Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: KamikazeKush]
    #20448816 -

Wobbling, wobbling, wobbling.


--------------------
A Man Said to the Universe:
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”

-Stephen Crane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: KamikazeKush]
    #20448819 -

KamikazeKush said:
Wobbling, wobbling, wobbling.



DUBSTEP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: KamikazeKush]
    #20448828 -

KamikazeKush said:
Or is everything stationary and the space in between things wobbling D:



No, that stuff's wobbling too.

Cosmic dance of infinite, one organism of life/existence/consciousness.

bla bla bla. Nothing to see here.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: pfxtc]
    #20448866 -

Relative to humans yes O_O

Relatively is a cruel, confusing mistress.


--------------------
A Man Said to the Universe:
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”

-Stephen Crane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: KamikazeKush]
    #20448932 -

KamikazeKush said:
Relative to humans yes O_O

Relatively is a cruel, confusing mistress.



I always viewed the Universe as some kind of incomprehensible self-analyzing being. Evolving and evolving. The deeper we look [with telescopes or microscopes], the more obvious this idea seems to be. At least in my opinion.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: pfxtc]
    #20448947 -

Well put my friend :smile: no arguments here haha


--------------------
A Man Said to the Universe:
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”

-Stephen Crane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: KamikazeKush]
    #20449007 -

I'm sorry I ever used the word "wobble"


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: koods]
    #20449061 -

koods said:
I'm sorry I ever used the word "wobble"



you should be


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: pfxtc]
    #20449146 -

Wibble


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: pfxtc]
    #20450190 -

pfxtc said:
There would be no life on Earth if Jupiter was as far aways as the moon.



Certainly not hominids but I've heard speculations that there could be some forms of life in the water under the ice of one of jupiter's moons (Europa?).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: koods]
    #20450411 -

koods said:
The tidal forces on earth would be immense. The oceans would probably rise and fall by thousands of feet every couple hours. The atmosphere, if it could even survive such forces, and not be sucked right of the planet, would bulge so much due to tidal forces, the pressure would be all over the place. Actually none of this would probably happen because the tidal forces would have been so intense, earth's rotation would have stopped completely in relation to Jupiter and one side of the earth would always face Jupiter the same way one side of the moon always faces earth.



yeah, i don't think the planet would be liveable with jupiter that close. also, i used to have recurring nightmares as a kid about jupiter filling the sky in a similar way as op's.

:thataintright:


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: millzy]
    #20450700 -

millzy said:
yeah, i don't think the planet would be liveable with jupiter that close. also, i used to have recurring nightmares as a kid about jupiter filling the sky in a similar way as op's.

:thataintright:



cool. I wonder why you'd dream about Jupiter?


--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: Dawks] * 1
    #20450744 -

Dawks said:
millzy said:
yeah, i don't think the planet would be liveable with jupiter that close. also, i used to have recurring nightmares as a kid about jupiter filling the sky in a similar way as op's.

:thataintright:



cool. I wonder why you'd dream about Jupiter?



Weird. I dream about Uranus.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: Dawks]
    #20450747 -

Dawks said:
millzy said:
yeah, i don't think the planet would be liveable with jupiter that close. also, i used to have recurring nightmares as a kid about jupiter filling the sky in a similar way as op's.

:thataintright:



cool. I wonder why you'd dream about Jupiter?



i was really into science and would borrow a lot of books about space, biology and anatomy from the library. i guess my head was full of that stuff. anatomy books used to also freak me out in spite of them being so utterly fascinating. i couldn't keep them in my room while i slept. :lol:


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Edited by millzy (08/20/14 08:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: koods]
    #20450773 -

koods said:
Dawks said:
millzy said:
yeah, i don't think the planet would be liveable with jupiter that close. also, i used to have recurring nightmares as a kid about jupiter filling the sky in a similar way as op's.

:thataintright:



cool. I wonder why you'd dream about Jupiter?



Weird. I dream about Uranus.





--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #20451082 -

moonrockmushy said:
pfxtc said:
There would be no life on Earth if Jupiter was as far aways as the moon.



Certainly not hominids but I've heard speculations that there could be some forms of life in the water under the ice of one of jupiter's moons (Europa?).



Only if we were there, and not Jupiter here. If Jupiter was orbiting this close, and we at that distance, we would likely be alright. Evolution would have happened differently as there would be some mild gravity and night/day cycle changes, but hominids should still be possible.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: Xingu]
    #20451373 -

Sorry I'm getting confused.  The way I was thinking about it is if Earth was basically one of Jupiter's moons.  I not sure this is actually possible, I'm not the best at physics but it at least seems somewhat feasible to me.  Jupiter's largest moon Ganymede is 0.413X Earth's mean radius, though it is a much smaller mass at 0.025X Earth.

I guess this brings me to some questions: 

Is this even possible?

If so, how far away would Earth need to be from Jupiter to have a stable orbit? 

It would have to be much further than the Earth is from the moon I know, but would Jupiter still be scary and imposing? 

Would Earth's atmosphere be sucked into the clouds of Jupiter?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #20451539 -

moonrockmushy said:
Is this even possible?




Yes.

Quote:
If so, how far away would Earth need to be from Jupiter to have a stable orbit? 
It would have to be much further than the Earth is from the moon I know, but would Jupiter still be scary and imposing? 




Moon distance should be safe, average Jupiter satelitte distance is not much more than the Moon's, and many of Jupiter's moons are closer.

Quote:
Would Earth's atmosphere be sucked into the clouds of Jupiter?



Unlikely, gravitational forces even at moon distance wouldn't be strong enough.

Edited by Xingu (08/20/14 11:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: Xingu]
    #20451589 -

Cool thanks for the answers.  I was thinking that the higher mass would mean it'd have to be further away but I guess I wasn't taking into account of velocity or anything like that.

That idea is awesome.  Living on a planet orbiting a gas giant orbiting a star.  Now that I know it is theoretically possible it is even cooler.  I get what you were saying before about Jupiter being in Earth's orbit.

Here is a video I have saved on youtube of Jupiter from someone's telescope if anyone is interested.  I think it is a quite impressive feat of photography.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: IF Jupiter were as far away as the moon [Re: Azure Essence]
    #20456188 -

Azure Essence said:
JesusIsLord said:
Azure Essence said:
Does this make anyone else uneasy? I guess I have a bit of Thalassophobia, so I think it's related to that





why borrow trouble?

jupiter is far away. focus on real problems dawg :lolsy:



There are no such thing as real problems. Any problem you think you have, or think is important, is just as stupid as the jupiter one.



But it's real enough that it makes you uneasy?


--------------------


And I will bring you out from the people, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with a stretched out arm, and with fury poured out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Does the moon exist, or is it an optical illusion.
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
Supreme Slammage 11,961 176 11/06/12 03:54 PM
by Bridgeburner
* 7 day stays on the moon by 2018 DNKYD 963 4 09/16/05 11:19 AM
by trendal
* Jupiter is an Electron
( 1 2 3 all )
mathewww 5,935 48 02/10/09 08:03 AM
by jvm
* Fuck the moon- The U.S. should go to mars
( 1 2 3 4 all )
skatealex2 5,863 72 07/21/09 07:12 AM
by Prisoner#1
* Bombing the MOON
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Zerolive 6,578 97 02/06/10 05:52 PM
by CandyGirl
* Wizard of Oz / Dark Side of the Moon Anonymous 1,212 12 04/29/03 03:37 PM
by Learyfan
* The Moon... PapaverS 954 10 06/22/04 04:57 PM
by Papaver
* .
( 1 2 3 all )
AnonymousRabbit 2,660 45 04/11/11 09:16 AM
by Legend

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,672 topic views. 5 members, 41 guests and 161 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 17 queries.