Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

lib patch invaders?
    #2020396 - 10/18/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hi, I?m a long-time lurker, first time poster and general lover of all things mushroom.

The lib season here in Newfoundland has been pretty bountiful so far but I am a bit concerned with a few specimens I found earlier in the season. They were collected on September 23 from a patch that I?ve been picking for the past two years. I was surprised to find any libs so early this year as it had been unseasonably warm and dry but on this date the tall, shaded grass of a wetter part of the field did fruit.

I found many mushrooms that were unmistakably Liberty Caps but my main concern with the mushrooms that I did find is that they were much more variable in appearance then I usually encounter and my concern grew after I found the mushroom with the expanded cap in the picture below.

I seriously doubt that this mushroom is Psilocybe semilanceata but because I found it growing so close to true Libs it is possible that I may have collected immature specimens mistakenly. This particular specimen has been already been discarded and the other mushrooms that I collected on that day have been separated from my other Libs collected more recently because I may just get rid of them as they are a small fraction of my finds. However, I would like to hear some opinions on what I?ve found. Below is a picture of another mushroom that could be Psilocybe semilanceata but then again it may not.

> Both of the specimens were viscid when moist and had separable pellicles.
> Both their spore prints were of similar colour. The specimen with the non-expanded cap had a black-purple print, while the other one was more black-brown.
>Stems on both were around 10cm.
>The expanded cap was about 2.5cm, while the other one was about 1 cm.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: lib patch invaders? [Re: Stipe]
    #2021394 - 10/18/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

first off a question: which groups of agaricales have seperable pellicles other than Psilocybe and and parts of the Russula genus? im assuming that genera in the strophariaceae do not other than Psilocybe since that is the genus's distinguisihing feature. but something in my head reminds me of some Naematoloma species having a seperable pellicle?

a non-purple spore print is not going to be P. semilanceata. the second one doesnt look like a lib anyway to me, but maybe its another one of those sons of btiches from the north that ive never found. P. pelliculosa popped into my mind just now. :confused:

although it looks like a Conocybe to me just because. the stem looks like a coprinaceae or bolbitaceae stem to me, thats all.

am i mad?  :lipsrsealed: :crazy2: 

OfflineGonzoPunk
Lurking fiend.
Re: lib patch invaders? [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #2022677 - 10/19/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

another Newfoundlander! we're popping up like mad lately.

what part of the island are you from?

--------------------
"I think there's something wrong with me." - Oscar Zeta Acosta

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

Re: lib patch invaders? [Re: GonzoPunk]
    #2024735 - 10/20/03 05:46 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm in Torbay, just north of St. John's.

I had two other people have a look at the spore prints because I have poor colour perception and the consensus is that the spore print for the non-expanded cap is brown-purple and the spore print for the expanded cap is brown and may have some faint purple in it. These people don't know that psilocybes have purple in their spore print therefore their opinions are unbiased whereas sometimes I believe I see purple but that may be just because I want to.

Another point, both caps turned a straw colour as they dried. And in case you can't tell from the picture, the expanded-cap mushroom had a prominent nipple. As the non-expanded cap dried it too developed a small nipple.

Invisiblekaal-kopje
the season is upon us..

Loc: below sea level
    #2024770 - 10/20/03 06:09 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I have found liberty caps with expanded caps quite regulary.
But if your specimen has a brown sporeprint it can?t be semilanceata.

libs with expanded caps.

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

Re: lib patch invaders? [Re: kaal-kopje]
    #2024937 - 10/20/03 08:55 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I encounter them all the time as well and I also agree that the mushroom with the expanded cap is not a Liberty Cap. But then what is it?

Same mushrooms together:

OfflineFloyd_
Stranger

#2403918 - 03/04/04 06:30 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

*Bump*

has anyone figured out what this was? i'm intrigued

--------------------
Dimensions

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: lib patch invaders? [Re: Floyd_]
    #2403941 - 03/04/04 06:39 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

it was a lib. the serarable pellicle is proof enough, the black-brown sporeprint is widely considered a variation on purple brown when dealing with this species. just means a more heavey deposit

ive encountered them with concave caps on several occasions,
a truly morphologically variable mushroom, given hapitat and the parameters given, there is nothing else it could be.

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

Re: lib patch invaders? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2410121 - 03/09/04 05:48 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Thanks for the bump Floyd and the ID Mitchnast.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies