Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time
    #3306350 - 11/01/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Liberals unveil pot bill for second time

Last Updated Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:32:16 EST
OTTAWA - Paul Martin's Liberals reintroduced a controversial bill Monday that would decriminalize marijuana possession and replace criminal charges with fines for anyone caught with up to 15 grams of the drug.

The new possession bill comes with the same old warning from Justice Minister Irwin Cotler: This doesn't mean marijuana will be legalized in Canada.

"Marijuana use is and remains illegal," he said. "What we have done here is alter penalty frameworks."

FROM MAY 27, 2003: New pot bill introduced in House

If the bill passes, adults who are caught with less than 15 grams of marijuana could be fined up to $400, but would not be left with a criminal record.

Cotler said the new possession bill will help police forces focus on more serious offences like marijuana growing operations and trafficking, as well as links between the marijuana trade and organized crime.

The bill doubles the length of prison sentences for marijuana growers, and introduces four new offences dealing with growing operations.

Also on Monday, the government reintroduced a bill on drug-impaired driving, designed to placate its critics on the opposition benches by giving police more tools to crack down on people who drive while they're stoned.

During the last parliament, the marijuana possession bill was one of the most hotly contested pieces of legislation.

All the opposition parties eventually supported the bill after months of work at the committee level, but the legislation died without being passed when Martin called an election for June 28.

Now the Liberals have to convince opposition MPs to support the measure again, but in a minority government situation.

NDP House Leader Libby Davies said her party thinks the new bill opens the door to too much enforcement for simple possession.

She said the NDP will seek several more changes at the committee level, including "some provision for amnesty for the approximately 600,000 Canadians who have a criminal record for simple possession of marijuana."

Written by CBC News Online staff

One small step for mankind!  :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: Thor]
    #3306366 - 11/01/04 07:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

O Canabis! :heart::stash::heart:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #3306405 - 11/01/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

huzzah! thanks thor.

fifteen grams eh? I usually buy at least an ounce for personal.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflinePlok
Life is fractal
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3306439 - 11/01/04 07:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It seems like everyone in Canada is always saying how liberal their marijuana laws are compared to the US... but at least here in California the worst you can get for posession under an ounce is a $350 fine.

--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: Plok]
    #3306452 - 11/01/04 07:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's not so much our laws that are liberalized, as the country's view as a whole. Over 3/4 of the Canadian population agrees with decriminalization. About half that are for outright legalization. 10 million Canadians have admitted to using marijuana at least once in their lifetime. That's 1/3 of the country's population!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlineelectioneering
vegan

Loc: vancouver, bc
    #3306468 - 11/01/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

it should be noted that the recent bill does little to change the situation of cannabis. it is much of the same, especially here in vancouver. in fact, i am somewhat worried that it may influence the RCMP to crack down a little more in some "trouble areas." fines are like speeding tickets, and we all know how much the RCMP likes distributing those.
however, it is a good first step towards total legalization, but there is still so much work to do. thankfully though, this bill may save us from the embarrassment and serious problems associated with having a criminal record.
it should be hoped that the liberals do not try to end the issue at this. i hope we can see recreational use of the plant legalized here in canada in the next 3 years.

--------------------
i am a musician

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: electioneering]
    #3306482 - 11/01/04 07:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm moving out near vancouver next summer. I hope it's everything I hear it is :wink:

--------------------

Offlineelectioneering
vegan

Loc: vancouver, bc
Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: Plok]
    #3306502 - 11/01/04 07:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Plok said:
It seems like everyone in Canada is always saying how liberal their marijuana laws are compared to the US... but at least here in California the worst you can get for possession under an ounce is a $350 fine.

i question how long that will last. during the next four years (if a certain terrible event happens) you could look forward to the states losing a lot of their individual rights. then you will see a lot of terrible things happening in your neighbourhood.

Quote:

trendal said:
I'm moving out near vancouver next summer. I hope it's everything I hear it is :wink:

oh, it is.

--------------------
i am a musician

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: electioneering]
    #3306772 - 11/01/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

so.. having a small personal grow setup is still a no no? can i just show up at the border with a uhaul and say im here for refugee status, gimmi the pot! lol. BC looks like a beautiful city, especially with all those trees!!
peace 00

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#3306779 - 11/01/04 08:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

What about this part?

"The bill doubles the length of prison sentences for marijuana growers, and introduces four new offences dealing with growing operations."

This is really no good at all. I mean yeah, you can have weed without getting a criminal record. But what about the people who have to grow it? You can't smoke it if people aren't growing it.

I guess decriminalization is a good call, but I think the added penalties to growers will probably cause an increase in price at least.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: freddurgan]
    #3306832 - 11/01/04 09:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

An increase in price would probably stimulate a huge increase in anti-prihibition. Something like 3 million Canadians smoke marijuana each year...that's a lot of angry customers :grin:

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: trendal]
    #3306963 - 11/01/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Like someone else pointed out...

The bill doubles the length of prison sentences for marijuana growers, and introduces four new offences dealing with growing operations.

There were hardly any arrests for simple posession anyways. The only arrests were growers and dealers. It seems like the bill is designed to look progressive, without actually having to be progressive.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: Phluck]
    #3307172 - 11/01/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

this is pure politics at work :smile:

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: Phluck]
    #3307369 - 11/01/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, the bill is actually bad.

Really fucked up when a huge portion of the population wants something, but the government just wont do it. It's even more pathetic that it's called a democracy.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #3307393 - 11/01/04 11:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ive been to victoria B.C., it was very beautiful there, and i liked the rhythm, although it was quite expensive there. I would like to go back up there and see vancouver... :wink: :laugh:

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: Zero7a1]
    #3307437 - 11/01/04 11:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

its been decrimed here for a little while now. 

welcome to the left coast trendal...your gonna LOVE it here.  but vancouver is fuckign EXPENSIVE place to live (housing).  the only thing i hate about it is teh incredible amount of needle dick ass holes that live there.  once you get there you'll know what i mean.

y azero its pretty cool here in victoria.  its not like other cities here at all.  hard to say what it is, but i love it (for a city).  best part about bc, 15 mins outside any downtown and your in the hills enjoying intense nature (or clearcut).  the left coast is nice!  sorry for off topicing :smile:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: kadakuda]
    #3308093 - 11/02/04 06:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Burnaby is where I've been looking, specifically. The houses for rent that I found online in the classifieds didn't seem any more expensive than most student housing around here. (ie: I used to pay $350/month including utils)

I'm incredibly psyched to get out there, it's something I'be been planning with friends for years :smile:

--------------------

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3308145 - 11/02/04 07:36 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Decriminalization is a good step, but as everyone is pointing out longer terms and harsher sentences for the growers/distributers is no good. This could cause higher prices, less growers, more drug trade across the border, etc.

The fact that if you are caught with under 15 grams you only get fined is a MAJOR step in the right direction, no criminal record is very important. This way your charges can't continuously get worse, they can just slap you with another $400 fine and call it done next time too.

For me, if I get caught with marijuana or a glass piece etc I'm off to jail for 2 years with a $2500 fine because I got arrested with my bong earlier this year. Talk about bullshit (there wasn't even a bowl piece in it). I live in the US though.

You Canadian brothers of ours, you're lucky to live there. Don't ever let the arrogance and ignorance of America make it look like it's better over here, as we're still a LONG LONG way off from legalization of anything. I'm surprised we can by tylenol and cough syrup over the counter without a doctors prescription.

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: Silven]
    #3308181 - 11/02/04 07:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think anyone is thinking of this as THE victory...just a victory :wink:

I'm VERY interested in seeing the outcome of the legalization initiative in Alaska. If marijuana were actually legalized somewhere in the US it would give a HUGE kick in the ass to our struggle here!

--------------------

OfflineTherapy
Question Mark

Loc: Ontario
    #3308236 - 11/02/04 08:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The keywords regarding the decrim bill is if anyone gets caught...
You get caught, whooppee shit. Think of it as a speeding ticket.
I'd take a speeding ticket over a criminal record any day.

The main focus of the bill is to not over penalize Canadians for simple possession as well as to combat the increasing number of grow-ops.

Despite the focus on grow-ops, it's a step in the right direction to get rid of the criminal element as most grow-ops are being run by gangs like the Hell's Angels. Get rid of the criminal element, and there's a nice vacuum left to companies to make some profit. Replace one criminal element with another :P

Some things to keep in mind.

The bill stalled last time it was introduced.

This time around, it's a minority government. Meaning the ruling Liberal party will have to make ammendments to the bill to appease the opposition parties in order to get them to support and eventually pass the bill.

Some ammendments being suggested by other parties include amnesty for 600,000 Canadians who have a criminal record because they were caught for simple possession.

Another ammendment suggested included loosening a $500 fine for growing 3 plants or less. Anything more than that and you face up to 5 years in prison.

Another point being brought up is the cop's ability to administer drug tests to people being pulled over while driving stoned.

It seems the bill's main opposition comes from the fact that if it would pass, the states would be pissed and would retaliate with economic consequences.

The bill itself is a step in the right direction. Hopefully the the parties can agree and pass this biatch through.

--------------------
The Haves have not a fucking clue!
-Vedder, PJ

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: Therapy]
    #3308281 - 11/02/04 08:31 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well the NDP will most likely side with the Liberals on any legislation like this (decrim/legalization) as they have already stated publicly that they are for LEGALIZATION, not just decrim. I think the Libs and NDP have enough seats between them to force an issue through.

--------------------

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3308297 - 11/02/04 08:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If marijuana were legalized in Canada it would give us in the US a strong foothold for legalization as well :wink:

Lets all just keep eyes on Russia, as they're the driving force right now with their recent legislation that allows people to have 10x an individual dose of basically anything you want, and only get fined for it.  :thumbup: for Russia.

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineTherapy
Question Mark

Loc: Ontario
    #3308306 - 11/02/04 08:40 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The bill will pass as the bloc are also supporting it.

Right now it's just a matter of what ammendments will be made.

--------------------
The Haves have not a fucking clue!
-Vedder, PJ

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time [Re: Therapy]
    #3309712 - 11/02/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

WHAT?!?!?!?! th bloc supports legalization/decrim?? i thought that it would be them and teh conservatives that would put a top to total legalization. if bloc is on board its inevidable.

everyone knows layton smokes teh reefer...look at him.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals