Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Combo Incubator and Fruiting Chamber?
    #2087227 - 11/09/03 07:32 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hi, I'm doing my first grow and already am thinking what i will change for my next one. My question was that i heard it suggested that you can use a fruiting chamber as an incubator too by putting an aquarium heater under the perlite and jars on top. is this true? is there a consensus on this? does the heater not damage/burn the perlite? and does it keep the right temperature? right now im using the poor man's terrarium i.e. a 10-gallon rubbermaid with 2 inches perlite, 1/4-1/2 inch of water, and cakes on top with a screen between the perlite and the cakes. i plan on adding an air pump and air stones next time too so i won't have to do all this fanning.

If this is a repeat question, feel free to link to the post where this is discussed. i couldnt find a clear answer in the faq's

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: Combo Incubator and Fruiting Chamber? [Re: Tao]
    #2087524 - 11/09/03 08:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Everything I'm about to describe involves my hobby of growing edible oyster and shitake mushrooms.

For my current incubator I'm using a water cooler with water two inches deep, aquarium heater set to 86 degrees (I experimented a lot and for some reason when the water was 86 the equilibrium temperature of the air went between 84.2 and 84.4 and that's good enough for me), and I have little stands made otu of cut open water bottles that I put a piece of plexiglass on that's a little smaller than the cooler cavity, and this is where I place my jars.

However, I could see a similar setup working fine in your situation. Here is my idea...and you more experienced guys can correct me on this if I'm off, I'm just trying to learn myself...you pretty much have to change the perlite after each grow, at least take it out and wash it...at least mine gets really disgusting...so why not leave it as water w/out perlite during incubation (similar to my setup, although since you don't have a cooler it won't hold hte heat in as well and you'll probably have to turn the aquarium heater up a little bit higher) and then throw in the perlite and take out the heater for fruiting, then take out the perlite to wash anyway when fruiting is done and start the cycle again.

Personally, I like having the separate incubator and fruiter so that once my jars are done incubating, I can fruit them and immediately start some new jars, or at least overlap them a bit so I don't have a whole month without any tasty shitake mushrooms for my friends and I.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
Re: Combo Incubator and Fruiting Chamber? [Re: Tao]
    #2089375 - 11/10/03 12:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Here is another way to use the same container for colonization (spawn run) and fruiting.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder