Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
I'm going to become a professional poker player
    #20077852 -

yeah yeah yeah!!!!!!

Nobody believes me. When I told my parents my dad was inches away from sending me to the funny farm.

My freshman year of college I did nothing but pent myself up in my room and play online poker. Thousands upon thousands upon thousand of hands, 8 tables at a time.

I had a steady income and made about $200 in a month playing low stakes which was all my bankroll could afford. I was gonna move onto higher stakes and exponentially increase my income but I foolishly squandered  my money on big tournaments and quit the poker scene. I also played ungodly amounts of starcraft broodwar which has a direct relationship to poker, hence many pro sc players moving onto poker.

I think the biggest connection is the fog of war and your opponents cards. They are the same. Making ballsy moves in starcraft regardless of fog of war and having no vision is just like betting in poker against hands you cannot see.

Whenever I play with friends I destroy. I hate tournament style though ( hence why it cleared my money) because you play play play until everything runs out. I also prefer tables of 8 or 9 people at all times.

I've only played at the casino once and I brought my measly $125 dishwasher prepcook paycheck to the table. Doubled it within an hour and walked away on a high note. NOBODY else there understood preflop play I was amazed. I'd bet big preflop on the button and steal everybody's money easy as hell.

ANYWAY YOU WILL SEE SHROOMERY I AM THE NEXT BIG POKER CAJONE!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Rorge]
    #20077875 -

Lotsa luck. Its much harder than you think and the quality of play goes up in bigger limits. If you do well in low limit online then stick to that. I think you will find in a few years that a job will pay better. When payday comes they don't tell you your aces got drawn out on.


--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Stonehenge]
    #20077890 -

I believe in you OP. I was in the same boat in college.

I played poker at the casino to pay for my tuittion and everybody around me was flipping out thinking I would get addicted to gambling and lose everything and shit.

Didn't happen. No college debt.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Patlal]
    #20078019 -

Are there any good free online poker games you can recommend?  I don't want to gamble with actual money but want to get better at the various games.

Or android/ios apps/games.

Edited by refried (06/03/14 12:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: refried]
    #20078175 -

refried said:
Are there any good free online poker games you can recommend?  I don't want to gamble with actual money but want to get better at the various games.

Or android/ios apps/games.



Since this is the internet I'm going to be frank:

You won't get any better playing with fake money. In fact it will likely instill bad habits if you do it too much. The reason being: Nobody plays for real with fake money. If I'm playing with fake money, I might as well go all in every hand right? Because it's not real money.

What I did, during my online poker days, was I got free REAL MONEY from an affiliate site. That's right. They give you $50 for free, and to claim your money, you need only play a certain number of hands. It is not a scam (as long as you find the correct site). That being said, I played before the US poker ban so there were a lot more opportunities back then.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Rorge]
    #20078185 -

Shroomery poker tournament anyone???


--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Mickalopagus]
    #20078192 -

I get that, but not interested in tempting myself or finding the "correct" site.  I have recently been invited to some poker games, mostly variants of 7 card stud.  I'd like to be able to hold my own or at least not slow the game down every time it's my turn.  Any recommendations in light of that?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: refried]
    #20078380 -

There is a difference between playing for fun or to make a little extra money and doing it as a "pro". The pro has to play many days a week just to crack the nut (cover expenses). It gets boring as hell and what is even more boring are the bad runs which can go on for days and days. You may become convinced you can't win anymore after several good hands got beat, and those were the hands you waited all night, or all day to get. Not getting angry, not getting bored or discouraged is a job all in itself.

When cards are running well you tend to play better but some people take more chances, find that they win with a bad play and it becomes a habit. When the cards are bad your play tends to get worse since you've been beat on so many times. You get scared to raise since you got reamed with the same hand not too long ago. Then when you do raise, they figure you for a big hand since you've been playing tight.


--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Rorge]
    #20078388 -

So, how much money have you really made, then?

If you're going pro, I hope you've made at least 50-100k in profits before  seriously dropping out of shit to become a pro player...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Mickalopagus]
    #20078438 -

mick said:
Shroomery poker tournament anyone???



LETS GO


--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Stonehenge]
    #20078669 -

Stonehenge said:
There is a difference between playing for fun or to make a little extra money and doing it as a "pro". The pro has to play many days a week just to crack the nut (cover expenses). It gets boring as hell and what is even more boring are the bad runs which can go on for days and days. You may become convinced you can't win anymore after several good hands got beat, and those were the hands you waited all night, or all day to get. Not getting angry, not getting bored or discouraged is a job all in itself.

When cards are running well you tend to play better but some people take more chances, find that they win with a bad play and it becomes a habit. When the cards are bad your play tends to get worse since you've been beat on so many times. You get scared to raise since you got reamed with the same hand not too long ago. Then when you do raise, they figure you for a big hand since you've been playing tight.



Thanks for the tip. Nothing new to me though, trust me. What I'm most worried about though is I don't have the starting bankroll to support poker playing.

I played about 8 hours a day, 8 tables at a time, and made steady money at low stakes online. So far my live playing has been better than my online. I meditate a lot so keeping my emotions in check, rolling with the punches is something I literally practice every single day regardless. I understand poker is an up and down game.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Uzziel]
    #20078683 -

Uzziel said:
So, how much money have you really made, then?

If you're going pro, I hope you've made at least 50-100k in profits before  seriously dropping out of shit to become a pro player...



Dipping out of what? Living with my parents and washing dishes at the local pizza shack? I already earned my useless college degree.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm going to become a professional poker player [Re: Rorge]
    #20078772 -

I also just really like the idea of earning a living doing this. Even if it was only enough to just scrape by. Screw these STEM jobs that everybody is getting. Fuck STEM.

Maybe I'm jelly. Hell yeah I'm jelly, when my friend comes out of school with an engineering job making bank and I come home from a day of work, impoverished and stinking of grime. Yeah it makes me mad.

At the same time what the fuck are these college grads with jobs DOING? Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics. Yeah because all our society needs is MORE FUCKING TECHNOLOGY. Great, my buddy writes regression code for corporations. Yeah he's really helping shit out in this world...what a great contribution. Oh yeah and sitting down staring at a screen all day and getting paid, that's just gotta be helping the world.

My degree was in Music Education. But frankly, I'm crazy. I'm a deviant. And I don't see myself being a teacher. Maybe I could pull it off but I'd have to be one wacky as hell teacher.

What I like is the idea of earning money at this game because it's fun. Simply put. It is a fun game, it's chaotic, deviant, insane. All qualities I love. Who cares if it's at the expense of other players. Many of them are greedy, gambling, addicted bastards anyhow. And if they are good players, I accept their challenge with open arms. I'm not contributing to society? By simply proving that you can make money having fun and being crazy is my contribution.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Any poker players online wanna stake me in?
( 1 2 3 all )
Rahie 3,411 45 04/10/07 06:03 PM
by Rahie
* I'd like to become a professional poker player
( 1 2 all )
ZippoZM 2,388 30 05/06/07 07:07 PM
by downforpot
* so, i'm doing very well at my attempts to become a professional poker player. ZippoZM 610 4 05/22/07 11:23 AM
by WhiskeyClone
* poker players kilroy69 438 1 02/17/07 07:18 PM
by Horse_Meister
* Free online poker players? MrMaddHatter 567 3 05/26/06 11:41 PM
by Ginseng1
* online poker SneezingPenis 598 3 10/05/07 01:25 AM
by SneezingPenis
* 9-5 poker SneezingPenis 916 14 10/10/07 12:38 AM
by THE KRAT BARON
* Online Poker
( 1 2 all )
ShroomyMcPot 4,491 32 05/06/06 09:04 PM
by Stonerguy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
441 topic views. 3 members, 12 guests and 234 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.