Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon
    #2002884 - 10/12/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Here are my thoughts on OUST (An aerosol air 'sanitizer' available at most of the -marts throughout america)

IT claims to sanitize the air and I've read posts of people using it for all sorts of cleaning projects, mainly for using inside of a glove box to "sanitize" it. I was wondering exactly what was in oust and exactly what it does. A quick look at the back of the can and in TMC gave me some answers, here is what i've found and my comments there of.

The ingredient list for oust (Outdoor Scent is what I have, I'm not sure if that matters, really) states it is 6.0% Triethylene Glycol and 94% "inert ingredients". It's label reads "Kills 99.9% of odor-causing bacteria in the air", and the directions state
"To temporarily reduce airborn bacteria and eliminate odors in an average room (12'x12'x9'), close all doors, windows and air vents and spray product upward in center of room for 10 seconds. For maximum effectiveness relative humidity should be between 45% and 70%. Resume normal room ventiliation after spray has settled".

In Stamets TMC (p. 17, item number "1.") on the subject of establishing a sterile laboratory, he states:
"By asperating sterile oil, a cloud of highly viscous droplets is created. As the droplets decend they trap airborne contaminant particles. This technique uses triethylene glycol that is vaporized through a heated wick. Finer and more volatile than mineral oil, triethylene glycol leaves little or no noticable film layer. However, a daily schedule of hygiene maintenance is still recommended." He then goes on to give a product plug that I'll omit as irrelavent.

The volatile oils cling to bacteria, then remove it from the air. I believe the Oust should be used, as Stamets suggests, as an addition to regular sterile procedures. I don't belive that it "kills" a large number of the contaminant spores, but I do belive it can remove them from the athmosphere. My recommendation is to sitll keep Lysol spray (even better, Chlorox spray that kills bacteria for 24 hours) on hand and use that for scrubbing surfaces, and use it AFTER the oust.

Thumbs up for Oust for removing bacteria from the air, but it's not a final solution.

Note: the main reason I wrote this was in response to the glove-box usage. For spraying in a confined space with no air flow like a glove box, I recommend using Lysol spray. The air becomes temporarily saturated with Lysol and is disinftected that way. Although, using both can't hurt.

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: lysergic]
    #2002898 - 10/12/03 04:30 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

So your recommendation is to spray Oust in the air as directed and then use either Lysol or Clorox spray to disinfect your work area?

--------------------
"...Meow."

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: MycoCat]
    #2002903 - 10/12/03 04:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yes. I don't think that oust really "disinfects" like Chlorox does, but I do belive it can remove some airborne "odor-causing bacteria".

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#2003408 - 10/12/03 07:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

IMHO use lysol for everything.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#2003460 - 10/12/03 08:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Nice post. That ends the debate for me.

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zee mountain state
Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #2003500 - 10/12/03 08:29 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I ousted the other day and I haven't seen any bacteria floating around since... :smile:

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2003502 - 10/12/03 08:30 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I usually set everything on fire first just to make sure.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2003860 - 10/12/03 10:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

yeah that's cool.  Isopropyl alcohol gives a better flame than lysol :smile: 

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #2004232 - 10/13/03 12:32 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I personally recommend using bleach / water to clean objects (casing containers, empty jars, terrariums, instruments, mixing bowls, glove box). Then I recommend cleaning with hot water to remove the bleach residue, misting the space / item with Bleach spray, towel drying after 10 minutes, then spraying with 91% isopsophjyl alcoho in a mist bottle. PAranoid? Yes. Effective? Yes. Misting 91% iso in a glove box kills ALL the nasties.

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
    #2004353 - 10/13/03 01:20 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

OUST is the ticket!
Get a can of it, It works GREAT!
Use it in combo with regular lysol/ bleach cleaning of surfaces and contam rates will drop drimatically.
I fully condone the use of OUST air sanitizer :smile:

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Offlinesansa
Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon *DELETED* [Re: lysergic]
    #11487861 - 11/19/09 06:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by sansa

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineSinoc
Jugglin' fool

Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: sansa]
    #11487893 - 11/19/09 06:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1)  fill spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol
2)  spray
3)  profit

Invisiblecurbstop
Regnarts

Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: MycoCat]
    #11488227 - 11/19/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MycoCat said:
So your recommendation is to spray Oust in the air as directed and then use either Lysol or Clorox spray to disinfect your work area?

--------------------
"...Meow."

:handth:

--------------------
is multispore a spore company

Offlinetexas_raised
Getting it
Male

Loc: Best city in Texas
Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: curbstop]
    #11488253 - 11/19/09 07:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Screw that. I went and bought me some cheap disinectant from Wally World and it works just as good. Also try using a bleach solution. Now THAT works better than all of the above.

--------------------

DISCLAIMER:
Anything that has been posted by the user "texas_raised" is all made up and make believe. The user texas_raised is not responsible, nor will be held liable, for anything that is posted, read, and written on this website.

InvisibleReadBeforePosting
Researcher
Loc: Your Chair
Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: texas_raised]
    #11548420 - 11/29/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Oust should not be used as a surface cleaner/disinfectant of any kind.
Oust works by dispensing an oil-like substance (triethylene glycol) as an aerosol.  The result is a blanket of goo mist dragging all the contams in the air down to the floor creating a window of nearly clean air.  Only effective with no drafts, door opening or ac/furnace running.  Lysol is better for surface, 70% iso even better, bleach is for jars and tubs.  This info is available all over the boards, but some of the orig. posts had really bogus info and I couldn't resist.  Also, Shroomist, a six year old bump? The mods like you to try to respond to more current stuff.

InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: ReadBeforePosting]
    #11548465 - 11/29/09 12:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

anytime my bacteria relatives come over for the holidays, i put away my oust as to not offend them.

lol@ the thread being 6 years old btw.:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: Citizen13]
    #11549750 - 11/29/09 03:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I use 99% alcohol in a spray bottle with my glovebox. I have never once used any type of lysol.

Using my glovebox, I have had 2 out of 35 jars contaminate. IMO it is not at all necessary.

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

InvisibleReadBeforePosting
Researcher
Loc: Your Chair
Re: Oust Air Sanitizer -Review and comments upon [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #11550541 - 11/29/09 05:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Personally, I don't think a GB needs to be sterile, just still, which just wetting it while waiting for the air to settle seems to be enough. Also, I'm sure you're aware LongStrangeTrip, but 70% is more effective than 99%, cheaper too in my neck.  I Oust rooms before I do anything that will take awhile in them.  I don't mind lysol as an air cleaner, but too expensive (just like oust) and it doesn't blanket as well.  Too bad iso wont aerosol.  If anyone knows a cheap source of triethylene glycol and a way to aerosol it that'd be keen.  Maybe even a simple, cheaper oil that is slightly miscible could be suspended in water, put in mister, shook just before use and you could spray your own salad-oil based air sanitizer. :smile:  I think on the whole people freak too much about contams. Do it right and you'll be all right.

Offlinefig
spore collector
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: usa east TN blue ridge mt...
    #11550878 - 11/29/09 06:22 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

wow did u guys see how old this thread was hehe

Offlinesansa

#11610572 - 12/08/09 03:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ReadBeforePosting said:
a six year old bump? The mods like you to try to respond to more current stuff.

The posting rules on this forum are a little screwed up. When you post something, the system makes a big deal out of showing you other threads that are similar which suggests you should reply in one of those instead of making a new one.

But if the only ones to reply to are old then you get flack for bumping something old. What difference does it make any way?

Apparently once a topic has been discussed, if that thread dies then no one should talk about that topic ever again?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom