Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable * 1
    #19923026 -

We are lonely but we fear intimacy. We want companionship without the demands of reciprocation.

Agree or disagree?


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Kickle]
    #19923061 -

I personally agree with this statement but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people will disagree.

I see plenty of happy people throughout my day that have bfs/gfs :shrug:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Trippinhighman]
    #19923092 -

I think you're mistaken about them being any different


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Kickle]
    #19923266 -

Right now, I don't feel lonely and I have intimacy.  It certainly has been the other way around in the past.  As a general statement about society?  I have no idea.  My interest in the mainstream has dwindled.  I have no real problems, they are just invented in my head.  I have plenty of food, water and shelter.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Jufin]
    #19923713 -

I listened to an interesting TED Radio Hour on NPR about this very issue. The episode poignantly began with the tale of an elderly woman telling a robotic seal the emotional details of when she became a widow. The narrator had been studying the interaction when it hit her that this elderly woman was surrounded by humans, yet chose to share the most intimate details of her pain with a machine.

An article I read today predicted the rise of wearable audio-based tech (lovingly termed "hearables") and how they will change the socio-cultural landscape much as smartphones have over the past decade. Some researchers predict loss of "deep thinking" since tech allows us to switch between information/topics so quickly (a study was cited in which, ~10 years ago, the average time to switch between computer tabs was about 3 minutes and today the time is 75 seconds).

I don't agree with the OP, either. I think for those truly interested in character development and personal insight, those qualities are sought.


--------------------
full blown human

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Penelope_Tree]
    #19924097 -

I listened to that broadcast too :smile:

What lends credit to the idea IMO is the way people react to genuine affection. It often lands like  finding water in the desert. And to me that suggests people are lonely, that our interactions are self protective and not genuine, and that our use of technology does reflect this as a society.

Social media is a prime example of disingenuous, self protective, and deeply lonely behaviors expressed through technology IMO. But for those who disagree I would like to hear other explanations for the content and framework of the most successful social media sites.


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Kickle]
    #19925563 -

I think there's a leap of logic here. Even if social media is mostly the medium for the expression of our collective loneliness, it doesn't necessarily follow that people naturally fear intimacy and the work it takes to sustain a relationship.


I'll just post a selfie while awaiting other responses.


--------------------
full blown human

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Penelope_Tree]
    #19925584 -

Penelope_Tree said:
I think there's a leap of logic here. Even if social media is mostly the medium for the expression of our collective loneliness, it doesn't necessarily follow that people naturally fear intimacy and the work it takes to sustain a relationship.


I'll just post a selfie while awaiting other responses.



That was weird.  I'm staring at your eye and it blinks and the computer server went down for a couple of seconds.  So the appearance was that you winked at me!  How odd.  Why did you do that?


--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Kickle]
    #19925624 -

Pleasure model robots!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Sun King]
    #19925657 -

Sun King said:
Pleasure model robots!





--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Penelope_Tree]
    #19925730 -

:strokebeard:
I'm half asleep. I just wanted to add that I think technology is causing human interaction to degrade severely in many circumstances.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Kickle] * 1
    #19927706 -

Kickle said:
We are lonely but we fear intimacy. We want companionship without the demands of reciprocation.

Agree or disagree?



Don't quite agree on the fearing intimacy part, I think we as creatures long for intimacy both emotionally and physically but otherwise agree yes.
Any fear of intimacy is a funneled fear of living imo, which yadayada DA yadayada. That or response to emotional development due to genetics, experience or happen stance.
That being said I've been thinking about this same general idea today, and I was wondering if it has to do with a rampant inability to deal with lonliness.
In an episode I was watching they were discussing instagramming/snapchatting/facebooking your food for people to see and how yeah really no-one gives a shit what you're eating, but it got me wondering wtf do people need to have others know what they're eating?
Is it some kind of mental defense?
Like if we can all conjur up images of each other's lives in our memories it's almost like we were there and almost like we weren't alone.

Some people, sure, genuinely excited about their meaningless post/dinner plate, but some people reeeally seem like they need to believe there is some connection there.
Which once again bring me back to us fearing loneliness, as opposed to intimacy. Another reason I see it in that light.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Tropism]
    #19928740 -

Could be I think its worth exploring.

If we fear loneliness, why wouldn't we counter it with intimacy? Why would we seek to counter it with long distance communications about something as irrelevent as food?

To me it makes sense that we would choose something everyday and impersonal because it is mostly devoid of real connection.


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Kickle]
    #19929055 -

Or you could see it as food is a universal experience we all share and therefore is an easy path to connect with others.


--------------------
full blown human

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Penelope_Tree]
    #19929253 -

I don't deny connection. I deny it [the connection] being intimate or as I sloppily posted, real.


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Penelope_Tree] * 1
    #19929274 -

I think all the technology offers us a sort of safety blanket where we don't have to invest a lot of feelings and are still able to achieve some sort of connection.

Like texting, it is such an impersonal thing, its hard to detect emotion in simple text.

I know a few people who post on facebook frequently about how well they are doing, selfies, future plans etc...its very impersonal yet they can reveal/fabricate what they want to because of this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Universaleyeni]
    #19929316 -

Well that's pretty much what I see too. A facade.


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Kickle]
    #19930332 -

About 10 years ago Sclorch came out to visit me in Las Vegas. (Look him up - brilliant poster!) We had never met in real life, but were good friends on PSP. He brought three friends from Florida, all his age and all 25 years younger than me. They initially rejected me because of the age difference, but by the end of a wild movie-type night, we were all close.

I have also met Huehue and his wife for a tasty sunset BBQ, and the next day we went for a day trip down at Lake Mead while zooming big-time. 'Twas an awesome day!

Also became good friends in real life with Prosgeopax and his family in California, and sexy Frog in California.

Have never met Icey nor Veritas, but both I consider true friends. I am finally warming up to RGV after all these years.

Relative newcomer, but old timer, Rool Kat is another I have connected with.

Rahz and I have a technological connection though not an emotional one. Different levels for all.

Rose/Cervantes and I have fought some battles from a long time ago and have a most unusual relationship.

I knew Lunar from along time ago in real life. We once fought for the same woman - caveman style. See: GEICO.

PenelopeTree is my little internet sister. Anyone messing with her will have to deal with the wrathful fury of OC.

Met JoeMolly and his wife from the psychedelic forum. We had a most pleasant and interesting dinner together.

Cannot forgot my longtime bud, Diploid. He is one of the most honest, balanced, well-educated and intelligent members here. I truly hope to meet him one day.

There are so many more. Even my opponents in verbal and ideological battle such as Ped, Shroomism, Trendal, WiccanSeeker and others hold a special place.

Those that I did not mention, do not think I hold you in lesser esteem. :japsmile:


Everyone is interesting if you listen carefully to their stories. How could I have met all these fine people otherwise? Would not have been possible without technology. Not buying your premise. :sorry:


--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (05/02/14 03:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #19930572 -

Well put Org.

I have met 50 or so Shroomerites and I can't think of one I truly disliked, even if I thought I disliked them online. Sometimes putting a face and a voice to a screen name, makes them easier to understand when you get online.

I live in Hawaii. Technology brings me closer to people. This place would be mighty lonely without social media.

I have had to come out as trans to friends and family via phone or Facebook. Not my preferred way of doing that, but it helped. People wouldn't have found me by my new name, or profile pics either, so I kinda' had to do the online thing anyway, even if I lived on the mainland.

I dunno, online life, in a lot of ways allows me a truer form of expression than real life interaction.

So, to answer the OP, I disagree. Or a disagree to a point.

Technology has changed how we interact. It can be quite intimate if you want that, or entirely casual.


--------------------
Fiddlesticks.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Technology gets us where we are most vulnerable [Re: Rose]
    #19930632 -

O.c. And rose bring up good points. I guess its all in how we use the technology.

Look at the wheres icelander thread...people including me, who dont know him irl, miss seeing him around. Isnt that something?

Rose said:
Technology has changed how we interact. It can be quite intimate if you want that, or entirely casual.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* All technology should be abolished: (moved from Information Gap) *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
Lakefingers 5,638 23 06/04/07 09:21 AM
by Epigallo
* Intimacy Veritas 981 6 12/27/05 04:07 PM
by Huehuecoyotl
* Sex, Violence and the search for Intimacy NiamhNyx 1,188 9 01/30/04 12:56 AM
by NiamhNyx
* Intimacy with Divinity felix4life 716 2 06/08/06 02:37 PM
by felix4life
* Fear of intimacy with a man...
( 1 2 all )
upupup 2,564 28 12/13/02 01:14 PM
by Zero7a1
* technology vs god
( 1 2 3 4 all )
spudamore 4,213 62 09/18/08 01:13 AM
by figmentfragment
* The Fear of Intimacy
( 1 2 all )
Poid 1,219 21 01/19/10 01:57 PM
by Poid
* The evolution of human and technology... MOTH 1,199 11 02/24/05 09:13 AM
by CJay

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
3,224 topic views. 3 members, 33 guests and 10 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.