Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets?
    #19993097 -

I just bought one for $30 bucks and I can't seem to get a seasoning layer on it. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I tried seasoning in the over with coconut oil and then trying to fry peppers, potatoes, and onions. I end up with my veggies not browned, a bad smelling kitchen, and a dirty pan with lots of stuck on food bits. Someone help me please!! Right now my skillet has some blackish lumps and I can't tell if it is a seasoning layer or just a layer of burnt food. I am confused, and am so far hating cooking with it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: Psilopsychic]
    #19993201 -

Scrub it good and put a layer of lard on it. It has to be lard or shortening.  Put it in the oven at 350 for an hour or so. Then you will have a seasoned pan. The deep black color comes after years of cooking on it and when you do cook on it, heat it up before you put anything in it. Cast iron has a natural nonstick coating and when you figure it out you will love them. I have my cast and my wife has that fancy waterless cookware crap and right now she is making fajitas with my 19 inch cast.


--------------------
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson

Not My trade list i aint got shit anymore
:drunkdriver:http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19161913:drunkdriver:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: brianstequila]
    #19993833 -

I love my cast iron skillets for use on the Weber grill.  They work super great and I use two of them sometimes one 9" and one 6" and they fit on a medium size grill.  Then have a stainless round piece with a handle for covering it up that will take the grill heat as well.

I always use olive oil in it and it seems to leave a nice coating.  But they have been used a while too...


--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: LunarEclipse] * 1
    #19996381 -

This LINK is what you are looking for.

I was struggling with the same thing after buying a cheap "lodge" brand cast iron. I tried lard, bacon grease, and cooking oils, never used soaps, etc. All oils BEFORE this method failed badly with eggs (the ultimate cast iron test.)

Using the flax oil, baking it on at super high heat, in multiple coatings polymerizes the oil and bonds it with the pan into a relatively speaking bulletproof non-stick coating. It also "seals" the pan, and I can use soap/water to wash it if i cook something like curry in it.

1 protip for cooking eggs - make the pan really hot before you drop the eggs in. Also, get a grill scraper (like a paint scraper) to scrape your pan and/or use a sturdy metal spatula.

I have become a diehard and am on constant lookout for some more pans to add to the collection. Nothing compares to eggs fried in cast iron, or veggies baked in cast iron. Same goes for tortillas slightly warmed and browned...


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: PDU]
    #19996567 -

Olive oil just load that shit up in the pan on the stove top heat that oil up until it is close to smoking... dont light your damn stove on fire! FACT hot oil sucks when you spill it so DONT, FACT oil fires suck trust me dont put water on them if you start one. keep it heated for like 10 minutes or so, drain out the oil and DO NOT WASH YOUR PAN WITH SOAP. if you wipe that pan out with a damp cloth that is good enough, if there is no food particles on there you will get no bacteria.

That is a quick way. The slow way is to just use it and make sure when you put food in, the oil is nice and hot. again do not ever EVER wash it with soap... if you do I will know and you will get a slap.

The more you use it the better it gets. mine is now 19 years with no soap and it is a beauty I just pan fried haloomee cheese in there with no oil and it didnt stick... pro.

enjoy, cast irons are wicked.

Another point of interest, the pan will get hella hot, legit, so keep the element on a slightly lower temp than you normally would


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: PDU]
    #19999932 -

PDU said:
This LINK is what you are looking for.

I was struggling with the same thing after buying a cheap "lodge" brand cast iron. I tried lard, bacon grease, and cooking oils, never used soaps, etc. All oils BEFORE this method failed badly with eggs (the ultimate cast iron test.)

Using the flax oil, baking it on at super high heat, in multiple coatings polymerizes the oil and bonds it with the pan into a relatively speaking bulletproof non-stick coating. It also "seals" the pan, and I can use soap/water to wash it if i cook something like curry in it.

1 protip for cooking eggs - make the pan really hot before you drop the eggs in. Also, get a grill scraper (like a paint scraper) to scrape your pan and/or use a sturdy metal spatula.

I have become a diehard and am on constant lookout for some more pans to add to the collection. Nothing compares to eggs fried in cast iron, or veggies baked in cast iron. Same goes for tortillas slightly warmed and browned...



Thank you for the link, I'm sure it will help me love my skillet!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: Psilopsychic]
    #20000290 -

chemistry of cast iron seasoning

very informative. seasoning takes time and patience, and the right oil.


--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.


:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #20000298 -

LOL!

i just noticed that PDU get there before me. i remember stumbling across this 4 or so years ago and my life has been different ever since.


--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.


:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: brianstequila]
    #20000363 -

brianstequila said:
Scrub it good and put a layer of lard on it. It has to be lard or shortening.  Put it in the oven at 350 for an hour or so. Then you will have a seasoned pan. The deep black color comes after years of cooking on it and when you do cook on it, heat it up before you put anything in it. Cast iron has a natural nonstick coating and when you figure it out you will love them. I have my cast and my wife has that fancy waterless cookware crap and right now she is making fajitas with my 19 inch cast.



This, however I've used various oils before.  Shit I'm cooking with the cast iron my grandma used to cook my dad breakfast on as a kid.  Shit was so old he sand blasted it at first which he later realized was a mistake....

I love the cast iron, they cook so damn evenly.  Theyre so easy to clean and you can use it to cook anything basically.  To clean it I usually just run it under hot water and use a steal scrubber with no soap.  Then I take a paper towel and wipe it dry and get off any residual stuff.  Of course it's easiest to clean the cast iron while it's still hot from cooking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #20000794 -

ive had this skillet for the past 10 years or so, but only really started using it around 4 years ago.
its so heavy, my girlfriend can barely lift it and therefor holds heat VERY well.

i never really treated it in any way fancy, if its for cleaning, i get very little stuff sticking to it anyway, but if i do, cold water and salt make a great abrasive scrub.

after using, i usually just lightly coat it with oil i smear around with a napkin or something.

overall, that thing is invaluable to my cooking and will, in comparison to all that teflon shit, outlast me.


--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: ohmatic]
    #20001959 -

You should NEVER put water in your cast iron unless you're trying to remove the seasoning.

What I always do is to take my pan and boil some water in it to remove absolutely everything in it. Then scrub it down with a green scrub pad and some soap. Dry very well.

Once it's 100% dry I take shortening or bacon grease and put a light coat on it. Throw it in a cold oven at 400F for an hour. Come back while it's still warm and pour off any excess oil then let it finish cooling. Cook some bacon or burgers or something very fatty a few times, then season again skipping the boiling and scrub.

Always make sure to get your pan hot before adding food, never cook acidic things in it and use a sturdy metal spatula to scrape out the excess crap. It's gonna stick for a few weeks, most likely, but it'll get better as you use it more.


--------------------
Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #20002067 -

36fuckin5 said:
You should NEVER put water in your cast iron unless you're trying to remove the seasoning.

What I always do is to take my pan and boil some water in it to remove absolutely everything in it. Then scrub it down with a green scrub pad and some soap.




:confused:
Never use water but use water?

I've always been told not to use soap


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: Shroomism]
    #20002135 -

Yes, use water if you fuck it up and want to remove the seasoning. I had to do it with my pan a couple times before I figured it out. And you wouldn't normally wanna use soap, just wipe it out and heat it to sanitize it, but again if you fuck up your seasoning and have to start over, you should take steps to remove everything from the pan.


--------------------
Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: Psilopsychic]
    #20002246 -

Acidic_Sloth said:
chemistry of cast iron seasoning

very informative. seasoning takes time and patience, and the right oil.



Oh yeah that's the best link!

Here's a cool video if you have a gas stovetop!  It doesn't work to well on electric stovetops.


--------------------


            :crabstyle:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: livingmagic]
    #20002263 -

idk, cold water and salt for mine, and NOTHING ever sticks so i guess im doing something quite right :wink:


--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #20002465 -

Mush 4 Brains said:
brianstequila said:
Scrub it good and put a layer of lard on it. It has to be lard or shortening.  Put it in the oven at 350 for an hour or so. Then you will have a seasoned pan. The deep black color comes after years of cooking on it and when you do cook on it, heat it up before you put anything in it. Cast iron has a natural nonstick coating and when you figure it out you will love them. I have my cast and my wife has that fancy waterless cookware crap and right now she is making fajitas with my 19 inch cast.



This, however I've used various oils before.  Shit I'm cooking with the cast iron my grandma used to cook my dad breakfast on as a kid.  Shit was so old he sand blasted it at first which he later realized was a mistake....

I love the cast iron, they cook so damn evenly.  Theyre so easy to clean and you can use it to cook anything basically.  To clean it I usually just run it under hot water and use a steal scrubber with no soap.  Then I take a paper towel and wipe it dry and get off any residual stuff.  Of course it's easiest to clean the cast iron while it's still hot from cooking.



I only cook with olive oil, the lard I use to season with. I use to restore cast iron cookware. First you put it in a good sized fire to remove rust and old seasoning, second you scrub the fuck out of it with dawn soap and brillo and lastly you reseason it. That is the only time soap should be on it. They cook beautiful,  I can make an omelet with no oils at all and never have it stick. I clean mine with this wierd brush and just hot water, I will try to get a pic of the brush.


--------------------
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson

Not My trade list i aint got shit anymore
:drunkdriver:http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19161913:drunkdriver:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: brianstequila]
    #20002485 -

I like to clean my pans with this!

Bamboo Wok Brush


--------------------


            :crabstyle:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: brianstequila]
    #20002490 -

Here, have to show off big momma too. Cd is just to show size but this is the brush I use to clean it, I think its for a wok but im not sure. It works perfect. My big daddy is a 24 qt dutch oven, its amazing what you can find at flea markets. I just restore them and use the fuck out of them





--------------------
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson

Not My trade list i aint got shit anymore
:drunkdriver:http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19161913:drunkdriver:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: livingmagic]
    #20002493 -

444 said:
I like to clean my pans with this!

Bamboo Wok Brush




Hahaha, beat me to it


--------------------
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson

Not My trade list i aint got shit anymore
:drunkdriver:http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19161913:drunkdriver:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone experienced with cast iron skillets? [Re: brianstequila]
    #20003132 -

Why do you use the brush?


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Anyone cook with Lodge Cast Iron Brainiac 1,017 6 05/25/06 09:33 AM
by soochi
* Anybody have any good cajun style recipes? lukeboots 1,249 6 03/10/06 11:55 AM
by lukeboots
* haubanaro recipes? ZackWyldeFan 795 2 12/11/06 06:20 PM
by PitcherCrab
* kitchenware?
( 1 2 all )
phalloidin 2,014 21 06/18/06 10:07 AM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* My Spaghetti. ***Updated*** GabbaDj 1,297 9 11/06/05 03:03 AM
by Fungi_x
* Fajitas for dinner agar 1,556 5 03/10/07 05:01 PM
by Schwip
* Any Burger better than Fuddruckers? mojuice 1,667 4 12/13/03 06:45 PM
by GabbaDj
* Shroomery Federation of Foodies
( 1 2 3 all )
daimyo 3,758 40 03/22/06 08:18 PM
by GabbaDj

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
4,111 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.