Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition
    #21289483 -

I am curious about perception, using the typical right-left spectrum. Most Americans would say Western Europe is to the left, or socially liberal/progressive of the United States for its generous welfare state, social norms and lack of religiosity among other things.

But what about these two East Asian countries? Do you perceive them as more conservative compared to the United States? Japan and Korea seem to have a workaholic, capitalist culture compared to the more socialized states of Europe, so it resembles the US in this regard. On the other hand, Japan or Korea (the latter is somewhat religious) also doesn't really have as much of a strong religiously conservative element.

All in all, when considered, what would you say?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #21289502 -

Conservative. If you get sick in those places your family takes care of you. They don't need same social safety net.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #21289524 -

In some ways yes, in some ways no. For example, Japan is still very much affected by it's ancient feudal roots, yet in other ways they are one of the most modern nations in the world. It would be hard  to judge an Asian nation by the standards of the western world.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: my3rdeye]
    #21289551 -

my3rdeye said:
Conservative. If you get sick in those places your family takes care of you. They don't need same social safety net.



Nope
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_system_in_Japan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_in_South_Korea

In the future I would suggest that you get a fact before you express an opinion.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Le_Canard]
    #21289554 -

Le_Canard said:
In some ways yes, in some ways no. For example, Japan is still very much affected by it's ancient feudal roots, yet in other ways they are one of the most modern nations in the world. It would be hard  to judge an Asian nation by the standards of the western world.



This.  They're weird.  Both of them.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21289557 -

Yeah I'd venture to say socialist/liberal pretty hard.


I mean, firearms are completely illegal in Japan, I'm pretty sure.


--------------------


And I will bring you out from the people, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with a stretched out arm, and with fury poured out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #21289560 -

Japanese culture is very weird coming from American viewpoint.
They are extremely conservative on the outside, but then when work is over, they party like no one's business.
That said, a lot of the younger Japanese do embrace a lot of liberal type of thinking. But as a culture on the whole they are pretty conservative.

Basically, work very very hard, party very very hard. They are the ultimate of efficiency.
They take extreme pride in everything they do down to the smallest details. They take fashion and everything to extremes.
That's partly why you see the weirdest fucking shit on Japanese TV shows and Japanese porn and such. When they let loose.. they REALLY let loose.
Many people work long hours, they get off work at 7 or 8 at night.. then they go out to dinner with friends or family and eat and drink, drink, drink, drink, until 2am... go home and do it all over again.
Drinking is a BIG part of the culture. You drink with every meal pretty much, at least after noon, it's almost expected.
Dinners are multiple hour affairs with lots of drinking and socializing. People don't just go eat dinner and leave like they do in America. 

They are not overly religious, most Japanese follow some form of Buddhism or Shinto-ism.

The cities are so spotlessly clean it's ridiculous. I've never seen such clean major cities.

I love Japan. I've only been there once, but it's an amazing place. The customer service everywhere is completely amazing. The food is out of this world. The people are very respectful. It's a complete 180 from America.

The only thing stopping me from moving there in a heartbeat is that weed is very illegal and very hard to find. That may sound stupid as fuck to some people, but I love my ganja.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21289563 -

zappaisgod said:
Le_Canard said:
In some ways yes, in some ways no. For example, Japan is still very much affected by it's ancient feudal roots, yet in other ways they are one of the most modern nations in the world. It would be hard  to judge an Asian nation by the standards of the western world.



This.  They're weird.  Both of them.



Heh. I have to agree with you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: JesusIsLord]
    #21289567 -

I bet you're right but why don't you just look it up and post a link with information and be completely sure instead of pretty sure?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Shroomism]
    #21289600 -

Shroomism said:
Japanese culture is very weird coming from American viewpoint.
They are extremely conservative on the outside, but then when work is over, they party like no one's business.
That said, a lot of the younger Japanese do embrace a lot of liberal type of thinking. But as a culture on the whole they are pretty conservative.

Basically, work very very hard, party very very hard. They are the ultimate of efficiency.
They take extreme pride in everything they do down to the smallest details. They take fashion and everything to extremes.
That's partly why you see the weirdest fucking shit on Japanese TV shows and Japanese porn and such. When they let loose.. they REALLY let loose.
Many people work long hours, they get off work at 7 or 8 at night.. then they go out to dinner with friends or family and eat and drink, drink, drink, drink, until 2am... go home and do it all over again.
Drinking is a BIG part of the culture. You drink with every meal pretty much, at least after noon, it's almost expected.
Dinners are multiple hour affairs with lots of drinking and socializing. People don't just go eat dinner and leave like they do in America. 

They are not overly religious, most Japanese follow some form of Buddhism or Shinto-ism.


I love Japan. I've only been there once, but it's an amazing place. The customer service everywhere is completely amazing. The food is out of this world. The people are very respectful. It's a complete 180 from America.

The only thing stopping me from moving there in a heartbeat is that weed is very illegal and very hard to find. That may sound stupid as fuck to some people, but I love my ganja.




Right, so you've been everywhere in the states then? All 350 million people are disrespectful? But your one time visit to Japan proved that they were better mannered and more respectful than all Americans. Got it.

:ohyou:


--------------------


And I will bring you out from the people, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with a stretched out arm, and with fury poured out.

Edited by JesusIsLord (02/17/15 05:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: JesusIsLord]
    #21289611 -

Where did I say I've lived everywhere in the states?

I have lived in more places in the states than most people. 13 states by my last count, on both sides of the coast, the center and the south.
The only place I haven't lived is the PNW, which I'm sure is great from everything I've heard.

I didn't say all 350 million people in America suck. There are lots of great people in America. Lots of trailer trash and retarded douchebags, methheads and crazy people too.

I'm just saying on the average, more random people on the street are much more respectful than your average American.
The customer service everywhere would blow you away. It left enough of an impression on me that I was and still am blown away, more than my 33 years living in America.

I love America, it's a huge country with a lot of beautiful scenery and whatnot. But a lot of Americans are arrogant douchebags, the stereotypes are true. But everyone should be judged individually.
On the whole though, most Americans are some disrespectful fucks when compared to other countries.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: JesusIsLord]
    #21289619 -

I would be willing to bet cash that the Japanese on average are far more respectful than Americans.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: JesusIsLord]
    #21289650 -

Quote:
Right, so you've been everywhere in the states then? All 350 million people are disrespectful? But your one time visit to Japan proved that they were better mannered and more respectful than all Americans. Got it.

:ohyou:




Indeed. But at the same time, they are deeply racist, believing that theirs is the superior race. A westerner living there, no matter how well he/she learns the language, customs, et al will never be fully accepted by Japanese society and considered a second class citizen. As Zappa said, weird these Japanese are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Le_Canard]
    #21289665 -

That's partly true too. Although they have softened up a bit in modern times with that whole thing.
If you make a serious effort to learn the language and customs etc, you are much more accepted than you would be in times past.
But yeah.. once an outsider.. always an outsider pretty much. Even if you were born and raised in Japan, and go live in America or some other country for a long time and move back.. you would never fully fit back in. My girl is Japanese and even she doesn't think she could fully integrate back into the culture as she's lived here for over 17 years.

They are deeply suspicious of non-Japanese though. They are VERY racist against the Chinese.. they don't seem to have as much of a problem with Koreans.
And white people they are 50/50 on it seems. They love our culture and emulate a lot of things in our culture, but they despise the typical arrogant American attitude.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Shroomism]
    #21289683 -

Well that's cool. I'd love to visit, but I don't think I'd stay there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Shroomism]
    #21289690 -

Shroomism said:
Where did I say I've lived everywhere in the states?

I have lived in more places in the states than most people. 13 states by my last count, on both sides of the coast, the center and the south.
The only place I haven't lived is the PNW, which I'm sure is great from everything I've heard.

I didn't say all 350 million people in America suck. There are lots of great people in America. Lots of trailer trash and retarded douchebags, methheads and crazy people too.

I'm just saying on the average, more random people on the street are much more respectful than your average American.
The customer service everywhere would blow you away. It left enough of an impression on me that I was and still am blown away, more than my 33 years living in America.

I love America, it's a huge country with a lot of beautiful scenery and whatnot. But a lot of Americans are arrogant douchebags, the stereotypes are true. But everyone should be judged individually.
On the whole though, most Americans are some disrespectful fucks when compared to other countries.



I'm just saying, you seem quick to generalize an entire population based on one visit versus a lifetime of experience with another culture. Don't trip though, I'm just sayin - America has all kinds. Japan probably does too.


--------------------


And I will bring you out from the people, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with a stretched out arm, and with fury poured out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: JesusIsLord]
    #21289721 -

I went to five major areas in Japan all over the map, I got a pretty broad taste of it I think. I'm just generalizing based on the interactions I had with ALL the people there. It blew me away.

In Kyoto we stayed a Ryokan, (old style Japanese hotel). We asked the lady who owned it where we could get some good food for dinner.
She said she knew the perfect place, and walked us outside like she was going to point us in the right direction and give us directions.
She told us to follow her and ended up walking us 5 1/2 blocks to the front door of the place and opened the curtain for us to let us in.
That's just one example. Typical of the kind of hospitality and interactions you would find. Even though I'm OBVIOUSLY a complete foreigner, everyone still treated me with tons of respect.
You could stop any random person on the street and ask for help and they would.

I've lived in America long enough (my entire life) to know that sort of thing isn't exactly commonplace. Yeah sure, there's great people in America, but that's not the default.

Also in Japan, the gap between the rich and the poor is EXTREMELY small. Most people are middle class and there's not really any SUPER DUPER rich people like there is here, and almost no poor people.
As there are many social services to help people if they are ever in need. But no one wants to get to that point, because they are too prideful. It's considered very shameful to get help from the government. So everyone works hard. I think I saw one homeless guy the entire time I was there, and he looked like he was enjoying it and wanted to be that way.

It's just a very different culture. There's pros and cons to each of our cultures. America is more "open and free" for the most part.. until you fly into the Airport and see pictures of Obama and homeland security. Flying into Japan was one of the easiest airport securities I've ever been through. Coming back to the US, not so much.

Japan has some weird laws.. drugs are SUPER illegal and if you get caught with weed you will get fucked, it's really hard to find good weed and you would pay out the ass for it. It's easier to find meth and research chemicals than weed, for the most part, unless you have some crazy hookup.

But you can walk down the street drunk as piss and drinking a beer. As long as you don't litter.
Also you can't smoke on the street. You have to go INSIDE to restaurants and shit, or specialized smoking booths to smoke.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: Shroomism]
    #21290217 -

americans are hilarious. They think everything is evil SOCIALISM OOOOO OMG THE SOCIALISTS ARE COMING TO GET US AND TAKING OVER THE WORLD. The amount of times ive seen americans cry about something progressive and then labelling it "socialism" because there scared it, is ridiculous.

Japanese law is really strange and full of contradictions. eg gambling technically illegal but everyone play pachinko for cash in shady but legal side shops that everyone knows about, prostitution is the same to a lesser extent. but then they also have a 99% conviction rate with a terrible, horrible, human rights breaking prison system. Then theres porn, no genitals, but you can make cartoons with god knows what. But you also have a culture and society that is very advanced and progressive. I dont think you could really label japan. Its just doesnt fit with western politics.


--------------------
You know, just sometimes in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that 400th glass of cornershop piss at 3am--you do sometimes look at yourself and think--this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
-Bernard Black


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: kakashi68]
    #21290243 -

Japan is extremely conservative when it comes to immigration. Western Europe, Australia, Canada, USA are all extremely multicultural societies. Japan is the opposite. Japan is for Japanese is their perspective.
Its very hard to immigrate there to live, foreign workers there have lower rates of pay and are only ever allowed to stay temporarily. Not sure what Sth Korea's position is on immigration.


--------------------
Useful bulk substrate calculator

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is Japan or South Korea considered liberal or conservative, using the American definition [Re: kakashi68]
    #21290245 -

The Japanese pixelate pussies and dicks but not assholes.  That's all you need to know about how fucking weird they are.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Disaster at sea: global warming hits UK birds ekomstop 2,081 18 08/02/04 11:52 AM
by MyInsanityTrip
* Adventures in the South
( 1 2 all )
ShroomismM 3,647 33 10/11/04 08:14 AM
by Shroomism
* shroomerites from Japan ? KOPELANDIAA 952 2 04/26/03 10:56 PM
by bert
* Canada - Liberals unveil pot bill for second time
( 1 2 all )
ThorA 5,047 23 11/02/04 02:49 PM
by kadakuda
* Have you become more liberal or conservative?
( 1 2 all )
mantis 4,226 24 04/29/05 03:10 PM
by Rono
* Conservative christian right wing Republican straight white American males... Hooty 1,048 2 02/02/05 12:43 AM
by blissedout
* Going to Japan!!!
( 1 2 3 all )
nicechrisman 4,709 47 08/09/04 08:07 PM
by nicechrisman
* I'm in Japan!
( 1 2 all )
nicechrisman 2,416 25 08/27/04 04:50 PM
by Phishgrrl

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,520 topic views. 4 members, 37 guests and 187 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 18 queries.