Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJanna
Female User Gallery

Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery?
    #20583268 - 09/18/14 11:14 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Hello! I was wondering if anyone here has never had their art up in a gallery. And if so what steps did you take to make that happen. I have been painting a lot recently and I think I might finally be reaching a point where I would feel comfortable displaying it to the public, and quite possibly even make some money to help support my broke self. Any advice would be great, thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Roke
Re: Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery? [Re: Janna]
    #20583368 - 09/18/14 11:41 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've had my work in smaller galleries, mostly just ones owned by the university I attend, so I'm not sure I really have much insight here, though my dad also works as collections manager at an art gallery. Basically, as far as larger galleries like his go, you can't get in unless you have a name for yourself already. So what you do is you go for smaller, often artist-run galleries and collectives, and check out things like what kind of stuff they show, or application details and whatnot. Depending on where you live, there could be a lot of these smaller galleries, and those are where you would need to start.

InvisibleJohnnieYen
Okay
I'm a teapot

Loc: City Z
    #20583489 - 09/18/14 12:16 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

approach the owner or manager with a portfolio of your work and take it from there. Make sure you have an idea of what you want to sell it for.

I've also seen art on walls in coffee shop that sell on consignment, maybe that would be a good place to start

--------------------
[center

OfflineJanna
Female User Gallery

Re: Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery? [Re: JohnnieYen]
    #20584016 - 09/18/14 02:32 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

First of all, thank you, both of you.  And secondly, I live in a small but growing hippyish town with  at least 3-4 small galleries that I know of in it. Over the next few days I will attempt to contact owners/managers of these galleries for a meet. Our "First Friday Gallery Walk" in this town is a pretty big event with a lot of participants, so I would really like to have at least something in one of the galleries by then, but that might be unreasonable. If I can't, I know of a few local restraints and coffee houses that I might be able to approach as well about showing my art as was mentioned.

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
    #20584292 - 09/18/14 03:43 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Janna, I have zero artistic talent, however, my sister makes a living off of her art....not a bad one, at that.

She takes her portfolios to shops ...especially touristy areas and shows her stuff to the owners...once she got her foot in the door, her stuff started selling itself. She now has her artwork, prints, and cards in shops in many cities up and down the East Coast.

It takes talent, confidence, and a shit ton of leg work and moxy....but...it can be done. Also, I have a step-daughter that peddles her artwork at outdoor festivals...by hooking up with someone that already has a booth there and offering them a percentage of her sales.

Good luck!

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Loc: 203 Flag
Re: Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery? [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #20584373 - 09/18/14 04:00 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've had my art in galleries before
I've had multiple teachers ask me if they could put my art on display/in galleries

I really didn't care about it at the time though

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Re: Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery? [Re: CosmicFool]
    #20584401 - 09/18/14 04:07 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yes. As an art major we were required to present our items in a gallery and talk about them.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineJacksonMetaller
Stranger

Re: Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery? [Re: XUL]
    #20584421 - 09/18/14 04:10 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I know a member from here IRL who had a work of hers in the high museum. I don't think she comes on here very often any more though. I don't think that's very helpful but i thought it was really cool when i found out.

Offlinelowbrow
Paddy Time!!!!
Male

Re: Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery? [Re: JacksonMetaller]
    #20584464 - 09/18/14 04:21 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've been in a few galleries.  Nothing to big, just a few small shows.

--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

OfflineJanna
Female User Gallery

Re: Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery? [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #20584634 - 09/18/14 04:59 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

baltimark said:
Janna, I have zero artistic talent, however, my sister makes a living off of her art....not a bad one, at that.

She takes her portfolios to shops ...especially touristy areas and shows her stuff to the owners...once she got her foot in the door, her stuff started selling itself. She now has her artwork, prints, and cards in shops in many cities up and down the East Coast.

It takes talent, confidence, and a shit ton of leg work and moxy....but...it can be done. Also, I have a step-daughter that peddles her artwork at outdoor festivals...by hooking up with someone that already has a booth there and offering them a percentage of her sales.

Good luck!

Arround how long did it take your sister to  get her foot in the door and get the ball rolling? Three, five, plus, years? What you are describing with you sister, as unrealalistic as it might seem, sounds like just what I would like to have happen, someday, maybe. Thanks for the advice and insparational success story.

OfflineJanna
Female User Gallery

#20600742 - 09/22/14 11:26 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I just wanted to post to say I got my art accepted into one of three local galleries I set up a meeting with! I was always hopeful I would be accepted, but at the same time I was ready to accept the fact I wasn't accepted into any of them, so now that I was accepted I just can't be happier. I have a follow up meeting tomorrow at the gallery where I being in my physical pieces and they decided exactly what all they want to display. Thanks again to those that gave me their advice.

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Roke
    #20600764 - 09/22/14 11:33 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Nice! Good on you for having drive to actually do something with your art. Too many people don't put in the effort, and for years wonder what might have happened if they'd given themselves a chance.

InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
    #20600839 - 09/22/14 11:59 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, and two exhibitions
My advice is never pay to have your art displayed
especially when the internet is now being taken seriously
as a way to display your wares

Also, many restaurants will allow you to display and sell art
as long as you give them a cut.

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

OfflineShining Cosmos
Space Nomad
Male

Loc: PHX
Re: Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery? [Re: Apollyphelion]
    #20600909 - 09/22/14 12:21 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

The artist I apprenticed for offered that I display a piece. It ended up being the first piece that sold and it was for quite a bit which was a self esteem boost. The artist I learned from has been painting for 40 years and he has made enough money to live an enjoyable life. Before you submit to galleries you need a legitimate portfolio. No less than 15 pieces. And they all need to be without a doubt worth displaying.

Galleries are looking for diversity as an artist, development and potential. In a way they are investing in you by letting you display. They need to be photographed professionally or near that caliber. I would suggest making a PDF document of your portfolio piece by piece. Email it to all of the galleries you'd like to display at. That's a start.

That's what the artist I learned from taught me anyways.

Marketing online is something I dont know much about but there are worthy avenues. People are always buying art. There will always be rich art collectors with money to burn. New houses with wall space to fill, fancy corporate offices, new restaurant and clubs.

Another things is honesty. Is your work unique and worth paying for? Everyone's seen sunsets and cowboys

OfflineJanna
Female User Gallery

Re: Has anyone here ever had their art in a gallery? [Re: Shining Cosmos]
    #20601729 - 09/22/14 03:33 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks, that was very informative. I will keep all of that in mind as I continue to attempt to have my art displayed. I feel like I did an alright enough job with my portfolio, I took a lot of time taking the picture, and make sure all the pictures were taken with a professional camera. The only issue I can think of is with the diversity, the majority of what I have in my portfolio is mostly En Plein Air paintings. Although I have been planning on changing this.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale