Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Mediocrity
    #2103689 - 11/13/03 09:38 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It is a normal thing to do to for a person to think that they are
smart and talented; that they possess aptitudes and abilities that
are more than the average person possesses. Yet, the simple fact is
that most of us are quite mediocre in intellect and abilities.
Most of us will never accomplish anything great or do much of anything
of consequence. We will merely end up existing and dying. Our
passing will not be remembered by many and our achievements will
not have been very impressive.

When the realization of my mediocrity hit me, it was like a sickening
thud. My world almost shattered when I realized that I was not as
smart as I thought and that I was quote ordinary.

Have any of you realized that you are mediocre?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: Mediocrity [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #2103807 - 11/13/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Human achievement is limited only by human will. It doesn't matter what the raw power of the processor is, it matters what you do with that power.

I know tons of kids who lack natural quickness of wit and intellect, but who study earnestly and diligently and really know their stuff inside and out because of it.

I believe everyone is capable of amazing things. Deep within all of us is the glowing ember of purity of thought that can be realized through training of the mind. Once the mind and its abilities are actually under your control, then you can proceed to utilize it to its maximum, whether it be in creative endeavors, intellectual exercise, or the analyzation of the mind itself.

Its all about consistent, selfless hard work. Peace!

--------------------

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #2103872 - 11/13/03 10:14 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

There is nothing  another person knows that you couldnt learn or experience. While their maybe a few exceptions and limitations, this fact still holds true.

And besides, it's that feeling that we are something special that drives us. And there is nothing wrong with that. I myself had to cultivate this flame, so I consider it quite precious. It's narcissistic I know, but without it, people would probably be more mediocre than they already are. I've had a tendency most of my life to fear and doubt my abilities. THAT is crippling, and THAT is wrong.

Overestimating ones abilities is another story altogether though.  There is a difference between your flame and your awareness! If you read some science books and think you're ready for MIT then you're in for a surprise! and that has nothing to with your flame and how deceptive it is, it has to do with your ignorance (not that that is an insult, we are all inherently ignorant.). You just have to look into things.  :sun: 

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2103900 - 11/13/03 10:18 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

#2103928 - 11/13/03 10:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Most of us will never accomplish anything great or do much of anything of consequence. We will merely end up existing and dying. Our
passing will not be remembered by many...

eventually, this is true of everyone.

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: Mediocrity [Re: ]
    #2104322 - 11/14/03 12:16 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Everything i do effects the universe as a whole, and those effects ripple throughout the universe for all time (if such a thing exists), i consider that to be no small achievment :wink: We should all strive for mediocrity. After all isn't it said that enlightenment lies on the middle road? :wink:
Sincerely,
That which is, and has no choice but to be

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2105606 - 11/14/03 09:43 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Realizing that you're mediocre is a sign of above average intelligence.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Mediocrity [Re: muhurgle]
    #2105620 - 11/14/03 09:48 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

But then thinking you are of above average intelligence rescinds you back to mediocrity. :nut: 

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
    #2105637 - 11/14/03 09:54 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I've spent my whole life trying to convince myself I'm NOT mediocre. hehe oh well

--------------------
Namaste

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Mediocrity [Re: RedNucleus]
    #2106292 - 11/14/03 12:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

mediocrity is a big relief for me.

fuck changing the world. the world doesnt want or need my help.

the universe is to be experienced, not manipulated.

Even the most well intentioned, altruistic action will be corrupted by this toilet earth. Look how little Jesus' hard work and sacrifice changed things. Now, we have wars in Jesus' name. We have wars in Mohammed's name. All those people trying to change the world should have just kept their mouth shut.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Mediocrity [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2106350 - 11/14/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

All those people trying to change the world should have just kept their mouth shut.

Could that lead to A Brave New World type o society, or one like 1984? Would have america been formed? Would we have ever done anything "different"?

In greek mythology, (maybe you know this or not, just putting it on for public display :wink: ) , Prometheus stole fire from Mount Olympus and gave it to the human race, therefor dooming mans existence by the will of Zeus. Prometheus had his liver pecked out by Zeus's friendly Eagle until Prometheus made a deal with him to reveal the secret of his undoing, there by releasing prometheus but restricting him to all divine power of zeus... He gave it to them because he thought that Zeus was not treating them fairly. Early in his reign he did not see that he had to work with humans and give them what they needed if they were to live in any sort of accordance. Of course Zeus could have killed them all... but who would have been there to say "O Zeus, thou art most divine of all"?

Sooooooooo..... What would be the price of in action? Not giving a damn about making any sort of changes... Would we as humans progress? As was the cause for prometheus giving fire for the human race to wield in itself?

Would our race be able to adapt to the necessary changes in order for its survival?

Because a few lazy sperm dont want to get the job done, im sure there are a few who think that egg is a pretty nice damn goal :wink: 

--------------------
What?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Mediocrity [Re: silversoul7]
    #2106382 - 11/14/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

The one guy who drew the Parking Lot is Full was my friend's computer teacher. It used to be hosted in the school's webspace way back when.

My friend asked him about it, and he denied it was him, then a week later, all of the cartoons had been altered, and his name was replaced by a fake one.

It was a private school, rich kids went there, I guess he didn't want angry parents complaining.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Mediocrity [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2106395 - 11/14/03 01:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Would have america been formed

the formation of America is a good example of what I'm talking about.

I mean, I love the founding fathers, I think they were geniuses, their actions were right, they did good work. But 200 years later, look what their vision has become. Do you think that Thomas Jefferson would be proud of America today?

the worst thing about America is that its rapidly losing its egalitarianism, and is quickly becoming quite communist. The only principle we are still living up to is manifest destiny (by which I mean conquest of the world). And considering our emerging fascism, this isnt a good thing.

Now, instad of being the liberators of the world, as our forefathers wanted and sacrificed so much for, we have become the world's oppressor. The founding father's origional goals have all been forgotten, and goals which are the exact opposite have taken their place. If things keep going the way they are, in a couple hundred years, the ideals of Jefferson will be buried in the sands of time, his influence no longer felt. It will be as if he didn't exist.

You can't change the nature of the beast. Not forever, anyways. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. But most people do not want to be vigilant, and freedom is not in the interest of power.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Mediocrity [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2106433 - 11/14/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

That makes me think of the quote by the oracle from the matrix "we cant see past the choices we havent made"

the ideas were in place, but after they were gone, they were replaced by other people with other interests. I think you are right that it does require vigilance... and people need to keep themselves in check... but in our society, that sort of checking system as far as the direction of our country is not necessarily in place, nor do that many people care about it. Freedom is not something we can have, it is not somethign we can hold, we can experience it, but we cannot control it exactly. I think it is up to the society to determine what steps need to be taken in order to assure tha maximum freedoms of individuals while maintaining a harmonious balance between everythign together. That can only be solved in my eyes by forming a system that really does keep everything in checks in balances... opposed to what it is today.

But i guess the main Idea i was trying to get across was that if people dont try, there wont be any change... they wont have any motivation to learn from their mistakes and make a forward progress.

--------------------
What?

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Mediocrity [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2110513 - 11/16/03 12:13 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

reminds me of a song I once wrote and performed in a garage band...the chorus was

I'm kind of sort of Mr. Barely Okay
At my very best, I'm definately maybe
Edgar Allen Jimmy Fucking simpleton
But I guess it's just not for me

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: Mediocrity [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2110835 - 11/16/03 03:15 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

For the record... its "we can't see past the choices we dont understand"
Sincerely
That which is, and has no choice but to be

Offlinebigfatdork
Now I Have Teeth

Loc: North PoLL
Re: Mediocrity [Re: ZenGecko]
    #2110860 - 11/16/03 03:43 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Failure is a particular thing
when self induced
an intimate betrayal
of brakes on a mountain road
where every correction
brings you closer to the edge
that strong beast of steel
and momentum
snaps domestic bonds
softly smothering your thought
in teeth
his eyes eagerly reminding us
who?s dog we are

--------------------
"But it was alright, he had won the battle against himself, He Loved Big Brother"

Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: Mediocrity [Re: bigfatdork]
    #2115603 - 11/17/03 08:48 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I didn't read most of this honestly, but here's a quote that I think pertains to the topic at hand.

an act of love today will flow as a wave through the future of mankind

It's beautiful, isn't it?

Personally I hate people who accept their own mediocrity. You've got to take it to the max. Life is to be lived how you feel it should be lived. Who gives a fuck about making history. Stay true to yourself.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom