Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HPS, Morning Glory Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
My Morning Glories Need Help! (Image Added)
    #1559165 - 05/19/03 02:26 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hi everyone! :smile:

A while back, I started growing two morning glory plants inside my apartment.  They were originally in pots on my windowsill where they got plenty of light, and they started off splendidly!  I soon had to place a couple sticks in their pots for them to climb on.

Well, recently I moved back home from school, and I put the morning glories in a corner of my bedroom where I have a fake tree for them to continue climbing on.  I have a lamp shining on them since they are in the corner and don't receive any natural sunlight, but all the new leaves that have formed are very light green and sickly-looking. 

I guess it's pretty obvious that the lamp I have shining on them is not providing enough light for them, but I am worried about moving them because their tendrils have already entwined themselves around the branches of my fake tree.  Besides, I don't know where else I can put them where they can climb on something and still receive natural sunlight.

Should I consider untangling their tendrils and replanting them somewhere outside?  I suppose I could put them in the back yard and let them climb on the chain-link fence there.  But do you think moving them now could harm them?  If I leave them where they are, do you think they will still flower?

I guess I need a more experienced botanist's advice on what the best option for my plants would be.  Another thing I was worried about is whether morning glories are very dependent on a certain light period to induce inflorescence.  That is, will they even flower if I keep them indoors where they don't receive a natural day/night schedule?

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks,

RebelSteve

P.S.  I will try to post some pics of the plants tomorrow if I can get my dad's digital camera to work.

P.P.S.  I had a couple other questions about morning glories that aren't related to the problem I was most concerned with asking about.  I was just wondering if anyone knew why the cotyledons morning glories produce are so different in appearance from the other leaves they produce, and why do the cotyledons die off after a certain period of time?  Is this common in angiosperms?  Are the cotyledons even supposed to die off, or does that mean that my plants are unhealthy?  It just seemed odd to me how different looking they are from the rest of the leaves, and I wondered what the reason for that is.  I'm much more concerned with what I should do with my plants, but if anyone can answer these questions too, that would be awesome!  Thanks again!  :grin: 

-RS 

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (05/19/03 03:37 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: My Morning Glories Need Help! [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1559202 - 05/19/03 02:55 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

okay if you just have a little incandescent table lamp shining on them then that is why the new leaves look bad.  you dont have a single window in your room?  if you do then couldnt you just move your plants and the fake tree next to the window?  if not then i would put them outside and  if you live in the south where it gets plenty warm they can even grow as perinneals(they come back every year).  i dont know if they need a certain light period to bloom i assume you got that idea from cannabis :smile:  but i dont think that severing their tendrils will harm them that much.  also on your ? about the cotyledons nearly ALL plants seed leafs will appear much different from the actual leaves.  and they only stay on the plant as long as they need to then they die.  so you plant is fine in that regard :smile:  a good example is a cannabis seed leaf it is smooth and oblong clearly different than the sawtooth maple look of the real leaves.  i hope i helped man good luck and try to get some pics up.  peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineRaedon
enthusiast

Re: My Morning Glories Need Help! [Re: blaze2]
    #1559537 - 05/19/03 09:45 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Put them outside or get 150 watts of florecent lighting 2 inches or closer to every leaf or buy a MH or HPS HID...

or just plant them outside..

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#1559938 - 05/19/03 02:08 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for answering my questions, blaze2!  There's no way I can put them and the fake tree in front of my window, so I think I am just going to plant them outside. 

Should I actually sever their tendrils, or just try to untangle them?  And should I actually take them out of their pots and plant them into the ground, or just leave them in the pots and set them next to the fence?

Thanks for your input, too, Raedon.  I am definitely going to transport them outside today, but if anyone could give me advice on the above questions first it would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks again, you guys!  :laugh:

-RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#1560170 - 05/19/03 03:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, I got my dad's digital camera to work, but for some reason The Shroomery will only let me upload one of the pictures I took. It's telling me that the other ones appear to be corrupt for some reason.

Anyway... Here is the pic it let me upload:

It's just a close-up of some of the leaves. You can see how some of them are lighter than the others, apparently due to a lack of light. I'll soon be moving the plants outside, and I will post some more pics of them later in their new home (if the images work, that is!)

-RebelSteve

P.S. If this image appears dark on anyone else's computer, please let me know. It is hardly visible on mine, but I think something is seriously wrong with my monitor.

(Check my thread in the Science & Technology forum if you're into computers and think you might be able to help.) Thanks again!

-RS

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1561740 - 05/19/03 11:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

your pic looks fine steve. i think that if you tried to untangle them they would just break off. this happened to my cantalope vine it tried to climb the trellis i have for my cumbers and wheni tried to untangle it it just broke off but it is fine. so i guess try to just untangle them and if they break it should be okay. where do you live? like i said put em in the ground if you live in a warm climate if it freezes hard just put something over them(after the first year this isnt a problem anymore) but if you live in a colder climate keep them in the pots so you can move them in during the winter. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#1561795 - 05/20/03 12:18 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I untangled them today without any problems!  I decided to just keep them in their pots to prevent the risk of anything bad happening during re-planting.  I simply put the pots next to the fence, and did my best to weave their tendrils through the holes of the chain-link fence so they can climb on it.

Tomorrow I will check on them and see if they are looking healthier at all.  I really hope they start doing better outside!  I'm really excited to watch them continue to grow, and if they flower and go to seed I will be overcome with joy! :laugh:

Thanks for helping out, blaze2.  I will post some more pics of the plants another time if they start growin' on the fence well.  Keep your fingers crossed for me! :smile:

Peace,

RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1562159 - 05/20/03 03:06 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

im sure they will do fine they are almost a weed around here. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HPS, Morning Glory Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden