Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Morning Glory Rooting and 24 hour light period....
    #2049014 - 10/28/03 12:41 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A while back I posted requesting a positive ID on a vine i had found near my home. I was fairly positive it was a morning glory and was even fairly sure it was of the heavenly blue strain. The feedback I got was reaffirming and I'm pretty sure now with no doubt that it is indeed. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...&PHPSESSID=

I figured being that I had taken several cuttings from the vine and brought them home with me I'd experiment a little with them.

One very long cutting I had I cut into sections and simply stuck into the ground near a fence in my yard watered well and forgot about it for a few days. Now I realized that I know it's too late in the year to be growing morning glories outside, but I was simply experimenting with them. Now although these didn't really root, they did darken to a brown color (the actual stems I mean) and even showed some significant growth and put of leaves and flowers. I was hoping maybe they'd put off a couple of seeds before dying off for the winter so that maybe I could have a vine there next year, but these aren't the cutting I was planning on talking about.

The reason I actaully started writing this post was in regards to the cutting that's actually pictured on the other thread (follow the link to see it) Now in the past I've seen a few vines actually root simply from being kept in water, and I was curious to whether or not morning glories would do similar. I've heard them to be very hardy and respond well to poor soil with good drainage...So i put the rooting in a cup of water. The cutting had three flowers (one open and two closed)and one very large leaf. The leaf and the flowers were actually on individual but connected stems. I put the glass of water in the window of my kitchen, where there's a flourescent light that is on 24 hours a day. This means that during the day the cutting gets indirect sunlight as well as flourescent light and that at night it gets flourescent light, so the plant gets no true dark period. The flower that was open on the cutting whithered and fell off fairly quickley, but the two closed ones remained and I noticed that the leaf showed no signs of whithering. A day or so later I notcie tiny nodes coming of the submerged part of the stem. Several days later I noticed the closed flowers were making an attempt to open, but withered before fully opening. Now I'm left with just a leaf and stem, but the leaf shows absolutely no sign of withering and the texutre of the submerged stem has changed quite a bit, partially just because of being submerged in water I'm sure, but also there has been a lot of tiny nodes protruding from the stem taht look as though they could eventually become root structure, if not just more stem.... Not sure but I plan on keeping an eye on it. I cahnge the water daily or at least every other day also...

The whole experiment poses a question in my head though. Seeing as my cutting has no period of true darkness, yet this has caused seemingly no adverse affects to it (i.e. the leaf is still very much in good shape and unwithered) could it be that morning glories grown indoors would respond well to a 24 hour photo-period? Of course I'm not really growing the vine at this point, just trying to get it root and there isn't really much growth involved I supposed it's stupid to assume that, and I could be looking at this wrong.

I am going to try to grow this cutting indoors if it does end up rooting, just to have something to play around with and for some more greenery inside.

Thanks for listening to the rant...any feedback?

Peace and Much Love

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHIghInOhio
stranger thanyou
 User Gallery

Loc: ohio
Re: Morning Glory Rooting and 24 hour light period.... [Re: Hooty]
    #2376481 - 02/25/04 05:01 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I have found that Morning glories (I have only grown Heavenly Blue)will almost always root within 1-2 days of planting them in soil under 24 hour flouro light. I have actually had worse results when I put them in just water. I have even planted very withered cuttings, which I figured had almost no chance of survival, in soil under 24 hours, and seen full recovery.

OfflineHIghInOhio
stranger thanyou
 User Gallery

Loc: ohio
Re: Morning Glory Rooting and 24 hour light period.... [Re: HIghInOhio]
    #2376489 - 02/25/04 05:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

hmmmmmm... I just remembered I found this using the search funtion and realized that it was a very old post... Oh well, hope it helps somebody

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Morning Glory Rooting and 24 hour light period.... [Re: HIghInOhio]
    #2377094 - 02/25/04 09:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yes it is an incredibly old post, haha, but no worries thanks for the responce.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

OfflineWoahAllTheColors
Stranger

#2377104 - 02/25/04 09:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

wow... my mom use to grow that shit like all over the outside of the house!

OfflineFesterBestertester
journeyman
Re: Morning Glory Rooting and 24 hour light period.... [Re: WoahAllTheColors]
    #2377497 - 02/26/04 12:34 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Can one collect seeds in a single season? MG is a perennial, often grown as an annual. I'd really like to know, as the winter time here is non-conducive to growing a plant from South America as a perennial.

So; seeds in a single summer?

OfflinePsiloSteve
Bioinformant
    #2386630 - 02/28/04 03:15 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Growing morning glories is easier than clipping toe nails. They germinate quickly and do not require very fertile soil. Adding miracle grow to the soil will most likely result in failure. You can pretty much just dump seeds next to fences and trees in full sun, before a nice rain and come back in the fall and harvest. There's really no need to start them inside because they grow so damn quickly. If it were me, I wouldn't even waste the wattage starting them indoors.

--------------------
Don't worry be happy!

OfflineFesterBestertester
journeyman
Re: Morning Glory Rooting and 24 hour light period.... [Re: PsiloSteve]
    #2388536 - 02/29/04 11:22 AM (13 years, 28 days ago)

So basically you answered my question, you went from seed, to seeds in a single season, RIGHT ON!
What kind of return do you get with one seed? How many seeds did you sow, what did you reap?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden