremes.
That's partly why you see the weirdest fucking shit on Japanese TV shows and Japanese porn and such. When they let loose.. they REALLY let loose.
Many people work long hours, they get off work at 7 or 8 at night.. then they go out to dinner with friends or family and eat and drink, drink, drink, drink, until 2am... go home and do it all over again.
Drinking is a BIG part of the culture. You drink with every meal pretty much, at least after noon, it's almost expected.
Dinners are multiple hour affairs with lots of drinking and socializing. People don't just go eat dinner and leave like they do in America. 

They are not overly religious, most Japanese follow some form of Buddhism or Shinto-ism.


I love Japan. I've only been there once, but it's an amazing place. The customer service everywhere is completely amazing. The food is out of this world. The people are very respectful. It's a complete 180 from America.

The only thing stopping me from moving there in a heartbeat is that weed is very illegal and very hard to find. That may sound stupid as fuck to some people, but I love my ganja.




Right, so you've been everywhere in the states then? All 350 million people are disrespectful? But your one time visit to Japan proved that they were better mannered and more respectful than all Americans. Got it.

:ohyou:



QFT, Friend of mine lived his whole youth in Japan and weed is so rare... Usually he went to Yakuza dens where they had several synthetic cannabinoids sprayed on organic matter.
I wish I could visit...
NANDA YOOOOOO :crymeariver:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: D.M.T]
    #21291436 -

D.M.T said:
I learned this beign addicted to the tea hobby. I went to some black tea farms in Yunnan and then to a green tea farm somewhere either north of Tokyo I believe east of it as well some matcha houses in Sasebo, and the gongfu ceremony in China was similar to the matcha if Jahpan bvut they both told such contrastind stories.... There qwer ea lot of other things If I thought about it but the tea ceremony si the main one that comes to mind that they both really want to say it's theirs and the racist Chinese/Japanese copied.

Next on my tea hobby list is to visit some formosa tea farms in Taiwan. Still I have not done this.



Makes sense that things such as noodles and tea started in China first. I mean come on, all Asians pretty much originated from China once upon a time...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Shroomism]
    #21291443 -

Shroomism said:
Agreed 100%. I was blown away by the customer service everywhere. Even at gas stations or 'fast food' they treat you with tons of respect. It took me off guard at first, I wasn't use to such a high level of service everywhere I went.



I have a family friend who visited Japan 20 years ago, who to this day still swears up and down that the Royal Hotel in Tokyo is the best hotel in the world.

The reason? Apparently he left his jacket in the hotel room the day he flew back to the states. This hotel apparently had his jacket dry-cleaned, folded his jacket up neatly in a box, and shipped it internationally back to his USA home address completely free of charge.

That's Japanese customer service for you. That jacket would have been long gone or stolen by somebody here.

Shit, I've had Christmas presents stolen at the Hilton Hotel, probably by maids or other staff working there. That story would never happen in America.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Crystal G]
    #21291904 -

Getting off the plane in Japan... I was picking up my luggage.. almost walked out the airport.. then I realized that I didn't have my phone..
I was freaking the fuck out... didn't know what to do.. was just standing there for like 10 minutes with my dick in my hand. It was a BRAND NEW samsung S5 that I had got like a week before.
3-4 stewardess came running down waving the phone around asking in Japanese who's phone is this??
I said it was my mine and they handed it to me along with 100 yen saying that was for all the trouble. I was like WUT..
In America my phone probably just would have been stolen... I dropped it in the middle of the aisle apparently. Or if they found it I highly doubt a stewardess would have come running off the plane to come find the owner.. 

Also when in Tokyo, we stayed at one of the fanciest hotels in Shibuya, (Cerulean Tower).. we had gotten a good deal online, but one of the cheapest rooms..
We asked for a smoking room and they said they didn't have any normal ones but could upgrade us to a high end luxury suite but it would be extra ~5,000 yen per night... (~$500 USD)
We looked at each other for a minute and just said no.. fuck that... then they just gave it to us for free.
We were gonna be staying on like the 4th floor.. and ended up almost at the penthouse..2 floors from the top. had a special keycard to take the special elevators that access the higher floors.
Probably because my chick was Japanese.. doubt they would have done that if it was just me.. but still, goddamn.
That would also never happen in America. I mean, I've gotten free upgrades before, but NOTHING like that.
The room also came with complimentary booze and a free room service breakfast every morning.

Had a pretty legit view of Tokyo too



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: D.M.T]
    #21291953 -

D.M.T said:
Shroomism said:
D.M.T said:
Japanese/Chinese/Koreans are always competing with each other to say they were the first at something. For example all 3 countries will tell you they were the first to hold traditional tea ceremonies.



:lol: So completely true.
I have a Chinese friend who insists that Chinese were the first to hold traditional tea ceremonies and that Japan copied everything from them.
Meanwhile my Japanese gf says the same thing in reverse, that China stole it from them :lol:
I'd be more inclined to think China was the first though.. simply because their history goes back so far.
China does copy a lot of stuff from Japan though. As does Korea when it comes to technology. But fuck.. they all probably borrow ideas from each other.




I learned this beign addicted to the tea hobby. I went to some black tea farms in Yunnan and then to a green tea farm somewhere either north of Tokyo I believe east of it as well some matcha houses in Sasebo, and the gongfu ceremony in China was similar to the matcha if Jahpan bvut they both told such contrastind stories.... There qwer ea lot of other things If I thought about it but the tea ceremony si the main one that comes to mind that they both really want to say it's theirs and the racist Chinese/Japanese copied.

Next on my tea hobby list is to visit some formosa tea farms in Taiwan. Still I have not done this.



Nice, I want to work there. Working around plants... Idk, it's an odd feeling.

I only like later harvests though, the taste of early tea leaves is so vile :s

I think they're cool because they pour out alcoholic beverages to one another before pouring out for themselves. :thumbup:

Edited by Beanhead (02/18/15 03:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Disaster at sea: global warming hits UK birds ekomstop 2,081 18 08/02/04 11:52 AM
by MyInsanityTrip
* Adventures in the South
( 1 2 all )
ShroomismM 3,647 33 10/11/04 08:14 AM
by Shroomism
* shroomerites from Japan ? KOPELANDIAA 952 2 04/26/03 10:56 PM
by bert
* Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time
( 1 2 all )
ThorA 5,047 23 11/02/04 02:49 PM
by kadakuda
* Have you become more liberal or conservative?
( 1 2 all )
mantis 4,226 24 04/29/05 03:10 PM
by Rono
* Conservative christian right wing Republican straight white American males... Hooty 1,048 2 02/02/05 12:43 AM
by blissedout
* Going to Japan!!!
( 1 2 3 all )
nicechrisman 4,709 47 08/09/04 08:07 PM
by nicechrisman
* I'm in Japan!
( 1 2 all )
nicechrisman 2,416 25 08/27/04 04:50 PM
by Phishgrrl

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,520 topic views. 1 members, 6 guests and 178 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.